Report 9/19 BHP

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Report 9/19 BHP

Post by Prof. Salt »

I paddled out to the rigs off bob hall today. Surf is clean, finger mullet are thick in the first and second guts, and fish are at the rigs ...but they are deep. Maybe it was all the rain, but every fish was 40-60 feet down. There is a decent current pushing north and it will keep you paddling, so be prepared for a workout. By sinking the ribbons and jigs deep I managed a couple of kings, three blacktips, two big scorpion fish, some huge ladyfish, big Spanish, a mangrove snapper a little jack crevalle and a keeper cobia. Overall is was a great day, and I only saw two boats all day! I talked to one guy tied to a rig to see what he was catching ...less than I was :D
Here's one of the scorpion fish. Be careful of the spines on these things, they can send you to the doctor or ER.

Oh, and despite what the news is reporting, I could not find any indication of red tide, and I was looking closely.
Last edited by Prof. Salt on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killerbee

Re: Report 9/19 BHP

Post by Killerbee »

Were you using heavier weight and trolling super slow to keep it in that area of th water column?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

In moving current it's tough to get baits deep enough, but when you have baits out and can set up a drift when you match the water movement as you drift by the structure, fish will respond. You might even try making a couple of 3 or 4 ounce rigs to keep it in the strike zone better.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

10-4 Prof..... I will use this tactic next time they are lockedjawed! I am about to put a fishfinder on my yak. At least I will be able to see where they are holding.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Excellent Glenn! If anyone can find the fish offshore it's you! Everyone else was getting skunked and you figured them out! Well done!
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

Currents were about 0.8 miles/hour near the first MP rig. Something that could have worked is a diver lure with a big lip. When kayak is hooked to the rig this lure could have gone pretty deep just because of current.
Vlad_989

Post by Vlad_989 »

prolog22 wrote:Currents were about 0.8 miles/hour near the first MP rig. Something that could have worked is a diver lure with a big lip. When kayak is hooked to the rig this lure could have gone pretty deep just because of current.
That's a good idea. I'm going to try that next time.
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

Good luck! I wish I tried this method before I left the rig, I focused on vertical jigging and it did not produce nothing due to low visibility probably..
On the other note, use a braid line, mono will drag the lure upwards.