Freeport Area Tide Predictions

therocket37

Freeport Area Tide Predictions

Post by therocket37 »

I've figured out the +/- for the most part in the drum-Bastrop area but I have a questions about the tides for some of the areas that are west of Freeport. I'm wondering why there isn't a tide station at the brazos river. is that not a significant area of inflow that produces tide flow to the surrounding areas? or does the tide flow to that whole area around cedar lakes, cowtrap, come from the Freeport jetties? if that's true, what is a rough +/- estimate on that area? It's gotta be 6-7 hour difference? I'm sure i'll get some great info from one of the experienced guys down there and I really appreciate it in advance!
crusher

Re: Freeport Area Tide Predictions

Post by crusher »

The only time I paid attention enough to a tide change where you are referencing and compared it to the charts, it seemed to me to be about 2 hours later than the Freeport station.
I won't be surprised if someone follows up on this post though, and states more confidently it is some other amount of time since I'm not claiming any real truth to my observation. I'm working from one observation point.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Drum/Lower Drum tide times compared to Freeport station. :?:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

There’s a lot of moving parts down that way. A lot of water potentially flows in from the gulf at the Brazos River mouth. But then variable amounts of fresh water runoff from upstream can negate some or most of the incoming inflow at that pass. Then there are locks at the Brazos River/ICW that influence the flows.

The mouth of the San Bernard was opened up by Hurricane Harvey and for a time had a deep channel. As of this summer, it was about closed up again. But the tides lately at times have been running close to 2’ feet above predicted. Those elevated tides might have reworked the opening there. There’s also a little cut to the gulf that formed at the last Cedar lake closest to Sargent. Water moves in and out there, but those cuts are subject to closing up at any time. I’m not sure how much the cut at Sargent influences the areas you mentioned.

I’ve not been able to nail down any sort of tide schedule down that way other than there’s a delay from the tide schedule listed for Freeport Harbor. Water moves in and out there, but there might be pretty good periods of low movement.
therocket37

Post by therocket37 »

Thanks for the info, I haven't fished that area to the west enough to really figure it out from time on the water. It sounds like it might be pretty variable, similar to other areas that might have different flows depending on the conditions.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

It also gets water from the cut at Sargent so you're going to have to factor that in as well.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It would be nice to nail down the tides over there. Sometimes it’s fun just to go and see what turns up.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

karstopo wrote:There’s a lot of moving parts down that way. A lot of water potentially flows in from the gulf at the Brazos River mouth. But then variable amounts of fresh water runoff from upstream can negate some or most of the incoming inflow at that pass. Then there are locks at the Brazos River/ICW that influence the flows.

The mouth of the San Bernard was opened up by Hurricane Harvey and for a time had a deep channel. As of this summer, it was about closed up again. But the tides lately at times have been running close to 2’ feet above predicted. Those elevated tides might have reworked the opening there. There’s also a little cut to the gulf that formed at the last Cedar lake closest to Sargent. Water moves in and out there, but those cuts are subject to closing up at any time. I’m not sure how much the cut at Sargent influences the areas you mentioned.

I’ve not been able to nail down any sort of tide schedule down that way other than there’s a delay from the tide schedule listed for Freeport Harbor. Water moves in and out there, but there might be pretty good periods of low movement.
Great post! It's felt like tides are higher than predicted.