Diverse

NavionicsSpecJason

Diverse

Post by NavionicsSpecJason »

Salt marsh is a diverse ecosystem. I caught a largemouth, stingray, and redfish within 150 yards of each other. The largemouth and redfish on a gold spoon, the ray on a popping cork (I wasn’t moving the cork, I had a tangled mess in my boat)Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crusher

Re: Diverse

Post by crusher »

That is a diverse trio. In principal it makes perfect sense, but I haven't seen that in the Galveston or Freeport areas. I could do without the ray, and the only time I caught bass and a red in proximity to each other was near Lafitte, La. You will remember that expedition - glad you posted.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That’s pretty cool. Can’t say I’ve witnessed a LMB and a redfish being caught right next to each other. I’ve fished some of the local Brazoria County watersheds above and below the saltwater/freshwater boundary, as defined by TP&W, and have gotten freshwater species like sunfish and LMB in the saltwater zone, but not at the same time getting a redfish or anything else known as a saltwater fish.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Colletto Creek used to have Reds and Bass in the lake together. Don't know what happened to the reds there but TPWD shows them to be there. Good job!
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

I've caught read and bass at Fairfield lake years ago.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yeah, it depends on how stable the system is or when the reds are just pushing back in after a fresh period. Marsh and oyster reef is the most productive estuary systems we have. Granted many times the reds in the marsh are small because those are typically where the juvi reds grow up.. not always though. But always lots of action.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I fished a bayou in Louisiana in October 2018 and caught 2 redfish, 2 flounder, 21 specks, and a largemouth bass.
zehtx6767

Post by zehtx6767 »

I caught a 26” red in downtown Houston a month ago fishing for bass. Caught a few bass, bite turned off, was about to head home, then one last cast and bam! Knew I didn’t hook a bass with how it was fighting, but wasn’t expecting a red. Light gear and a paddle tail. Never forget that day. The fish I drive an hour to catch usually is sitting in my backyard. I was shaking for 20 minutes afterwards. These fish show up in unexpected places for sure.

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

zehtx6767 wrote:I caught a 26” red in downtown Houston a month ago fishing for bass. Caught a few bass, bite turned off, was about to head home, then one last cast and bam! Knew I didn’t hook a bass with how it was fighting, but wasn’t expecting a red. Light gear and a paddle tail. Never forget that day. The fish I drive an hour to catch usually is sitting in my backyard. I was shaking for 20 minutes afterwards. These fish show up in unexpected places for sure.

Yeah, but you can usually eat the 26" red you catch an hour away. The one downtown? Not so sure about that.
zehtx6767

Post by zehtx6767 »

Oh yeah no way. CPR on that guy. It’s my spot when I get skunked and want to catch a fish. Can always count on catching a bass there. Would never eat anything out of downtown Houston waters. I thought that went without saying...

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

So now that we have cleared that up, what did you catch it on?
zehtx6767

Post by zehtx6767 »

Chicken boy whippin chicken 1/4 jig head.