Missing Kayaker at SLP

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Missing Kayaker at SLP

Post by karstopo »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/coas ... -luis-pass

Charles Ferguson, 49. Be careful out there.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Missing Kayaker at SLP

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Not Again.... We need an education course for Kayakers. Every winter we loose one or two, I believe there was a near miss about a week ago in west bay as well. Some guys found a hobie drifting with a stringer tied to it but the Coast Guard or Sheriff had picked them up.

I hope they find Charles but its not looking good at this point.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

If someone ends up in the water this time of year, they had better have a solid plan or two in place for getting out of the water pretty quickly. Otherwise, hypothermia is going to rapidly wreck havoc on any chance of self rescuing. Really don’t know what happened, but this is a bad time of year to be missing out on the water for long.
osorojotx

Post by osorojotx »

Cold water and strong currents should not be underestimated. Please pray for Chuck and Jodi, his wife, and their family.

I know most of the fisherman on this forum are fully capable and wise enough to wear their PFD as well as take the other measures to ensure they make it back home, but to anybody who thinks it can't happen to you - it can. Wear your PFD, have a radio, share your float plan, go with a partner, cinch your waders, know the conditions, and know your limits. Don't operate by fear, but consider the risk associated with your plan and mitigate/alter accordingly.

It's been said a thousand times, and sadly, this surely won't be the last fisherman to go too soon. Be smart. Listen to the decades of wisdom. The fear associated with the pass is real and there for a reason.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Current on NE side of Mud Island at SLP can be extremely strong in certain conditions. About a month ago I had to fight it on my way back from Bastrop bay. Me and my buddy definitely did not expect it to be this bad -- ended up paddling about 3 times longer than originally anticipated at the top of our ability (doing 1-1.5mph at best according to GPS). It was brutal -- when we finally reached the point where you can rest (that point close to Titlum's mouth) we were exhausted and it was well past sunset (total darkness). Beware of that side of the island guys... Unless you know exactly what you are doing, take a route through Titlum.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Same thing happened to a friend of mine.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

There is no underestimating the naivete'(or ignorance) of the general public. Before I left Galveston in my sailboat in 1983, I prepped, prepped and over-prepped. I got into The Bahamas and met people, who had never sailed before, who went to the Ft. Likkerdale Boat Show, bought a sailboat, went to the grocery store, then set off across the Gulfstream to 100,000 square miles of islands and reefs, with minimal navigation lights and buoys. I felt like Magellan! The ocean makes NO ALLOWANCES for amateurs and weak parts. The ignorant and unprepared WILL suffer maladies.
Until the government requires licensing of mariners, meaning showing knowledge AND proficiency in things nautical, there will be those that will get themselves into life-threatening situations. Even then, probably. I am NOT in favor of any such programs, and they wouldn't work anyway. The USCG Captain's License program awards licenses to people that scare me badly.
Kayakers that go out in bad conditions, with inadequate gear and won't wear a PFD, will always make the headlines, sadly. You can't fix STUPID. TexasJim
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Last edited by shoffer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

One might think that at least the kayak would have shown up somewhere at this point. It does seem reasonable that a green kayak could be out in the expanse of the gulf and be too difficult to spot even from the air. It’s also possible that the kayak had a hull breach and is so low in the water that it would be almost impossible to see from any distance. Polyethylene floats doesn’t it so it’s hard to see how a kayak would completely sink even with the hull compromised. I guess a tethered anchor could be enough to sink a water logged kayak.

How difficult is it to successfully stage a fake death? I guess that’s possible, but it would seem to take some considerable advance planning and potentially an accomplice or two. I would think there would be signs or tracks left behind of such a plan. I wonder how much investigation into that angle is typically done?

It’s a sad story at any rate. I do hope Mr Ferguson is still alive somewhere, that beats the alternative.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I hope they find him safe and sound on some rig somewhere in the Gulf, but the objective facts look dire.
Last edited by shoffer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Interesting...I think it would be fun to be the “finder” in these cases of pseudocide.
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

There is no underestimating the naivete'(or ignorance) of the general public. Before I left Galveston in my sailboat in 1983, I prepped, prepped and over-prepped. I got into The Bahamas and met people, who had never sailed before, who went to the Ft. Likkerdale Boat Show, bought a sailboat, went to the grocery store, then set off across the Gulfstream to 100,000 square miles of islands and reefs, with minimal navigation lights and buoys. I felt like Magellan! The ocean makes NO ALLOWANCES for amateurs and weak parts. The ignorant and unprepared WILL suffer maladies.
Until the government requires licensing of mariners, meaning showing knowledge AND proficiency in things nautical, there will be those that will get themselves into life-threatening situations. Even then, probably. I am NOT in favor of any such programs, and they wouldn't work anyway. The USCG Captain's License program awards licenses to people that scare me badly.
Kayakers that go out in bad conditions, with inadequate gear and won't wear a PFD, will always make the headlines, sadly. You can't fix STUPID. TexasJim
Spoken like a true narcissist. While you're compassion and empathy for this missing man and his family are genuinely touching, I seen no evidence that he acted in a reckless or irresponsible manner. Even if he went out legally drunk and bare naked, arrogant rants like this one serve no purpose.

