Wader questions

optx
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Wader questions

Post by optx »

Looking to buy some Simms Freestone Waders but have seen some bad reviews about them lately. I've been buying "affordable" waders for years now and was on my 3rd pair(2xHodgemens,Magellon). On my recent trip this past weekend the Magellons developed leaks on each leg(60 degree water).

What recommendations do you all have in regards to still continuing with Simms? Do they still have lifetime warranty or is that only with the premium styles?

Also what other comparable brands do you all use besides Simms that compare in quality, design and warranty.

Thanks in advance
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Wader questions

Post by Neumie »

I'm still doing the "cheapy" waders, but if I were going to drop on a nice pair I'd look at Orvis as well as Simms. Patagonia get decent reviews.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ve got a pair of Orvis sonic silver waders that are holding up really well. Those I use for wading trout streams and float tubing in the Rockies. I also have a pair of cheapo Hodgmans that I use to keep dry in my kayak but not to wade. Definitely would go with Orvis for wading and heavy duty work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crusher

Post by crusher »

I'll second the Simms, Patagonia, Orvis line if you have a few hundred bucks to drop for a pair that should last for years. My Patagonia's, got at a great discount a few years ago, are lasting great.

BUT, who knows anything about the local Gulf Coast Waders product? http://www.gulfcoastwaders.com/main.sc I talked to them at a fishing or boat show a couple years ago and they told a good story. Anyone know about their breathable waders for the budget-minded? For budget waders, kids, backups...I like the idea of supporting a local shop.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Working for a kayak outfitter at one of our venues we have to stand in waist deep water this time of the year for up to 8 hours. The Magellan booted waders is what we have used in the past but they get hot quickly if you are not chest deep all the time. They are also very bulky to walk in but they are easy to get on and off. Because you sweat in them they have to be washed from the inside all the time, which is a big pain.

What I have found that works better is the neoprene pants and shirts with NRS knee high boots. You can get them in 2mm thickness which is perfect for the coastal waters of the gulf. Very flexible and can easily get in and out of a kayak, sit on top and sit in. They work so well that I have pants and shorts along with long sleeve, short sleeve and a zippered vest. You can also wear all your outer gear like PFD without dis-comfort. Because there is a thin film of water between the neoprene and the water you don't sweat and then get cold. Also you don't have to worry so much of slipping and falling, filling your waders up making them useless or heavy. They really work well surf fishing! Just a suggestion.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Good breathable stockingfoot waders are lightweight, you can layer as you need beneath them, and match your boots to the task.
Simms and Patagonia are the way to go - don't get talked out of them.

Unfortunately, the best waders I've ever owned, Cloudveil, got out of the wader business, but the good news for me, mine are still in great shape.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I got a pair of Patagonia Rio Gallegos Zip Front last year and love them! The zip front makes them easy to get on and off as well as, well, go without getting undone . The suspenders are designed so you can lengthen them and drop to top down to waste high pants, which is great when the temps come up mid day. Plus they are heavy duty but I have never felt clamy. Pricy but worth it!
optx
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by optx »

I'm familiar with all those different brands but does anyone know which out of the 3 has the best warranty? Simms has a sliding scale with replacement within 1 year and up to $65+shipping for advanced wear and tear repair. Ovris will repair for a flat rate of $40. I'm willing to invest in a solid pair that will last me multiple seasons. Just trying to find the best bang for my $. So far Simms Freestones,Ovris Silvers/Encounters or at the top of my list.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I sent Patagonia a pair of boots for repair, and they sent me back a new pair, gratis.
I think you'll find all of them to be responsive and service-oriented.
Orvis actually loses money in their fishing business, but Perk Perkins makes it a priority to maintain their heritage.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Patagonia is still one of the only quintessential outdoor and fishing companies out there. They have stayed true to their roots and will do everything they can to keep their customers happy. I know they put their money where their mouth is and are willing to fight to preserve our outdoors.
And no I do not work for Patagonia. :)
optx
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by optx »

Thanks for the input.As much as I would love a pair of Patagonias im leaning more towards the entry level Orvis waders(Encounters). It appears that they have the lowest repair cost if issues arise in the future. One interesting thing is that Academy allowed me to exchange my leaky Magellons for another pair(not the same price point one though :? ) They didn't even check the waders. Just told me to grab another pair! :shock:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

optx wrote:Academy allowed me to exchange my leaky Magellons for another pair(not the same price point one though? ) They didn't even check the waders. Just told me to grab another pair! :shock:
Academy does this for their brand of rods also at no charge, even with no receipt. This is why they are my go-to for fishing supplies - good stock for what I need and better prices than FTU and Bass Pro/Cabelas. By way of example, I had to return a 179.00 broken travel rod to FTU yesterday (snapped near the backbone while trying to dislodge a lure in Miami) and they charged me a 30% restocking fee just so that I could take advantage of their 2 year warranty; I have four $90.00 Bone Daddy Rods from Academy, and have had to return two of them for various things over the years and zero dollars spent and no questions asked. 'Nuff said.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

I can't comment on waders today. I'm still using one of Hodgeman's first neoprene pair.
If a pair of neoprene leak, they can be repaired. Dive shops carry a wet suit sealant. Just find somewhere to hang your waders and fill up with water. look for the leak. This took me about 3 attempts to make fully water tight (no leaks). I used about 1/2 a tube of sealant. I did this when they were new, haven't leaked since.
I don't know if this was helpful, hope so...
claytonclements

Post by claytonclements »

I have a pair of breathable frog toggs from academy. I believe they were $200. This is my 4th year owning them and I have not had one problem. The stitching/seams are very tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I ended up getting some kokatat gortex whirlpool bibs with sock foot.

