Light House Lakes & Brown/Root 08/03-08/04

FingerMullet

Light House Lakes & Brown/Root 08/03-08/04

Post by FingerMullet »

Headed out to AP to baptize & slime my new Bonafide SS127. Launch at 7am Friday at LHL with all most 0 wind. The water was like glass. Image
I paddled in far back in a large lake & located a school of tailing reds in about a foot of water with 6” of grass. I eased my way to them & threw a Down South Chic/chain paddle tail but no takers. I then tied a Buggs curly tail-blue crab imitation & threw at the nose of a red & bam-fish on. Landed him measuring at 23”. During the fight, the fish spooked the rest of his buddies. After that for the life of me I couldn’t find any fish much less get a hit.
Started paddling back to the launch & came up to the boat channel. The water was super clear & could see down to about 5 feet. I paddle over a school of slot reds which I spooked. I staged a rod with a Gulp swimming mullet & came across another school of slot reds & tossed it right in front of them & they surrounded the lure. I twitched it once & one them picked it up. It was pretty neat to see them jump on the bait. It was a nice 22”. Image
The next day I launched across the hwy at Brown & Root. I started with a Grasswalker bone diamond & picked up 2 rats & 2 dink trouts. Came up to a small cut & saw an explosion on the water. I threw my Grasswalker & as it hit the water the red hit it.
Another nice fat 22”.
After that the bite had ended & the wind really picked up so I called it a day. It was good to slime the new yak!
Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Castblastkick

Re: Light House Lakes & Brown/Root 08/03-08/04

Post by Castblastkick »

Thanks for the report! Sounds like a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice fish
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Fingermullet, just curious, what kind of stringer is that on the redfish? Being from Oklahoma, I've never seen one of those. I'm always looking for a better stringer idea. I'm assuming that you prefer it over the old school nylon cord and spike stringer?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Fingermullet, just curious, what kind of stringer is that on the redfish? Being from Oklahoma, I've never seen one of those. I'm always looking for a better stringer idea. I'm assuming that you prefer it over the old school nylon cord and spike stringer?
It’s from Stinky Pants Fishing. They have a kayak size stringer-not as long & a smaller float. Pretty good quality. I’ve been using it for a couple years now & no issues.. I attached the link below..
https://www.stinkypantsfishing.com/

rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm catching sand bass left and right on a double jig set up. I'm needing something that I can quickly stringer two boated fish and then get back into the action before the sand bass stop their surface shad attack. I like the Z cleat idea and I believe the locals stores have those in stock. Thanks again.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Oh, I like that dash board too. I'm already eyeballing it for a DIY project. Lol
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm catching sand bass left and right on a double jig set up. I'm needing something that I can quickly stringer two boated fish and then get back into the action before the sand bass stop their surface shad attack. I like the Z cleat idea and I believe the locals stores have those in stock. Thanks again.
Here's what i use for my stinky pants stringer. It works for any stringer that can fit through the holes on the cleat. Easy and quick. Just stick the point end through one hole and it will hold fine if not moving. If moving feed through both holes to hold in place and will not slip out with the point being a straight piece of metal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deck-Line-Guid ... .l4275.c10

I also have this but seldom use it because I put it in an awkward spot. It works well also.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P ... UTF8&psc=1
FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

kickingback wrote:
rattlesnake68 wrote:Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm catching sand bass left and right on a double jig set up. I'm needing something that I can quickly stringer two boated fish and then get back into the action before the sand bass stop their surface shad attack. I like the Z cleat idea and I believe the locals stores have those in stock. Thanks again.
Here's what i use for my stinky pants stringer. It works for any stringer that can fit through the holes on the cleat. Easy and quick. Just stick the point end through one hole and it will hold fine if not moving. If moving feed through both holes to hold in place and will not slip out with the point being a straight piece of metal.

I also have this but seldom use it because I put it in an awkward spot. It works well also.
I like the clam cleat. I looks a little easier to use than the deck line guide. I used the deck line guide on my old yak..

FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

kickingback wrote:

I like the clam cleat. I looks a little easier to use than the deck line guide. I used the deck line guide on my old yak..

rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Thank you again. That deck line guide looks like the ticket for me. I have a block of HDP plastic that I melted down and compressed. I could make one of those line guides in my shop. Ahhh another DIY project.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Oh, I like that dash board too. I'm already eyeballing it for a DIY project. Lol
thanks, the johnny bar is on my daughter's boat.
The kayak shop on SPID (think it's gone now) sold it for under $20, which was crazy and it left quickly with me - Harmony wanted $70 for them.
Where I have the Z-cleat used to be a rod holder, but have a scotty extension mount, and fixed it inside a milk crate by drilling one hole in the milk crate, making a great rear rod holder.
Here's my buddy Lou in my daughter's boat at Arroyo last fall - Rattlesnake Bay.
Here are a couple of views of the rod holder bolted to the milk crate
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Good deal. I've already sketched out the plans for the deck line guide and have it setting on my desk. I'll be cutting a couple out this weekend.
JMS

Post by JMS »

Finger Mullett how about a review of the Bonafide?

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

after tinkering with one of these new style plastic stringers, I figured out they don't bite in a Z-cleat like cordage - they slide in a Z-cleat.
(you can also tie off your old-style cordage stringer with a bowline any place you can loop it, but a tough chore to tie a bowline in a plastic stringer)
But the new style plastic stringers cleat great in a clam cleat (V-cleat).
JMS wrote:Finger Mullett how about a review of the Bonafide?
here, let's see if we can get Finger Mullet's attention for a review of the Bonafide
FingerMullet wrote:Headed out to AP to baptize & slime my new Bonafide SS127. ...
Another nice fat 22”.
After that the bite had ended & the wind really picked up so I called it a day. It was good to slime the new yak!
Tight lines!

FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

Hey JMC & Ron Mc!
Sorry about not responding!
The Bonafide SS127 is great kayak!! There are many well thought out accessories that Bonafide put on this kayak that benefits all anglers!
For being 33.5” wide, it tracks very well. It is crazy stable. I come in at 225lbs & standing up is no issue with no problems wanting to tip over. The seat design is absolutely comfortable.. I fished a good 7 hrs in it my first day & probably could have done another 5 more if it wasn’t so hot. I believe they have the highest seat setting in the industry-they claim. It comes in low & a high seat settings. It has a dry pod in the center that is completely removable. You can easily mount a fish finder on top with your battery pack inside. The front hatch is unique in that it has hinges will open from the front or from your seat for easy access on the water. The storage inside is large enough to place your rods inside. I was able to put in 5 rods with no problem & room enough to put other stuff. It has staging areas for your rods that you can place under your seat for quick access when you paddle up the a tailing red! It comes with a “junk drawer” that pulls in & out from underneath your seat for extra storage. Behind the seat there’s plenty of room to place your crate with a small hard or soft cooler. The handles on the stern & the bow are great-easy to grip. It also comes with handles on the side. The foot pegs can lock in place or they can be unlocked so that they will move freely for a rudder or electric motor steering.
It is rudder ready but does not come with one & Bonafide doesn’t make one?!?! I ordered one from Amazon & waiting for shipment from China-hopefully it will work. A rudder is needed because the wind will push the backend of kayak keeping it from going straight if you are drifting with the wind or padding against the wind/current. Another drawback is the weight-it comes in at 94lbs dry weight. But overall it’s a great kayak! After I had registered it with Bonafide, they are sending me a update package free of charge..I’m not sure what it is since they just notified me today. I think that’s great of them doing that. I don’t believe other manufacturers do that for their customers.
Tight lines!
Adam

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you did great Adam - thanks
JMS

Post by JMS »

Great review thanks, that’s one heavy kayak but it’s loaded

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Oh, I like that dash board too. I'm already eyeballing it for a DIY project. Lol
great closeout price on the harmony dashboard

https://www.backcountry.com/harmony-fis ... johnny-bar
penubly

Post by penubly »

I'm unfamiliar with the area you are talking about. Is this upper Trinity Bay?