Hobie Mirage Sport

Chubs

Hobie Mirage Sport

Post by Chubs »

I'm not sure the best place to post this. The odd thing about this site about kayak fishing I've always thought - is there is no kayak specific discussion forum (unless I'm blind). Sure there is rigging and new to kayaking - but I digress.

I wanted to get peoples opinions about the subject kayak. If you own one - how do you like it for fishing - mainly saltwater but also freshwater. Can you get shallow and fish marsh?

You might find it odd I'd be looking at a shorter kayak - but I out the hard way that my 12' Heritage Redfish does not fit in my new camper :( I'm eyeballing this one because I believe it's short enough to fit into my camper.

Anyway, would appreciate ideas :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hobie Mirage Sport

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll chime in.
I wish Hobie would give gunwhale height, but width is just right, outfitted right with rudder, and Mirage drive is fast.
It looks like a shorter OL Outback.
You can also adjust the seat low for big wind.
Accessible hatches, enough well space for a day on the water.

ACK has demo days in San Marcos next month, and that's a great place to try boats and get a discount - good size lake and sits high in the wind.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

That's a good idea to check it out 1st.

I see they have one here in Houston too (Conroe) next month same time.

https://www.austinkayak.com/demo
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Normally, I wouldn't recommend any kayak shorter than 12' because of its poor tracking.
But the Hobie Sport is different since the mirage drive is at the center line of the kayak and it helps moving perfectly straight.
My friend has one as his backup yak and its perform nicely.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's correct, the combination of the Mirage drive and rudder form a pretty reliable keel.