Fishing a couple days after a cold front 11/15 & 11/16

riskybiscuit

Fishing a couple days after a cold front 11/15 & 11/16

Post by riskybiscuit »

Had a couple days of really nice weather with low winds a couple day after a northern blew some cold temperatures down. Had lower 60s temps on Thursday and upper 60s on Friday. Was planning on heading out right after my 9:30 class but because the weather was so nice on the drive to school I made the executive decision to just head straight to the water instead. Good call. Got to the water around 10 and launched from SPID. Fished for a little while with nothing then shortly after I found 2 reds and a couple small trout right around the intersection of 2 channels. One was right around 27 in and looked like he had been eating good. The other looked like and the other was probably around 23. Both caught on a down south lure and were released.
ImageImageImage
Paddles into some shallow flats between islands in hopes of some sightfishing but most of the water was gone out of that area so I didn’t find any. Paddles out of there and came across a fellow kayaker who was hooked up. He told me to come anchor up next to him. He was on the fish and even gave me his extra live shrimp to use. I caught a couple nice black drum and put them on the stringer. Right when he caught his limits of fish and was about to take off I hook into what I thought was a drum. I was engaged in conversation and was trying to help him out with something so I wasn’t paying much attention to the fight that was happening. When it got closer I saw the tail surface and realized it was a trout. With the help of my new buddy’s net I landed what turned out to be my PB trout measuring at just over 25 inches. He was nice enough to take a great picture of me with the fish
I was glad to catch a new PB but I can’t say that I didn’t feel bad for catching that fish in his spot much less on his shrimp. He was a very good sport about it though and seemed happy for me. I released the trout and stayed till it got too dark and ended up with a limit of drum for dinner. They must’ve been really feeding cause I caught my last 3 on a down south.
I loaded up then went to Red Dot for some ice. They were out of small bags but the nice gentleman working said just to bring my cooler and he’d give me some ice. I felt like passing on the good karma so I offered him some fish and gave him 3. After he said he would take them to a church fish fry so I felt really glad about that. He even cleaned my remaining fish for me.
Friday I went out and caught undersized trout till my arms got tired. I also caught my first sheepshead earlier that day on a gulp. Next goal is to sightcast one.
It was a great 2 days of fishing with some awesome weather that can be hard to come across in South Texas. This will be my first winter kayak fishing so I’m excited to learn my way through it and hopefully catch some good fish along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fishing a couple days after a cold front 11/15 & 11/16

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the photos and report - great fish - love the first red you have by the tail - that's a big tail and shoulders.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Mighty fine reporting. Nice fish and congrats on the big trout!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great photos of your epic fishing trip. Kudos!

Wag

Post by Wag »

Great report and great implementation of new advice from group members. Nice job all around for this board.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Heck yea! Those redfish and that gator trout look obese. You did them a favor giving them a bit of a work out.

Nice black drum. I tend not to keep the few slot black drum that I happen to get. The ones I have kept tend to have the spaghetti worm thing going on. I know the little parasites are harmless, but I don’t believe the females in my household will have the same reaction. The one or two shark worms I find in the trout I’m able to surgically remove before anyone is the wiser. Part of the whole fishing thing for me is I get to bring home a dinner the wife and daughters get excited about. I don’t want any thing like a worm upsetting that apple cart.

Sheepshead, say 10 Hail Marys and 5 Our Fathers, jk, good luck with those!

Thanks for the report.
riskybiscuit

Post by riskybiscuit »

karstopo wrote:Heck yea! Those redfish and that gator trout look obese. You did them a favor giving them a bit of a work out.

Nice black drum. I tend not to keep the few slot black drum that I happen to get. The ones I have kept tend to have the spaghetti worm thing going on. I know the little parasites are harmless, but I don’t believe the females in my household will have the same reaction. The one or two shark worms I find in the trout I’m able to surgically remove before anyone is the wiser. Part of the whole fishing thing for me is I get to bring home a dinner the wife and daughters get excited about. I don’t want any thing like a worm upsetting that apple cart.

Sheepshead, say 10 Hail Marys and 5 Our Fathers, jk, good luck with those!

Thanks for the report.
They were definitely eating good. Black drum have become one of my favorite fish to eat. They taste great out on the pit. I usually only keep the smaller ones and will release any bigger ones that I catch. I think this has helped in keeping the worms away. Then again if I do get worms it’s only dinner for me so it doesn’t matter all that much.
I’ll bring some candles to light on the kayak next time I’m casting to sheepshead.