Thoughts and prayers for Charles Ferguson and his family during this difficult time.
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

Was he ever found? I haven’t heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Outlaw, thanks for getting this thread back on track.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Prayers for Mr Fergusen. I heard the news Thurs. Always saddens me when a fellow yaker is missing, :(.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Happy to have never been there, but it seems like a good paddle leash and holding onto the paddle is the best approach to keep you from separating from your buoyant boat, no matter which end is up.
The situation I have been in is having an oblivious power boat heading straight for me and the sun. The only thing I know to do is hold the paddle up high while making noise.
I hold the paddle high when I'm waiting my turn to cross the ICW and a power boat is coming down the channel - they always like that and wave with a smile.
Wutevs

Post by Wutevs »

Not good.

https://www.marshallnews.com/story/2578505.html

"Some of Ferguson’s property has been located — a woman who lives in the area found the kayak and brought it home. When she saw reports on the news, she gave it to the Coast Guard. In addition, his life jacket was also located. Ferguson’s truck was parked near an estuary."
Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

Sorry to hear.

I often kayak solo in that area and one of the things that I've done to minimize some of the risk of kayaking solo is that I always carry a PLB with me (in addition to a cell phone, radio, and other safety equipment). There are a few brands out there but this is the one I have:

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb

I bought mine for around 200 bucks when it was on sale and had a rebate and I think it is cheap insurance should something unfortunate happen.

Just thought I'd share.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Ciguatera wrote:One of the things that I've done to minimize some of the risk of kayaking solo is that I always carry a PLB with me (in addition to a cell phone, radio, and other safety equipment).
That's a good idea. I did a little research on this. Some versions will automatically deploy when it gets below a certain water depth; others require manual deployment, which is of no use if the user is unconscious and unable to deploy it. See screenshot below:
Capture.JPG
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Saw this on 2Cool tacked from a facebook page. Apparently, his funeral was yesterday. I did a little more digging and here is a recent video in 2018 of he and his wife and their family story. He had two daughters (grown) and an autistic son and he and his wife apparently founded Camp Blessing (https://campblessing.org/our-people/), a summer camp for disabled kids. So sad. https://vimeo.com/289743813.

I am extremely saddened to report the presumed passing of a fellow Aggie and former cadet, Dr. Charles E. “Chuck” Ferguson ’92 (A-1 & D-2). Chuck has been missing since Tues/1 Jan, when he went kayak fishing in San Luis Pass at the southern end of Galveston Island.

Chuck’s locked truck was located Weds (2 Jan) near the area in which he was reportedly fishing (San Luis Pass), which is widely recognized for its dangerous tidal currents that flow into and out of Galveston Bay. It wasn’t known until later that his dry bag had been found late Tuesday morning by another fisherman, washed up on Follett’s Beach. Yet another person found Chuck’s kayak in that general area around the same time, but was unaware of the missing kayaker until hearing news reports late Weds evening.

Memorial services for Dr. Charles (Chuck) Ferguson will be held this Wednesday (9 Jan) at 2:00 PM at Cypress Bible Church, located at 11711 Cypress North Houston Rd, Cypress, TX, 77429.

Dr. Ferguson will be remembered as a loving husband and father, selfless servant of his patients, a proud A&M graduate and an avid fisherman. In lieu of flowers, the Ferguson family requests all donations go to Camp Blessing Texas (7227 Camp Blessing Ln, Brenham, TX, 77833 or campblessing.org).

Please keep Chuck, his family and his many friends in your thoughts and prayers. H
--------------------
Released by the USCG on Friday evening, 4 Jan '19.
An extensive 41-hour search was conducted covering an area of 2,638 square miles.
Involved in the search were:
•An Air Station Houston MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew
•A Station Freeport 45-foot Response Boat & crew
•A Sector/Air Station Corpus Christi HC-144 Ocean Sentry aircrew
•The Coast Guard Cutter Beluga
•Galveston Island Police Department
•Galveston Island Beach Patrol
"It's always an incredibly difficult decision to suspend a search," said Lt. Mike Hart, Sector Houston-Galveston command duty officer. "We have to consider all the factors involved in the case, and we never make the decision lightly. Our condolences go out to Mr. Ferguson's family and friends."
Coast Guard Sector Houston-Galveston watch-standers received a call from the wife of the missing kayaker after he failed to contact her Wednesday. She also reported that Galveston Beach Patrol had found his truck locked, but without the kayak.
Anyone with information on the missing kayaker can contact the Sector Houston-Galveston Command Center at 281-464-4853. -USCG-
https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne.../502-626282748
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

So sad. Another example of why you should wear your PFD at all times. If he had a heart attach or something his body at least might have been found by now.
Prayers to his family.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Thanks for sharing. I guess we will never know the exact circumstances that led to this tragic story. Be careful out there.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

JW Fun Guy - thanks for posting the sad ending to this story. What a tragic loss.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

always hate to hear anyone not making it back. Sad day for sure.