Kayaking the Perimeter/Shoreline of Lake Travis

Feanturi

Kayaking the Perimeter/Shoreline of Lake Travis

Post by Feanturi »

Howdy friends!

I'm located in Austin/Cedar Park and primarily paddle on Lake Travis whenever I'm able to get out. I joined this forum to ask this question because I couldn't find an answer anywhere else on the interweb. (Maybe I hadn't looked hard enough) I love fishing but wouldn't call myself an angler, I just love to paddle.

That being said, has anyone on here kayaked the whole shoreline/ perimeter of Lake Travis? Or do you know of anyone who has? How long it took them? Where they camped maybe? Other tips or insights? I realize this is a massive undertaking as Lake Travis is about 60 nautical miles long one way. I want to take on the endeavor but certainly want to plan ahead and prepare.

I have and early 80's Cypress Dagger (12') and am thinking about asking friends or family to leave food drops at certain point along the lake. I also plan and camping at certain spots along the lake.

Please let me know if you or anyone has any experience with this. Thanks in advance!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Kayaking the Perimeter/Shoreline of Lake Travis

Post by Ron Mc »

you'll need to decide how far up the river arms you want to go, past Spicewood up the Colorado arm?

from Cedar Park, I'd be paddling Lake Georgetown.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You're talking about a long kayak ride along the banks ALL THE WAY AROUND. I guess it would take you a week to be able to fish the entire shoreline including branches and arms off the main lake. You would have to fish for 18 hours a day as well. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

My biggest concern would be wind. If you find yourself paddling a north shoreline for a few days in a strong south wind it could make for a long few days
Feanturi

Post by Feanturi »

Ron Mc wrote:you'll need to decide how far up the river arms you want to go, past Smithville up the Colorado arm?

from Cedar Park, I'd be paddling Lake Georgetown.
I understand that's way south on the Colorado. I won't be near that area. I'm focused on the stretch of water from Mansfield Dam to Spicewood or maybe Marble Falls.

Agreed though, Lake Georgetown would be good training.

kickingback wrote:You're talking about a long kayak ride along the banks ALL THE WAY AROUND. I guess it would take you a week to be able to fish the entire shoreline including branches and arms off the main lake. You would have to fish for 18 hours a day as well. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Haha. I know!! Talk about a long haul! I won't be doing any fishing though so that's ok. I don't have the Dagger (a sit in) rigged for fishing anyway. Thanks! Will keep you posted on the process and the trip!
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:My biggest concern would be wind. If you find yourself paddling a north shoreline for a few days in a strong south wind it could make for a long few days
Oldmanyoungsalt,

Thank you! I hadn't thought about that. I'll plan accordingly. Most of the first half of the trip with be north by northwest out to Spicewood/Marble Falls.

I'm still looking through places to stay. Pace Bend on the east side of the park is one spot I'll camp but I still need other spots along the river. If you guys can think of any others, please holler!! Thanks guys!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

of course I meant Spicewood, haven't been on Travis since the 90s, when I sailed an O'Day there.
When I lived there you drove around the lake to get away from traffic.
Lake Georgetown is good fishing, also
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

You’d better plan on at least a month