Estes Cove Next Week

ben_beyer

Re: Estes Cove Next Week

Post by ben_beyer »

I'm glad you beought that up because I meant to ask about alternative spots.

Long day and lots of driving...
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Would Rattlesnake point or Port Bay Road be a better launch point or are they about the same?

I'll have to look these areas up on the map and the kayak and wade fishing book when I get home tonight too.
Attachments
Rattlesnake Point.jpg
Port Bay Road.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Would Rattlesnake point or Port Bay Road be a better launch point or are they about the same?

I'll have to look these areas up on the map and the kayak and wade fishing book when I get home tonight too.
Paddling out of Rattlesnake would offer a lot of protection. Along the concrete bulkhead running to the lodge it's mostly sand with patches of grass. Working to the point past the lodge it changes to a softer bottom. With a strong SE wind it should be pushing water through the islands. Out in front of the lodge's beach area is a reef, starts about 250-300 yards. Just be careful not to drift too far away from the point as or you might find yourself in a difficult paddle back to more protected waters. It's a good spot and is a place I enjoy in the summer months.

Port Bay Rd is another option. I've never paddled left of the launch, but there should be reds along the shoreline. As long as the wind doesn't have too much easterly in it, it should't be too difficult of a paddle to get to the marshes. The marshes are going to be flooded right now with the current tide levels. I usually start along the grasslines and into the marshes then setup for drifts afterwards. The area is pretty much solid grass, except over on the Cape Velero shoreline where there's some shell and sand pockets. Heading that far over will make a difficult paddle back to the Port Bay launch.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Also neat to see someone utilizing my Google Map.

P.P.S. - Not being nosy, but I saw you had a tab open for Laredo Taco in Victoria. If you're going to be stopping for a breakfast taco you need to head over to TnT restaurant. It's a little bit out of the way, but it's a darn good breakfast taco and salsa.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote:

P.P.S. - Not being nosy, but I saw you had a tab open for Laredo Taco in Victoria. If you're going to be stopping for a breakfast taco you need to head over to TnT restaurant. It's a little bit out of the way, but it's a darn good breakfast taco and salsa.
[/quote]

I've seen that map before. Didn't know you made it. Great work!

A friend of mine has also told me about TnT. It's usually evening when I roll through Victoria so I don't think about it.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Neumie wrote:
ben_beyer wrote:Would Rattlesnake point or Port Bay Road be a better launch point or are they about the same?

Paddling out of Rattlesnake would offer a lot of protection. Along the concrete bulkhead running to the lodge it's mostly sand with patches of grass. Working to the point past the lodge it changes to a softer bottom. With a strong SE wind it should be pushing water through the islands. Out in front of the lodge's beach area is a reef, starts about 250-300 yards. Just be careful not to drift too far away from the point as or you might find yourself in a difficult paddle back to more protected waters. It's a good spot and is a place I enjoy in the summer months.

Port Bay Rd is another option. I've never paddled left of the launch, but there should be reds along the shoreline. As long as the wind doesn't have too much easterly in it, it should't be too difficult of a paddle to get to the marshes. The marshes are going to be flooded right now with the current tide levels. I usually start along the grasslines and into the marshes then setup for drifts afterwards. The area is pretty much solid grass, except over on the Cape Velero shoreline where there's some shell and sand pockets. Heading that far over will make a difficult paddle back to the Port Bay launch.

Hope this helps.

I would also like to say thank you for creating that map. I have been to the page many times to research launch spots on the coast.

I will also check out TnT next time I am in Victoria.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie also carries the nicest set of printed and laminated kayak charts you could ever imagine.
He was asking for fishing buddies this weekend - I hope you're trying to hook up...
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:He was asking for fishing buddies this weekend - I hope you're trying to hook up...
I'm heading up towards Port O'Conner, well probably Indianola or Charlie's Bait Camp really.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie wrote:I'm heading up towards Port O'Conner, well probably Indianola or Charlie's Bait Camp really.
Awesome - good luck, I'm jealous, would love to fish Shoalwater Bay with you.
Too many things to do around here, including my acre lawn is a jungle
Cory.Ogle1

Post by Cory.Ogle1 »

Ben, If your heading to the port bay area let me know, think that's where I'll headed this weekend. Or possibly even shamrock area if I feel like dealing with the crowds.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I should be but I'll let you know if I can't make it tomorrow. I'm planning on launching from Port Bay road and fishing towards the marsh that is towards the northeast.

It seems my drift sock won't be arriving until tomorrow evening so I won't have it. I am thinking about setting up my anchor or if shallow enough using my stakeout pole to help control my drift. I.E. drift a little, anchor down, cast a few times, pick up and repeat.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:I should be but I'll let you know if I can't make it tomorrow. I'm planning on launching from Port Bay road and fishing towards the marsh that is towards the northeast.

