Baffin bay kayak need input

Damrondc

Baffin bay kayak need input

Post by Damrondc »

Hey guys I am heading to baffin bay this week to trout fish. Any recommendations on a kayak launch location or suggestions for wading? I have never been there.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Baffin bay kayak need input

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The three most well known spots for wading/kayaking are all on the Laguna Salada: Site 55, Salt Mines or Kratz's Bait Camp. There are rocks (serpulid reefs) and other structure at each locations, just got to spend some time to find everything as they'r enot really marked. Kratz's would be difficult to fish if there's a strong easterly/southeasterly wind.

And although it's not really a big deal, but fishing Baffin Bay proper would require a 5-6 mile paddle to the east from the farthest east public access point. Most of the waters waders or kayakers are referring to when they say Baffin is actually the Laguna Salada and Cayo del Grullo.
Damrondc

Post by Damrondc »

Great input! Thank you.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Neumie’s spots are all that’s left that’s easy access. The Gurllo and drum point are fenced off no but you can still launch where the county road ends it’s just a longer paddle to the backwaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Site 55 does not have any worm rocks near it. Neither does the Williams Landing area. Closest Kayak friends rocks are just east of the county pier off of the point at Riviera Beach. There's a few rocks in Calle. There's plenty fish to be caught in both Calle de Grullo and Laguna Salada. Blows pretty hard down there tho, so make sure you know what the wind is going to do.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I spent many a week-end fishing Baffin Bay. That body of water holds some of the largest specs along the gulf coast.
No spot is bad, but fishing the "rocks" always (mostly) proved productive.

Like others have implied, watch that wind. For some reason, Baffin Bay can become extremely choppy when the wind kicks up. Also be aware that during week-ends, boaters from Kingsville, Corpus. and even San Antonio flock to the area. A growing number of those power boaters don't appear to have a clue about courtesy or safety on the water.
mnmhough21

Post by mnmhough21 »

So I've done lots of research and can still not find Site 55. I Have used Google Earth, poured over Facebook posts, done basic google searches, etc. Can someone let me know where it is and where I can launch my solo skiff to get to it? I have it on a small trailer so backing it down into the water a ways would be nice. Hard for me to load it into the bed of the truck since my back surgery and two knee replacements over the past several years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

mnmhough21 wrote:So I've done lots of research and can still not find Site 55. I Have used Google Earth, poured over Facebook posts, done basic google searches, etc. Can someone let me know where it is and where I can launch my solo skiff to get to it? I have it on a small trailer so backing it down into the water a ways would be nice. Hard for me to load it into the bed of the truck since my back surgery and two knee replacements over the past several years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 82327&z=15

You can get the trailer in the water, but it's pretty shallow around the launch site.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Following and researching serpulid reefs.

https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazi ... rms-part-1
bones72

Post by bones72 »

I was in the area of this past weekend, specifically on the Cayo del Grullo arm of the bay system in Hubert-Kaufman park. In that park and off one of the county roads leading in there, there are decent places to launch. The boat ramp in the park would be fine for a solo skiff. Water was low with the north wind that blew for several days before my trip.

I have fished on the Cayo at least a dozen times now. As others have said Watch the Winds. Seems to be always blowing fairly well in that region and winds can gust out of nowhere and that becomes very pronounced early morning and late evening. It very much reminds me of the Upslope/Downslope effect I experienced in Colorado. With that being said there are tons of fish in that area that are over eager to eat. I managed several keeper trout and a red just fishing off the pier using a popping cork and a little UV glue shrimp fly. One family fishing down from us soaking frozen shrimp caught two sheepshead over 20 inches. I have also caught plenty of eater sized black drum down there. Wading around the pier and seawall in the park I have found smallish patches of rock and mud that seem to hold/attract the fish a bit. Bait around there seems to be shrimp and mud minnows with mullet coming in third and definitely not as plentiful as other areas of the coast.

Wish my fishing buddy would get some waders or a yak so I could explore a little more.
Add description
Add description
multispot redfish.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

^ like ^