Micro lures in the marsh?

Chubs

Re: Micro lures in the marsh?

Post by Chubs »

I might have a "little" problem.
20180928_110759.jpg
So what's the best way to throw these things? I'm thinking my shimano 2500 series spinning reel with 8 lb braid, 17 lb mono leader.
Hooked to a lighter fast 7' rod.

17 lb leader because saltwater has oysters to contend with. Sure it will effect action a little but how bad could it be? Won't know till I try.

-edit-
Ron Mc wrote:Australians know as much about inshore kayak fishing as anybody in the world.
They also make tough UL lines for tiny salt lures.
The Kamikaze copolymer I use on my salt XUL, I found a vendor on ebay who ships cheaply to the US.
If you can identify your Australian lures, worth an ebay search - or contact the Oz guy on ebay who sells my Kamikaze Firepower line, and ask if he can get them for you.
Ah Ron I went back and saw your line recommendation. Will need to look into this.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Just make sure your rod tip is delicate enough to match your line test.
I have these crazy Japanese XUL salt rods, 7'9".
They have an S-glass core, with exposed S-glass tip, a linear graphite layer over 70% of the rod, and weave graphite over the butt.
They will cast 5g and protect 3-lb test.
They basically behave like super-progressive, flared-butt dry fly tapers from cane and early glass.
Of course being a long-haired fly fisher from way back, I live to catch big fish on rods like this.
To protect the line, you raise the rod tip. To gain more control over the fish, you lower the rod tip and "give him the butt"

You're probably not going to find a rod quite like this (Japanese call them tetra rods), but it's certainly possible to find good light-line rods - they tend to be long rods, and steelheaders have been doing this for ages.

People who build their own XUL rods usually start with a 3- or 4-wt fly rod blank.

here's my buddy Alex horsing 5-lb bass on his.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Just watch Mark's video's and he tells you his setup with that small lure. Enjoy!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the tips on gear guys.

In other news - KB "thanks" for the Barlow's suggestion - you just put me in the poor house :P
I couldn't resist:
Add description
Add description
What wild ideas I have in my head now haha. This should be fun as long as my wife doesn't see what I bought :X
Much cheaper had I just bought a few of those Hardz and gotten killed on shipping, but where's the fun in that!!!

This rain needs to go away - no telling what I'll buy if it rains again next week....
If I keep this up I'll start tying my own flies and I don't even fly fish...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know how you feel!

I hate Barlow's.... :wink:

Wait until you start fishing larger lures offshore and want to touch them up or make your own with "jig skinz". They make the lures look great in less than 3 minutes with no mess. Just hot water and a pair of scissors! Enjoy.... :P
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Well I drew up my schematics during painting time with my 1 and 4 year old, thinking this is going to rock!
Then my 1 year old threw it in the trash while I wasn't looking :/
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Chubs if you want to enjoy some great lure making check this guys channel out...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa-xsr ... fPFE1TK7OQ

and this is cool for you to ponder as well about lure hot stamping...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +foil+lure

I have LOTS of lure maker channels I have watched and learned. You would be surprised the amount of lure making videos from all over the world. Been watching some Asian area folks making their own jig hooks and other cool stuff. If you watch a few videos on a subject in YouTube it will "suggest" videos like it for you to watch. Each time you opne YouTube it refreshes and gives you more videos you may not have seen. Check it out.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

this is actually how Cabelas got their start - lure making and rod-building parts was all they did in their early catalogs - along with importing Quick spinning reels.
The only thing cooler to a kid was AutoWorld catalog - build your own slot cars.
About 15 years ago, Cabelas still offered a few lure-making supplies, and I picked up enough parts to make 50 barbless single-hook spinners for trout fishing loaners (all I'll ever need).
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Tackle Warehouse just got these in Handmade...https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Black_L ... LCBS2.html

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Got my order in. About the right size.
20181003_044519.jpg
Here is my shrimp prototype. Not painted or anything yet. Going to test it as is next time I'm out there.
I'll probably add some lines on it to look like a shrimp fleeing with its tail tucked.
Try to make it translucent pink or Brown, and clear coat it so it's shiny.
20181003_051508.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Looks cool!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

pretty shrimpy
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Here you go Chubs. Got my blanks in and colored them with sharpies and applied a thin nail polish coat. Turned out well for a quick coloring in less than 30 minutes. I need smaller split rings and will change them out if they tangle hooks.
The Hardz lure is at the top for reference.

jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

I've never been able to specifically nail down on sheepshead. Any basic lures you guys recommend?(typically just use spoons and soft plastics, mostly vudu egret baits stuff)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

For sheepshead any crab or shrimp imitation would work but sheepies are smart fish and they need scent as well so get some Pro-Cure to use on the lures. That's if you absolutely only have lures alone.
Live bait is best. Most sheep are caught on fiddler crabs (you can dig them up in the muddy areas near the marshes or along 45 in Galveston) or live shrimp. Shrimp is a basic staple for ALL fish so you may get other bites from fish you are not seeking. Fiddlers on a hook next to a bridge pylon or underwater structure are your best bet. A simple drop shot rig with the fiddler will get you sheep in the boat!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I catch a few on flies. My buddy uses pro cure on his soft plastics when we fish together. I haven’t yet tried procure or any scent on a fly, but there’s no reason it couldn’t be done. There are tungsten weights that make tiny lures and fly patterns heavy enough to cast with at least spinning gear.

One issue sheepshead have are small mouths. Most lures are on the big side considering sheepshead mouths. I wonder if anyone has tried things like Crappie jigs on sheepshead. Crappie and panfish jigs work on lots of different fish.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

kickingback wrote:Here you go Chubs. Got my blanks in and colored them with sharpies and applied a thin nail polish coat. Turned out well for a quick coloring in less than 30 minutes. I need smaller split rings and will change them out if they tangle hooks.
The Hardz lure is at the top for reference.
Those look good! Does the clear nail polish hold up in the water?
I didn't get to test out that one I made yet, waiting till I actually go on a real kayak trip again.
karstopo wrote: One issue sheepshead have are small mouths. Most lures are on the big side considering sheepshead mouths. I wonder if anyone has tried things like Crappie jigs on sheepshead. Crappie and panfish jigs work on lots of different fish.
As a matter of fact, I put some crappie jigs in my tackle box to try out next time too :) Also got some pro cure. I figure pro cure on the plastic bucktail would hold a scent.