It seems my drift sock won't be arriving until tomorrow evening so I won't have it. I am thinking about setting up my anchor or if shallow enough using my stakeout pole to help control my drift. I.E. drift a little, anchor down, cast a few times, pick up and repeat.
Run to Academy and buy a 5 lbs dumbbell. Add rope and by changing the angle of the line by how much you let out you should be able to control your drift. Old window weights from antique/salvage shops work too.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I believe my anchor is 5 lbs. and folds up. Could I just drag that?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-lim ... tid=942304

I could take some rope to secure the locking ring so it doesn't open up too.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:I believe my anchor is 5 lbs. and folds up. Could I just drag that?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-lim ... tid=942304

I could take some rope to secure the locking ring so it doesn't open up too.
Yup, that should work the same. It should be less fuss and equal more fishing time than setting an anchor, make a few casts, retrieve anchor, drift down a bit, set anchor......lather, rinse, repeat.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I went to the Port Bay road launch today. I debated getting out and fishing due to the winds and someone at the launch suggested I go to the south and fish around the marsh just below the launch.

I'm glad I went that route even though I didn't catch anything. I fought the wind when I was fresh and then just used it to help me get back in.

It was too windy to fish though. I saw a redfish eating and couldn't get it to take anything I threw. Not sure if I'm going to go out tomorrow morning since it's just going to be a little less windy. If I go it's going to be Wilson's again or Dead Mans hole.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

any time on your boat counts for good experience, especially making safe choices under extreme conditions
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I agree and I looked at the fact I didn't need to go far.

I went out behind the subdivision by Island Moorings Marina this morning. I caiught a pin perch, a 10" trout, and a 12" red. I went back into a grass marsh type area that doesn't really show up on the satellite view.

It was fun to go to a new area but once the wind picked up I headed in. The houses helped block the wind but that last stretch once you round the corner had the wind directly in my face.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190525-121418_Maps.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the channels there can be rough in a big wind - the wind can drive some stiff current
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I checked out the Corpus Christi Pass kayak launch (the one closest to Deads Man Hole) and I really didn't like the road. I woke up and the weather called for 14-15 mph winds so I decided to give Wilson's Cut a shot. Shortly after I made the turn to go to Pink Shack Cove, the wind really picket up.

I drifted over the flat because I knew how I could get back even though I was going to have to go straight in to the wind. I wanted to fish that first drain on the south side and I knew I could pull in to a protected area, anchor, and just cast into the drain. Drifting the flat I caught a small redfish and that was it for the day. Tough paddle back but I'm glad I went.

Maybe next time I come I'll have a Tarpon 140 or 160. With kid #2 on due in August I have time to save up my fun money to get one and maybe have something better for exploring and fishing these areas than my Coosa HD. I also plan to get some wading boots and ray guards.
Attachments
20190526_090804.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

This coming Saturday morning, somebody should be drifting their kayak across the Aransas Bay side of Big Cut.
New moon, neek tide overnight, strong falling tide beginning at 8am. SSE 12-13kt.
I'm not going to get to play, but somebody should be there, then drift-fish Estes for reds back to Palm Harbor.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Ron: I'll be doing that area tomorrow in my skiff. It's just like a big, wide kayak, with a 9.8 OB on the back. It drifts nice with a 36" sock, dragging 3 baits. Saturday's supposed to be a little bit better, but it's a weekend. TexasJim
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

What skiff is that out of curiosity?
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

ben: It's a 1958 14-foot aluminum vee-bow rowboat I modified into a flats skiff with a flat deck and open cockpit, a trolly motor and a 9.8 Merc OB. I call it my Low-Tech Poling Skiff. I'm not able to post pics here, but I E-mailed Ron a pic. Pics are on TexasFishing Forum, Jon Boats. Neat fishing boat. I'm planning on rigging some yak holders, so I can mother-ship my 12' Pescador. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Jim shared photos with me, his skiff is pretty trick - he did really nice work
nice thing about your skiff Jim, you can hit any/all the cuts from Outside Beach to Corpus Bayou and beyond.

In the 90s, my folks spent a couple of Octobers at Key Allegro, with my dad's boat going out every morning - this is my dad's boat, happens to be Palm Harbor 7 years ago, with my daughters and Steve's daughters. Image
Of course we'd always find trout on St. Jo shore and the lakes, from Long Reef to Allyn's Bight, but the cuts from Estes to Quarantine shore were just as productive on a falling tide. Quite a few mornings with big trout stick out in my memory, also big black drum.
Steve and I once paddled the width of LHL to the marker 27 cut on Lydia Ann Beach. Sight-fished slashing jacks on a fly rod from the hard pack slope. Last fall, a report on corpusfishing found smacks at the mouth of Corpus Bayou.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri May 31, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Nice. I have my grandfather's 1972 Mercury 9.8 outboard. The last time it was run was the summer of 2000 (I think). I plan to get it to a mechanic to get the impeller and lower unit oil changed and to run it.

My dad still has his MonArk 1648 jon boat that we originally ran the 9.8 on until he got a 25 hp. I'm keeping the 9.8 and looking around at options for a small jon boat that I can fish with my sons when they get old enough. I'd like to get something more but need to see where I am financially at the time and if nothing else it would get us off the shore and the ability to get from spot to spot.