New Year's Texas Slam!!!

BlessedAngler

New Year's Texas Slam!!!

Post by BlessedAngler »

Took a little trip by myself on New Year's Day to celebrate my birthday by relaxing a bit before our guest showed up. My wife's relatives were coming later in the evening and knew that they would want to take some fish home with them. My relatives took what I had during their Christmas visit. Started off fishing the old causeway and the flat by end of the causeway with no success. Decided to move to couple of yards down to Mexiquita Flats and found the fish there. Hooked up several reds, most were undersized, but did manage a limit with the largest being 21 1/4". Also, caught two trout, biggest was 25" and lost a nice one by the boat. Didn't fight much but shook it's head all the way in like a topwater only faster. Also, landed a small 14 1/2" flounder to complete my Slam. Fishing in about 2-4 ft of water using KWigglers Willow Tail. I attached a link to the video hope you enjoy and please subscribe.

https://youtu.be/OpYoE3crSoM
Attachments
GOPR1914.JPG
GOPR1926.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: New Year's Texas Slam!!!

Post by Ron Mc »

nice fish and a great way to start the year
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Nice fish and definitely the way to start the new year off!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done! Great video!
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Happy Birthday bud and fish on.
Johnnyz

Post by Johnnyz »

Nice catch! What body of the bay do you fish? I am looking to get my new rigged kayak on the water.
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Appreciate the comments. This area (Mexiquita Flats) is in the lower laguna madre, between Port Isabel/South Padre Island, TX. You could use the boat ramp at Isla Blanca Park or the area next to the boat ramp to launch your kayak. Then head straight out (West) towards Port Isabel. It is about (Rough Estimate) a mile paddle to get there. It can get rough when the wind picks up, especially in the afternoon. There is a fee to go in the park not sure what it is. The park has a yearly pass that cost $100/yr. ($50/yr. if you are a veteran) that can be used to enter any County Park which includes all the Beach Accesses in SPI and Adolph Thomae Park which is in Arroyo City. You will need proof for Veteran discount- Veteran Id or DD Form 214. Hope this helps and if any one else knows of a closer launch site don't hesitate to comment. Once again appreciate all your comments.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hook 'em Horns! I went to law school there & painted 70s Austin bright red... Now there's way too much gridlocked traffic! Houston is at least closer to the bays.
You can fish beautiful areas I enjoy only on vacations. I wish our Galveston saltwater was as clear as yours.
Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Thanks. Never went to school there just a fan. And a not so proud financial contributor to a few attorneys from there in my younger days. LOL (On second thought maybe no LOL.)
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

BlessedAngler wrote:Took a little trip by myself on New Year's Day to celebrate my birthday by relaxing a bit before our guest showed up. My wife's relatives were coming later in the evening and knew that they would want to take some fish home with them. My relatives took what I had during their Christmas visit. Started off fishing the old causeway and the flat by end of the causeway with no success. Decided to move to couple of yards down to Mexiquita Flats and found the fish there. Hooked up several reds, most were undersized, but did manage a limit with the largest being 21 1/4". Also, caught two trout, biggest was 25" and lost a nice one by the boat. Didn't fight much but shook it's head all the way in like a topwater only faster. Also, landed a small 14 1/2" flounder to complete my Slam. Fishing in about 2-4 ft of water using KWigglers Willow Tail. I attached a link to the video hope you enjoy and please subscribe.

https://youtu.be/OpYoE3crSoM

Just curious, what color of willowtail were you using? I bought the mansfield one, for when I head back down there. Great report!
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

That's the one. Mansfield Margarita is my color of choice to throw when using Kwigglers as long as the water is not murky.