Buying Used Hobie - Any advice on what to look for

MTStringerS

Buying Used Hobie - Any advice on what to look for

Post by MTStringerS »

I am looking to buy a used Hobie PA14. I have a few I have found to go look at. Any advice on things I should look for? Issues I should make sure it does or does not have? I am looking at 2017 or 2018 models so anything on the MD 180 that I might need to look at specifically?

Basically any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Buying Used Hobie - Any advice on what to look for

Post by Ron Mc »

With my buddy's 2018 Revo, he's never used reverse, but the theory is the reversible Mirage drive introduced in 2017 has improved reliability over the previous.
https://www.hobie.com/blog/hobie-introd ... ystem,562/
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

On the mirage drive look for scrape marks on the bottom of the housing (the gray part). If the drive has been pulled across oyster beds or hit anything like a stump hard enough to do any damage it would likely show up. Also move the pedals back and forth with the drive in your hands. If you feel any bumps or rough spots that's a sign the drive hasn't been cleaned/maintained. And finally make sure the rods that the fins are mounted to are straight.

On the kayak obviously look for deep scratches but ask how and where it has been stored. Outside is hard on kayaks especially if they're not stored properly. Hobie recommends not storing their kayaks on it's side and will not honor a warranty if they know it's been stored this way.

Also if you get one that doesn't have a gasket under the front storage hatch lid I recommend ordering one. It's just a peel and stick front hatch seal but the front hatches will leak without it. I found the rod tubes for the rod storage on my 2016 were leaking so I pulled them out and sealed the ends up with Goop Marine. About the only time I find water in the hull is after I've taken it through the car wash and even then it's less than a cup.

Best of luck.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Not specific to Hobie's, but make sure it's not stolen. Get a bill of sale that matches the hull ID number, and definitive ID of who sold it to you. That way, if it does turn out to be stolen, you can point to popo in the right direction.

In my search for a 2nd hand kayak, I ran into a couple of guys who had been bit buying stolen kayaks- finding out too late. That leads me to believe it's pretty prevalent- because I didn't talk to that many people. We also had a kayak (a Hobie, BTW) disappear out of our waterfront back yard in Galveston. Live and learn. And they recently found yet another batch of stolen kayaks for sale in Corpus Christi. Search "stolen kayaks Corpus Christi" for more info.
Seekfishing

Re: RE: Re: Buying Used Hobie - Any advice on what to look for

Post by Seekfishing »

impulse wrote:Not specific to Hobie's, but make sure it's not stolen. Get a bill of sale that matches the hull ID number, and definitive ID of who sold it to you. That way, if it does turn out to be stolen, you can point to popo in the right direction.

In my search for a 2nd hand kayak, I ran into a couple of guys who had been bit buying stolen kayaks- finding out too late. That leads me to believe it's pretty prevalent- because I didn't talk to that many people. We also had a kayak (a Hobie, BTW) disappear out of our waterfront back yard in Galveston. Live and learn. And they recently found yet another batch of stolen kayaks for sale in Corpus Christi. Search "stolen kayaks Corpus Christi" for more info.
Great advice

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Leaks, will negate any bargain you think you had.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

[quote="impulse"]Not specific to Hobie's, but make sure it's not stolen. Get a bill of sale that matches the hull ID number, and definitive ID of who sold it to you.

I would ask for the MSO. This may not guarantee it's not stolen but helps remove a lot of doubt for me.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SWFinatic wrote:
impulse wrote:Not specific to Hobie's, but make sure it's not stolen. Get a bill of sale that matches the hull ID number, and definitive ID of who sold it to you.
I would ask for the MSO. This may not guarantee it's not stolen but helps remove a lot of doubt for me.

That's great if the MSO is available, and I may go that way unless the 'yak was a great deal. But kayaks often change hands several times as people upgrade, find out they don't like it, or just need to clear their garage. Unlike motorized boats, you can run a kayak for decades without needing the documents.

So some of the best deals are going to come without an MSO. (And some of the MSO's I've gotten with brand new inflatables and kayaks looked like they came from a 12 year old with a laser printer.) So I wouldn't pass up a great deal just because the MSO has gone missing.

A few months ago, I ended up with a tremendous deal on 2 kayaks from a guy who was just cleaning his storage shed. He didn't have the MSO, but his wife had a detective's badge, so I figured I was good. But I still made sure I could point the police in the right direction if they came up later as stolen.

Edit: BTW, a guy once replied to a post of mine on 2Cool indicating he had gotten a couple of MSO's from the manufacturer after buying used kayaks. So I guess it's possible if you want a title so you can install any kind of motor.
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Thanks for all the advice. I did take the plunge a few weeks back and bought a 2017 PA14. So far I love it. Still getting used to being close to the water and sitting a lot more but it has been fun. Every trip I learn a little more about getting around and how I need to move things around so it fits this new style of fishing for me.

Once I figure out how to put a pic on here I will share a photo or two.