Post by Kayak buddy »

Great fly for salt and riversImage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Spec trout fly

Post by Ron Mc »

that will work. Also looks like it would cast really well.

They've always eaten up my hi-ties fished on slime line or Teeny line (along with reds and black drum in passes).
You can use any color combination - whatever color bucktails you have around, and of course need a natural to get the white on bottom. Doll eyes with epoxy head is optional.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Looks nice. I never much got into fishing or tying the bendback style of fly. I guess it’s hard to fish everything. I get in grooves or ruts however you want to look at it and fish a limited number of patterns. No doubt lots of patterns are good and work. I think sometimes it comes down to what one might enjoy tying and/or fishing the most.

My main open water no added weight Speckled trout pattern has been the Steve Farrar Blend Baitfish. I like that it slowly sinks and can be made to be neutrally buoyant with a little foam added in. The idea was to make a fly that works a bit like a suspending plug that work so well getting bigger winter trout or trout in the surf. I fished the Steve Farrar Blend for a time and picked up some good trout to 6 pounds, but then moved on to something else. Image

Recently, I tied up some more and hope to do some winter trout fishing with them this upcoming season. Image

Post up more of your bend-backs. The more I see a pattern, often the more I want to do them. The high ties that Ron does look great. I never liked the ones I did and abandoned tying and even trying to fish them. Different strokes for different folks.
Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: Spec trout fly

Post by Kayak buddy »

Ron Mc wrote:that will work. Also looks like it would cast really well.
Ron it's very weedless, I add a ball of uv resin behind the hook eye so it doesn't pick up weeds and tie the loose knot so that the tag end faces the hook and weedless.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

understand, I've fished some tiny bendbacks in the lights before and they take trout.
My kicking shrimp is my go-to fly on the flats, and bead chain keels it hook up.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

When the weeds floating everything seems to snag it this fly doesn't, bead chains do.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That bend back does look weedless. That’s the great thing about spinning your own patterns since they can be tailor made for local conditions. What’s the hair you are using as the wing/weed guard?
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

The hair is squirrel tail and there is a uv resin bump next to the hook eye, it is a ball essentially.