South Bay Red Fishing

BlessedAngler

South Bay Red Fishing

Post by BlessedAngler »

Decided to go fish yesterday 12DEC18 with the wife and oldest son. Headed out to South Bay in the Lower Laguna Madre. Turned into an area with lots of bait (mullet) and stopped when I saw a red. Unfortunately, by the time i came to a complete stop I went over a school of about 10 -15 reds. I usually drift but decided to anchor for a few minutes. My wife spotted a bull red waving with its tail to us. Cast out to it and about 30 seconds later she hooked up a 27" red on cut mullet. A few minutes later it waves at us again so I decide to get down and wade after him. Followed that red for about 10 minutes casting to it and could not get him to bite. At times he was so close I could have hit him with the end of my rod. He must have been about 32-33". Finally made a bad cast across his back and spooked him. Assuming he was after mullet or crabs but no matter what I threw in front of him he just ignored it. Anyways,caught a few undersized reds and a trout. Most were on Kwigglers Ball Tail and one on a Gold Spoon. Also, got an undersized trout. Still had a great time. Got a link to the video. Hope you all enjoy. Be safe out there and God Bless.

https://youtu.be/IEUed2nH99Y

Sorry, not a kayak report but this is an area that you could launch a kayak and fish from. This trip was done on the east side of South Bay. Ron Mc posted a link on my other post of places to launch in the Port Isabel/South Padre Island area. Someone please let me know if I shouldn't post reports not done in a kayak. That way I will only post when I fish out of my kayak. Thanks.
crusher

Re: South Bay Red Fishing

Post by crusher »

Speaking only for myself, I have no problem with a post that isn't from a kayak so long as it is relevant to those of us in kayaks. I like that you pointed out it is accessible and where the launch is...to relate it to kayak fishing. I've never been down that way, but glad you posted up. A still photo is always welcome, too.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've got no problem with pb reports here either, so keep on doing your thing.

Redfish that are just cruising and not eating and more-or-less oblivious to their surroundings is extremely frustrating. Every time I come across it I'm kicking myself for not bringing my fly rod. I bought some Bugg jigs to give me an option which is close as close to fly fishing without me having to bring my fly rod. They're not automatic, but it has helped me catch a few more reds when they refuse most other lures. You should check them out.

I've only kayaked South Bay once and launched from Isla Blanca Park (I think it was a State Park 1o/11 years ago). Wasn't a bad paddle to get there. I think there's access to the back side of South Bay via Boca Chica State Park.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Boats are just giant kayaks anyway... with bigger peddle propellers :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think you're going about it the right way, it's not like your fishing the spoils in the middle of the bay. I don't use a kayak anymore but I will tell the gang here if they can reach the areas I fish with a yak. I may get a SUP in the near future. You might try the TroutSupport Grasswalker on those cruising reds.. I haven't had a red turn from one yet. I think Hook Line and Sinker still has some... go visit them.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the report - you beat the beating wind that's still beating today - great timing

Not only do redfish not turn away from TSL grasswalker, they chase it if you pull it out of their mouth.
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Appreciate the comments and advice. I did not try casting a Buggs jig to it. Did not have one on me yesterday. But I do use them. I tend to use them when I’m fishing skinny water in my yak. That or a 1/8 weedless spoon. Use to fish a place that I could see them crawling and could only manage to hook one red a trip if that. Bought some beastie buggs and catching a limit became a given on a low tide in that particular spot. Anyways, Got to remember to carry them when I’m on my boat. About those TSL grasswalkers, I think it’s time I buy some. Have read several good comments about them. Already got the Trout Support Videos a few years back and also ended up buying a set for my Dad. Those videos have been the best fishing investment I have made. I could go on and on about them. Once again thanks for the comments and the advice. It is always good to be able to get input from someone else as to what I could have done differently. You alls advice will help improve my fishing knowledge. Thank you.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Boats are just giant kayaks anyway... with bigger peddle propellers :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think you're going about it the right way, it's not like your fishing the spoils in the middle of the bay. I don't use a kayak anymore but I will tell the gang here if they can reach the areas I fish with a yak. I may get a SUP in the near future. You might try the TroutSupport Grasswalker on those cruising reds.. I haven't had a red turn from one yet. I think Hook Line and Sinker still has some... go visit them.
They do! went down for thanksgiving.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

BlessedAngler wrote:Decided to go fish yesterday 12DEC18 with the wife and oldest son. Headed out to South Bay in the Lower Laguna Madre. Turned into an area with lots of bait (mullet) and stopped when I saw a red. Unfortunately, by the time i came to a complete stop I went over a school of about 10 -15 reds. I usually drift but decided to anchor for a few minutes. My wife spotted a bull red waving with its tail to us. Cast out to it and about 30 seconds later she hooked up a 27" red on cut mullet. A few minutes later it waves at us again so I decide to get down and wade after him. Followed that red for about 10 minutes casting to it and could not get him to bite. At times he was so close I could have hit him with the end of my rod. He must have been about 32-33". Finally made a bad cast across his back and spooked him. Assuming he was after mullet or crabs but no matter what I threw in front of him he just ignored it. Anyways,caught a few undersized reds and a trout. Most were on Kwigglers Ball Tail and one on a Gold Spoon. Also, got an undersized trout. Still had a great time. Got a link to the video. Hope you all enjoy. Be safe out there and God Bless.

https://youtu.be/IEUed2nH99Y

Sorry, not a kayak report but this is an area that you could launch a kayak and fish from. This trip was done on the east side of South Bay. Ron Mc posted a link on my other post of places to launch in the Port Isabel/South Padre Island area. Someone please let me know if I shouldn't post reports not done in a kayak. That way I will only post when I fish out of my kayak. Thanks.
Thanks for the report! I plan on making that paddle in a few weeks.