Billystix rods

t-ferg

Billystix rods

Post by t-ferg »

Does anyone have any feed back on billystix rods? From what I've seen on other forums and websites they seem pretty nice. I have been talking with him on ordering a custom 6'10'' medium lite custom casting rod.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Billystix rods

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Billy builds awesome rods! Nothing but 1st class with excellent parts and awesome wraps. Actually I probably need to order me a new one since my wife seems to have claimed mine. ..........cC
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Billy does a great job. Gave one to my brother 6 years ago and it still is doing great.
You should see the package it arrives in, shipped to survive a hurricane.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Don't tell him Tombo sent you, price may go up. :lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

someone needs to post photos
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

Ron Mc wrote:someone needs to post photos
From 2008...

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks, that's pretty work
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I have two which I won in two different tournaments. Both are kayak series, med or med-heavy, spiral eyes, casting. Obviously the craftsmanship is top notch and the wrapping is awesome. I used both for a few trips but I didn't like the feel of the rods. The spiral wrap caused every lure to cast to the left of where I was aiming so I had to compensate for this and during fights with larger fish the rod would torque to the left in my hand. I keep them with a couple of my other fishing trophy's.

Not a great photo.

t-ferg

Post by t-ferg »

Tombo wrote:Don't tell him Tombo sent you, price may go up. :lol:
Lol. I bargained down to free shipping.
t-ferg

Post by t-ferg »

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I ordered the rod and I will post some pics when I receive it in a few weeks.
t-ferg

Post by t-ferg »

Neumie wrote:I have two which I won in two different tournaments. Both are kayak series, med or med-heavy, spiral eyes, casting. Obviously the craftsmanship is top notch and the wrapping is awesome. I used both for a few trips but I didn't like the feel of the rods. The spiral wrap caused every lure to cast to the left of where I was aiming so I had to compensate for this and during fights with larger fish the rod would torque to the left in my hand. I keep them with a couple of my other fishing trophy's.

Not a great photo.

Yes, he mentioned the spiral wrap, but I told him to go with the standard in line guides. I know a lot of people swear by the spiral wrap though.
JesseCJC

Post by JesseCJC »

I’ve broken 3 different billystix rods which is unfortunate because I really like the viper blanks that they were built upon. One was completely my fault but two snapped way too easily when transporting IMO.

I had a few issues with guides and the markings for fish measurements being off and on two different occasions he made the but longer than I asked. Wasn’t a huge deal but we did communicate I care about this since he uses 9-10in length instead of 7in that I prefer for kayaking. overall seems like a nice guy and he does wrap well just some small issues.
Backlasher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Backlasher »

We have 3 rods. My wife has 2 and I have 1. They're all beautiful and work well, my wife's casting rod is the best I've ever used and so I've "borrowed" it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie wrote:...
Not a great photo.

um, I disagree, that photo has everything on topic.

As far as spiral wraps, I've never fished them, but the logic is easy to understand.
They're not needed in casting (not a detriment to casting), but reduce contact of line on the rod when trolling and fighting fish.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:um, I disagree, that photo has everything on topic.

As far as spiral wraps, I've never fished them, but the logic is easy to understand.
They're not needed in casting (not a detriment to casting), but reduce contact of line on the rod when trolling and fighting fish.
I was referring more to the poor image quality of the photo because I had to rip it off one of my 10 year old facebook posts; it doesn't show the intricacies of the wrap well.

I agree with the logic that keeping the line off the blank is better and there's the potential for a more sensitive rod, but the two quirks I experienced kind of put me off to the rods. Also since my rods were pre-built (mine are from 2006 & 2007 and I think he used St. Croix Premier blanks) and I didn't have any input on action/line weight/length/power I ended up with two rods I would not have spec'd if given the option to build one from scratch.

Just to re-iterate that I'm not knocking the rod because the craftsmanship is outstanding. It's just after fishing with them a few times I felt the rods didn't suit my needs and now they're pretty "trophies" to look at from time to time.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I know, it doesn't show rod details like you'd prefer, but the rod is pretty even from a distance.
Maybe you'll have to set up some rod macros.

I'll also agree my best rods have functional appointments with minimal decoration.
Throwing up these modern glass examples because I have the photos.