Kayaking, a story of survival

Tombo

Kayaking, a story of survival

Post by Tombo »

https://kayakanglermag.com/brandstream/ ... 6-89956509

Borrowed this true story, gave me chills. Puts everything in perspective for me.
Cityfisher

Re: Kayaking, a story of survival

Post by Cityfisher »

Man that is scary! That definitely makes you think.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Yeah, if you buy a SINK, you should put flotation of some kind in the bow and stern, at least. If you don't plan for the worst, the worst will happen, and if you're not prepared, you're in trouble.
I traveled 30,000 miles between Galveston and Venezuela in 38-foot boats, and unexpected things WILL happen. I was always able to get out of trouble. Plan B. Plan C., etc. Be prepared.
TexasJim
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Yeah... Sit-in kayak, huge bay, great idea! He was lucky this didn't happen to him many years before. That's natural selection right there
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

Good read, thanks for sharing. I fish alone 99% of the time, but in marshes and on shorelines. I wear my PFD also. I typically take a screen shot from google maps of the area I'll be fishing and text it to my wife. That way she'll know the general area I'm in if I don't come home...although she may wait a few days to call for help... :lol: I can see where fishing alone would be a concern if you were going BTB or in large, open water. It's probably best to go with a group in those situations.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

txbrett wrote:Good read, thanks for sharing. I fish alone 99% of the time, but in marshes and on shorelines. I wear my PFD also. I typically take a screen shot from google maps of the area I'll be fishing and text it to my wife. That way she'll know the general area I'm in if I don't come home...although she may wait a few days to call for help... :lol: I can see where fishing alone would be a concern if you were going BTB or in large, open water. It's probably best to go with a group in those situations.
I do the same.