Any recommendations for my first kayak?

Knooter

Any recommendations for my first kayak?

Post by Knooter »

Hi, I'm Caleb and I'm new to the site. My dad is a member here and told me to get on here for some help. I'm starting at A&M Kingsville in the fall and I'm looking for a good kayak to fish Baffin Bay while I'm down there. I don't have a ton of money saved up but I've got a good chunk that should put me in the upper "pretty decent kayak" range. I'm looking for help with options and such as I'm brand new to kayaking and my dad hasn't done any kayak fishing for many years. Also if anyone around the area needs a fishing buddy I'd love to tag along once I finally make my purchase. I have a month or so to research before school starts and then pull the trigger and I'll be watching the classifieds here as well.
JW FunGuy

Re: Any recommendations for my first kayak?

Post by JW FunGuy »

Hi Caleb!
Well I just went through the same thing. I’m not new to kayaking but I “was” new to kayak fishing. My dilemmas were price, weight and performance. On the performance side I knew I wanted a 12 ft boat at least so it would track well, I knew I planned on paddling long distance to get away from the crowd. I also realized that a 12 ft boat would be easier to transport and store than a longer boat. Weight was critical as well for transporting, storing and got into the performance side also. There was also the side of durability. I was looking at lighter boats but was told that oyster shells would rip it to shreds(something I was not used to).
So I decided on a Wilderness System Tarpon 120 and so far I am loving it! There are lots of folks here with way more experience so it will be interesting to see what they have to say
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I consider Wilderness the Chevrolet and Ocean the Ford of the kayak community. To really figure out what you need a good salesman or women will have questions for you such as type of fishing, storage, gear, your age ect.
Mostly I just recommend going to a demo day and use your gut to figure what you want.
Its a very individual choice.
You have to start somewhere so jump in.
TG05

Post by TG05 »

One of the biggest considerations is your weight plus weight of your gear, don't exceed 70% of the stated weight capacity of the kayak. How will you transport it and store it? Budget for a good, light paddle and a comfortable PFD.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

For the money I think the Vibe Seaghost is a great choice. There's nothing wrong with buying used as long as you check out the hull good. I'd steer clear of Bass Pro/Cabela's yaks. I have experience with a couple of then and it's not good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
crusher

Post by crusher »

Your first kayak should be one that you've paddled and liked.
Not one that we say you should like.
Demo days as said above, or rent different kayaks 2 or 3 times. They each do feel different than each other.
ShooterScott

Post by ShooterScott »

The above response is exactly what I was going to put. Definitely test some out, rent or demo.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I vote think distance - Pescador at the low end, Tarpon in the middle, and Hobie Mirage-drive Revolution at the top.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

crusher wrote:Your first kayak should be one that you've paddled and liked.
Demo days as said above, or rent different kayaks 2 or 3 times. They each do feel different than each other.
This!
quigly7777

Post by quigly7777 »

Austin Canoe and Kayak will have demo days in Austin, New Braunfels and Houston in September. Best way, just get out and try a bunch. That was what I did to decide. Check the ACK website for dates. It's all free!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

demo days is great, but it ain't Baffin Bay.
Whistles and bells sell really well there, but it ain't the same as being 3 miles from home on a big bay.
At the San Marcos demo, may have a good chance of getting some wind, though. Texas Ski Ranch private lake sits up pretty high.
I had a blast there last year sailing the 19' Adventure island trimaran (with a crew of 3), and my buddy got an incredible deal on a blem 16' Hobie Revo.
T160
In reality, the ultimate kayak for Baffin Bay is probably the Kazkazi Marlin. 16', 24" beam, fully rigged, hand-laid, 55 lbs.
It's not trying to be a bass boat.
Think expedition kayak, because every trip into Baffin Bay is an expedition.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Tombo wrote:
crusher wrote:Your first kayak should be one that you've paddled and liked.
This!
any other recommendations besides this and you will most likely be disappointed. seat time > everyone's opinion.
crude4u

Post by crude4u »

Just bought my first fishing kayak. Lots of things to consider, not the least of which is "can you carry it". I think I bought one of the heaviest boats around at 97 pounds, empty.
The dolly it came with is not sufficient, at least for me and my age (70).
I agree that it should be a boat you have paddled and like it. Reminds me of my first conceal carry piece. If it's too heavy to wear then you won't.
Right now I am outfitting it.
Also, do you intend to be able to stand up in the boat or will you sit all the time. Will you paddle it, motor it, peddle it? Options.
After looking at a lot of boats, but not getting them in the water, I see a lot of Wilderness systems ATAK 14. My buddy has one and it's probably the most stable boat and you don't see many of them for sale, which I think is a good sign no one wants to part with their.
If you are in the Austin area, I think there is a place around San Marcos where you can take a boat out and test it for yourself but I"m not sure which shop it is.
Good luck.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

There's no place on Baffin Bay you can stand on a kayak, unless your plan is to dive in.
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11308.shtml

I challenge anyone to launch in Arroyo Colorado at the end of Marshall Hutts road and paddle the 2 miles to Green Island.
And that's still not Baffin Bay.
My buddies swear today it was 5 miles to the ICW, but it was 1.4
Also, when we made it to the intercoastal, the elements at the 4-5' grass were intimidating, and that's still not Baffin Bay.
Knooter

Post by Knooter »

Thanks for the input, y'all. I am going to check out the ACK Demo Days in New Braunfels this weekend to see what I get along with and will update with my favorite yaks to paddle and pedal.
quigly7777

Post by quigly7777 »

Good move! Let us know what you like!