Is it still early for topwater and fishing the shallows in places like Bastrop?

Luckee

Is it still early for topwater and fishing the shallows in places like Bastrop?

Post by Luckee »

Greetings after a long time away from Texas for me :)

I may be able to replace someone on a business trip out to Austin next week . . . but I'll only do it if there's some bass fishing around the area. In mid/late March, is the water warm enough for topwater and fishing the shallows in places like lake Bastrop?

I'm under pressure to make a decision soon. Not sure what to do! Go, or wait for a chance later in the season? I really like fishing them on the fly, preferably on top.

Thanks!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Is it still early for topwater and fishing the shallows in places like Bastrop?

Post by Ron Mc »

red accents on the bottom of flies is the color that brings them up early season

I've tied cats whiskers with a outside fold of red chenille to imitate the gills and belly - tie it in to drop out in mid-wrap of the chenille body, finish the chenille body wrap, pull the red strand forward and tie it off.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Is it still early for topwater and fishing the shallows in places like Bastrop?

Post by karstopo »

The bass here in Lake Jackson have just turned on to topwaters.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Not sure it would apply, but I was catching a bunch of bass on buzzbaits and poppers last Sunday at a tank on my ranch. Of course this cold front today may push them deep again temporarily. I would throw topwater, especially at a warm water like Bastrop.
Luckee

Post by Luckee »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! That is definitely encouraging to hear, though I missed the window to make the trip on the company dime. Might yet make it out, though it could be later in April.

You have such great bass fishing out there. Hope it's a great springtime for everybody :)