The brand caters to kayakers, the seat and knees have thicker fabric on them so should take sitting in a kayak for hours better.

Should be able too wade with them. I'll give it a shot, just need to get wading boots now... They have a lifetime warranty so I figured why not.

Will let y'all know how it goes.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Chubs wrote:I ended up getting some kokatat gortex whirlpool bibs with sock foot..... I'll give it a shot, just need to get wading boots now... They have a lifetime warranty so I figured why not.
looks like a great choice
You'll probably also want to get merino wool base layer and (knee) socks.
Might want to look at Astral Hiyak for kayak-size boots that should work with the bib socks.
Unfortunately, you just missed the 25% off moosejaw was running.

I've decided my next waders will be the Kokatat Goretex Tempest pants
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://loonoutdoors.com/products/uv-wader-repair

Has anyone ever tried this on leaky waders? Just wondering if it works.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore ... 82196lbogl

Look around some, there are some closeout type deals this time of year.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

karstopo wrote:https://loonoutdoors.com/products/uv-wader-repair

Has anyone ever tried this on leaky waders? Just wondering if it works.
If leaky seams is the problem, trying to seal them with goop is less than a bandaid - time to get new waders.
If your leak is a small tear -e.g., slipped and cut on a rock or oyster - a patch with goop will last as long as the wader seams.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Brucell wrote:I can't comment on waders today. I'm still using one of Hodgeman's first neoprene pair.
If a pair of neoprene leak, they can be repaired. Dive shops carry a wet suit sealant. Just find somewhere to hang your waders and fill up with water. look for the leak. This took me about 3 attempts to make fully water tight (no leaks). I used about 1/2 a tube of sealant. I did this when they were new, haven't leaked since.
I don't know if this was helpful, hope so...
The problem with neoprenes in our climate is our daily temperature swings in the winter.
The morning can start off in the 30s, and push 80 by the end of the day.
Neoprenes keep your sweat close to your body, so even on a cold day, you pull them off and you're soaked through.
Breathables evaporate your sweat even when they're under water.
The good things about neoprenes, durable and inexpensive.

Goretex was a brilliant invention, and got better with each generation. No other fabric breathes quite so well, and you can wash them in a product that will restore their waterproofing quality.
Though we're tough on waders, good outdoor gear is usually a smart investment.
I bought a North Face Goretex shell in 1984 - $400 then - but it was my every-day winter coat until just a few years ago - it's still in my truck as my emergency rain shell.

Other good places to shop closeout are Madison River Fishing Company, and sierratradingpost, though since they were sold, STP isn't quite the great deals or range of merchandise they were before (especially their coupons).
Just before they sold, I picked up an ultra-lightweight Marmot Goretex III shell at STP for $130 shipped (v. $550 retail).
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ron Mc wrote:
Chubs wrote:I ended up getting some kokatat gortex whirlpool bibs with sock foot..... I'll give it a shot, just need to get wading boots now... They have a lifetime warranty so I figured why not.
looks like a great choice
You'll probably also want to get merino wool base layer and (knee) socks.
Might want to look at Astral Hiyak for kayak-size boots that should work with the bib socks.
Unfortunately, you just missed the 25% off moosejaw was running.

I've decided my next waders will be the Kokatat Goretex Tempest pants
Yup, I've already got the merino base layers from last year.
I've got my soft science boots to work for now, but those Astral Hiyaks look nice. they are out of stock though till Feb the website says.

This was a good review on the Kokatat gortex bibs

http://nikkirekman.blogspot.com/2013/12 ... pants.html

A guide doing basically the same stuff we all do - kayak and wade - but he does BTB too in the north pacific.
The bibs double as a full drysuit if you buy the kokatat dry top - there is a sealing system. The reviewer claims he's been in water for up to 10 mins without any major water intrusion.

I've not got the drytop but considering it as a future purchase.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

shoffer wrote:
optx wrote:Academy allowed me to exchange my leaky Magellons for another pair(not the same price point one though? ) They didn't even check the waders. Just told me to grab another pair! :shock:
Academy does this for their brand of rods also at no charge, even with no receipt. This is why they are my go-to for fishing supplies - good stock for what I need and better prices than FTU and Bass Pro/Cabelas. By way of example, I had to return a 179.00 broken travel rod to FTU yesterday (snapped near the backbone while trying to dislodge a lure in Miami) and they charged me a 30% restocking fee just so that I could take advantage of their 2 year warranty; I have four $90.00 Bone Daddy Rods from Academy, and have had to return two of them for various things over the years and zero dollars spent and no questions asked. 'Nuff said.
Academy has had falling outs with their vendors over the years. They were the first source for Falcon rods in the 80s.
For awhile, they quit carrying both Penn reels and Falcon rods over warranty issues.
Certainly Penns are back, and I just checked - they also carry Falcon rods again.
Shoffer, the Cabelas Salt Striker travel rod that closed out last winter for $50, is the same blank that Loomis still sells for $279 - I was in the right place for that one.
Chubs wrote:...
I've not got the drytop but considering it as a future purchase.
Most of our paddling and wading doesn't need it. Obviously whitewater needs it, and anywhere you could fall off your boat in cold weather - launching the surf for BYB.