Hello, new to Kayaking and just bought one!

paul.hacker

Hello, new to Kayaking and just bought one!

Post by paul.hacker »

Let me explain..

Long time ago I bought a Yamaha 125cc dirtbike, never rode a one, and had to ask my little brother (I was 30 years old!) how to even start it! That is how it started and many years later and 3 bikes have gone. Did the same for parachuting... 1st Abn. Brigade in Marshal many years ago. 1/2 day of training and off I went!

Well now I have, or will have, a Kayak and don't know much at all. Spied one in a pawn show, it is a 'No Limits" Explorer 10 that was in just real nice condition for, after I talked him down, $128. Has the seat but no paddle. It's my little Christmas present.

Now I'd like to add an outrigger cause I really don't like to swim in muddy rivers and lakes (I'm in East Texas and well, we ain't San Marcos.)

So I need suggestions on a good flotation vest, a paddle, and ways to make an outrigger system (or buy one.)

Thanks,

Paul
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hello, new to Kayaking and just bought one!

Post by TKFStubb »

Paul, I’m also in EastTx, and I’ve been doing this for over 20 years. I don’t know if you are closer to Dallas or Houston, but you need to find a good kayak shop and get to know the crew VERY WELL. They are there to help you get the most bang for your buck and the most fun out of your new interest. I can assure you that “stabilizers” are not part of either goal. If you are close to Beaumont, I’d be happy to show you the ropes.