Penn clash vs Daiwa bg

Longliner

Penn clash vs Daiwa bg

Post by Longliner »

Which one do you think is more suitable for btb?
Fishtolive

Re: Penn clash vs Daiwa bg

Post by Fishtolive »

Both.
But Diawa BG might have an edge based on the reviews.
IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

I have one bg and not impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

For BTB I think the waterproofing is probably the most important thing, plus the power to handle bigger fish.
I actually recommend shimano's spheros SW 6000, which is good in both departments.
It's fully sealed and has enough power to handle kings or cobias. They have 5000 size option but it's the same weight (slightly smaller spool) so 6000 size is a good option as it has decent line capacity (200 yards of 30-40lb braid).

The US model is more expensive more than 180$ but the Japanese model can be had for 130$ (US model has better gear and handle material).

At 130$, for a fully sealed saltwater reel, it's one of kind deal!

Penn's slammer III is also fully sealed but it's more expensive and much less smooth. I have slammer III 4500 (about same line capacity as spheros 6000 sw) and it's more than 200$. It's has better drag though.

I heard BG now has a magsealed version but not sure if the seal is on the main axis only or fully sealed.
IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

I’m agreeing with this guy on the sw line from shimano. I have spheros and Saragossa that have stood up to being constantly dunked btb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I would like a Penn slammer with a Penn battalion 7' mh but that reel can put out some serious drag
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

I used to see slammer III sold at 180$ on one website...
The slammer III has been tested by many boat tuna fishermen and kayak BTB fishermen and they seem to agree that this reel will hold with heavy fish and is pretty saltwater safe with minimal maitainance- you won't need to tear it down after each trip - just quick rinse and dry.
Plus this reel is made more visually beautiful than the spheros. It also has a smaller and more compact profile (and has slightly lighter weight than the spheros). Slammer's body & rotor are all metal so it's tougher and more powerful to withstand heavy pull, matching it's higher drag.
On the other hand, spheros sw's design is a bit outdated, practical looking and a bit bulky for its line capacity. The body material is graphite. However, despite lower bearing count, spheros is considerably smoother which is rather amazing.
For surf fishing & whipping plugs, I would go with Spheros.

Longevity wise, Spheros might also have an edge over the slammer despite the graphite body. There is a youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7EdVgG4mY) where a Hawaiian fisherman compares extensively reels for whipping heavy lures. His conclusions is that spheros or saragosa lasted the longest.

Nonetheless, with BTB, since casting is not a problem I think either slammer or spheros is good choice depending on your taste.

A side note: slammer's drag has a different dynamic range from that of many others. The lowest drag you can set (when you turn the knob all the way loose) is still significant. For me this is not a problem since I rarely use loose drag for live baiting.
chadstew

Post by chadstew »

I just got through breaking down a Diawa BG and a Penn Battle II to clean, grease, and oil after BTB, so I thought I'd chime in generally on Diawa or Penn. I don't have any experience with the Clash.

The Diawa BG is a lot smoother, but after a few dunks/splashes with surf on launches, I've never been able to clean it to get it back buttery smooth like it was brand new. It still functions totally fine, though. The Penn is a workhorse. It is easier to break down and clean and feels brand new after every cleaning, even after dunking. After use and multiple cleanings, the Penn is now smoother than the Diawa.

So if you're nice to your reels, I'd use the Diawa BG, but if you anticipate a lot of dunks and aggressive splashes BTB, I'd go with Penn.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I carry a BG 2500 offshore, and although it is supposed to be my live bait and Spanish mackerel reel, it has also landed several solid kings. It's been great with a very smooth drag and gears, but it hasn't been baptized in the surf yet. I am hoping that with the Stealth and its internal rod storage that it will never be an issue and the reels will stay in top shape for a long time.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Changing subjects, has anyone used any of the bailess spinning reels? How do they work on larger fish?
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

The bailess models are popular with the east coast surf fisherman they dont have to worry about the bail slamming shut during a cast.
Barrynoids

bsp Penn clash vs Daiwa bg

Post by Barrynoids »

Im going on a cruise in May and we are at Ketchikan for a whole day... I did some research and was happy to see the Kings are in season then... Has anyone been there, used a guide they like, or have any recommendations?

Thanks