Matagorda 09/25-09/28

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Matagorda 09/25-09/28

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

We decided on a good camp site about noon on the 25th at brown cedar cut LolImage
since it offered easy access for surf or bay fishing. Turned out with all the storms threatening almost constantly and the surf fishing being so good I never took my kayak off the truck. My son did tho to run baits out for surf fishing so this kinda qualifies for a kayak fishing report. Image

Some pretty evil storms rolled in the first night
So we slept in the truck after seeing lightning bolts actually hitting a few miles out in the water. Pretty restless night.

Next few days were pretty nice though and we caught a lot of fish. Image
A few more rain storms but nothing as bad as the first night and Gods promise Imagekept us going strong!

We fished almost exclusively the first 2 days with mullet, both live and cut, and with cut whiting. Strangely we caught most redfish on whiting and sharks on mullet. Usually the opposite is the case. The last day the surf was pretty calm and I tried, for the first time, a popping cork with gulp shrimp and caught a slot red so my boys joined in and we ended up with several of our slot fish caught that way. I think I enjoyed that the most and had a hard time quitting to get camp packed up to head home.

I think we ended up catching around 18 bull reds (38"-46") all released. 9 slot reds we kept. One 18" trout. 30 or more small sharks ( 3ft and under). Tons of gaftops n whiting. We were broke off a few times as well. I'm assuming it was larger sharks. I've never caught as many sharks as we did this time. They get as annoying as gaftop and hardheads after awhile.

I love Matagorda and I know mosquitos are always an issue, but man I have never encountered mosquitos down there like we did on this trip! They were relentless, in large numbers, and HUGE! Thermacell, Off and citronella tikis didn't even phase them.

All in all a great trip though. I had a blast with my brother and 2 of my sons. They both outfished me this time. Not sure that's ever happened before but I welcome it. I'm glad they're growing into fine men and fishermen!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Last edited by imaoldmanyoungsalt on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Matagorda 09/25-09/28

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:We decided on a good camp site about noon on the 25th at brown cedar cut LolImage
since it offered easy access for surf or bay fishing. Turned out with all the storms threatening almost constantly and the surf fishing being so good I never took my kayak off the truck. My son did tho to run baits out for surf fishing so this kinda qualifies for a kayak fishing report. Image

Some pretty evil storms rolled in the first night
So we slept in the truck after seeing lightning bolts actually hitting a few miles out in the water. Pretty restless night.

Next few days were pretty nice though and we caught a lot of fish. Image
A few more rain storms but nothing as bad as the first night and Gods promise Imagekept us going strong!

We fished almost exclusively the first 2 days with mullet, both live and cut, and with cut whiting. Strangely we caught most redfish on whiting and sharks on mullet. Usually the opposite is the case. The last day the surf was pretty calm and I tried, for the first time, a popping cork with gulp shrimp and caught a slot red so my boys joined in and we ended up with several of our slot fish caught that way. I think I enjoyed that the most and had a hard time quitting to get camp packed up to head home.

I think we ended up catching around 18 bull reds (38"-46") all released. 9 slot reds we kept. One 18" trout. 30 or more small sharks ( 3ft and under). Tons of gaftops n whiting. We were broke off a few times as well. I'm assuming it was larger sharks. I've never caught as many sharks as we did this time. They get as annoying as gaftop and hardheads after awhile.

I love Matagorda and I know mosquitos are always an issue, but man I have never encountered mosquitos down there like we did on this trip! They were relentless, in large numbers, and HUGE! Thermacell, Off and citronella tikis didn't even phase them.

All in all a great trip though. I had a blast with my brother and 2 of my sons. They both outfished me this time. Not sure that's ever happened before but I welcome it. I'm glad they're growing into fine men and fishermen!

A few more picsImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by imaoldmanyoungsalt on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Matagorda 10/25-10/28

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

That is just awesome.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Matagorda 09/25-09/28

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for this fine report. The mosquitos have been really bad in Galveston due to all the rain last month, so I know what you mean.

Strangely enough, when Don and I launched at Double Bayou in Trinity Bay, we had no problems with mosquitos. Granted, it was daytime, but winds were light and we still had no issues. The only time I saw any was when I went into the bathroom at Joe Beeson park before we launched.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Matagorda 10/25-10/28

junkyard chihuahua wrote:That is just awesome.
Thanks Junk,
It was one of the better trips I've had down there as far as fishing goes. There was hardly a moment that someone wasn't fighting a fish.

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I remember every trip with my father. He had three sons and was his happiest time. Even if we did not catch much we always had fun.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Excellent!! Congrats on a great trip.
Thanks for the report and pics
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Very nice report. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a better trip than last year and glad y'all got into the fish this year.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

who was that masked man?
yee haw, great trip and wonderful photos - missed this before, was too busy packing for our Estes trip
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Ron, as far as "that man in the mask", I'm not sure, but I did hear him exclaim, "hi yo redfish, away!" as he released fish and his sidekick did have a reddish color to his skin. (He said it was sunburn, but I'm not buying it)

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we need a like button :lol:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »