Spring weather: how do you get ready for paddling offshore?

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Spring weather: how do you get ready for paddling offshore?

Post by Prof. Salt »

While the weather is sloppy the waters offshore continue to warm up, I know that when we get a window the fish will be waiting for us so I have been wanting to ensure that I'm in shape to get some fish. I have started heading to the marina downtown after work with the kayak to put in miles and keep the paddling muscles in shape. Yesterday the winds were sustained over 20mph but the protected marina had chop much smaller than the open bay. Wind is just not that much fun, but when you can maintain a decent clip even facing into a howling wind, it's not that bad. The sailboat rigging all around the marina was singing a creepy song with all its moaning and clanking but paddling was nice. As a bonus I slept like a baby last night!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Spring weather: how do you get ready for paddling offshore?

Post by Ron Mc »

I love the song of ringing halyards in a marina.
btw, a bike is a great way to burn calories and work on your aerobic health, also a fun way to do it.
If you're doing it correctly, not leaning on the handlebars, it uses the same core muscles you paddle with.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed May 08, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

That's a good point. Paddling in tough conditions is more enjoyable now that I've learned how to paddle with arms locked to use the core some of the time. I break it up between "normal" paddling to using my core, and it really gives me a nice workout while spreading the work to different muscle groups.
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

I think it's a pretty good core work out to battle the surf not to mention the excitement!

https://youtu.be/_03IROCM_Ys
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Nice! At the age of 50 I'll leave the tumbling surf to you younger guys while I just work on the muscle groups. When it's go time I'll show up, but for now you guys enjoy the surf sessions and keep sharing!