Christmas bay 2/3

jgg696

Christmas bay 2/3

Post by jgg696 »

Hey guys, just got back from christmas bay, paddled all the way to N. shore and waded. Nada, was using live shrimp and caught a ray. Used live shrimp for most of the drifting (since someone gave it away at the launch :D ) but wasn't getting any bites. Couldn't believe it. Caught a flounder on gulp mullet to save the skunk. Has anyone experienced fishing conditions like that? There was a lot of mullet jumping around at times, couldn't get any bites on any of my artificials, nor the shrimp.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Christmas bay 2/3

Post by karstopo »

Better luck next time. Try HEB for the guaranteed fish.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

On our last Estes trip, new moon, we saw copious bait, we saw fish, nothing was eating until 2pm, when we caught redfish, including two slot fish for our dinner. When we filleted them, they had not eaten a thing before they took our lures. So yes, fish can be there and shut down when everything else says they should be eating.
Supposed to warm up 10 more degrees tomorrow, with rain coming on Wed.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

jgg696 wrote:Hey guys, just got back from christmas bay, paddled all the way to N. shore and waded. Nada, was using live shrimp and caught a ray. Used live shrimp for most of the drifting (since someone gave it away at the launch :D ) but wasn't getting any bites. Couldn't believe it. Caught a flounder on gulp mullet to save the skunk. Has anyone experienced fishing conditions like that? There was a lot of mullet jumping around at times, couldn't get any bites on any of my artificials, nor the shrimp.
I had similar results from my trip from Friday @ San Bernard. How was the water clarity/ wind over there?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

karstopo wrote:Better luck next time. Try HEB for the guaranteed fish.
:mrgreen:

That is why I don't like fishing open bay -- when it churns up, fishing turns into a grind. Or you have to bounce around a lot looking for feeders, which is hard to do in a kayak.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

Chubs wrote:
jgg696 wrote:Hey guys, just got back from christmas bay, paddled all the way to N. shore and waded. Nada, was using live shrimp and caught a ray. Used live shrimp for most of the drifting (since someone gave it away at the launch :D ) but wasn't getting any bites. Couldn't believe it. Caught a flounder on gulp mullet to save the skunk. Has anyone experienced fishing conditions like that? There was a lot of mullet jumping around at times, couldn't get any bites on any of my artificials, nor the shrimp.
I had similar results from my trip from Friday @ San Bernard. How was the water clarity/ wind over there?
It wasn't too dirty, a little greenish for the most part.. When I was wading at the north end, it was clear.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

Crusader wrote:
karstopo wrote:Better luck next time. Try HEB for the guaranteed fish.
:mrgreen:

That is why I don't like fishing open bay -- when it churns up, fishing turns into a grind. Or you have to bounce around a lot looking for feeders, which is hard to do in a kayak.

Yes!! Can't bounce around in a yak haha. Think I'll stick to the bayous/ canals.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Could of hit the cuts from Christmas Bay to Churchill Bayou. Some of them drop off to deep holes.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

OrangeQuest wrote:Could of hit the cuts from Christmas Bay to Churchill Bayou. Some of them drop off to deep holes.
I was gonna try that, but wanted to hit the NW side since I hadn't done that before.