Mayan princess saturday?

Fishinganywhere

Mayan princess saturday?

Post by Fishinganywhere »

Getting a new kayak and looking to make it out to mayan princess rigs on saturday the 18th if anyone with some more experience (pretty much any) wants to help me get some fish. Ir any tips or advice for these rigs having only fished the matagorda rig before
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Mayan princess saturday?

Post by Prof. Salt »

I don't know about my plans for Saturday, but the first rig is just under two miles. Fish it carefully before heading farther out, because it usually holds good fish. The second rig is hit-or-miss. The third rig is huge. Stay out from under it, because it sometimes sheds chunks of steel that got weak and rusty. It usually holds fish to its north or south, sometimes 200 or 300 yards away from the structure. Don't neglect that little pipe offshore of the big rig. It sometimes holds fish when the big rig doesn't. Drift baits within 20 yards, and let them drift deep.

Good luck, and I hope a few other guys will show and provide some company.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Excellent advise Glenn!
I've always had better luck around the big rig and the standpipe. I get lots of trolling bait like blues from the first two smaller rigs.
You'll spend all day around these rigs but if you get no bite there are a couple more rigs 2 more miles out from the big rig.
Good luck!
I will be going the end of next week. Look forward to your report!
Fishinganywhere

How far out is the 3rd rig?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

There is the first rig which is small at 2.3 miles out from shore.
The second rig looks like the first at 2.6 miles out.
The third rig is the biggest and is 3.2 miles out
The stand pipe is 3.4 miles out.
The next two rigs can be reached 5 miles out. There are two there.
Navionics lists them.
Fishinganywhere

not gonna make it out tomorrow, got sick and am heading home, but did make it out to the first rig today with my dad and it was good! we each caught one king his at 48” and mine 53”, both our first kings in the kayaks!
Attachments
468E5E61-9242-4722-B5C1-12E00F850A43.jpeg
47339976-D38D-4DE0-BC7D-ADD0D8BAF6A4.jpeg
reelmn

Post by reelmn »

Reemn (Wayne) will be driving in from San Antonio and plan on being at the Mayan Princess around daylight
Saturday Morning.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Fishinganywhere wrote:not gonna make it out tomorrow, got sick and am heading home, but did make it out to the first rig today with my dad and it was good! we each caught one king his at 48” and mine 53”, both our first kings in the kayaks!
:clap: Well done!!
I'll be out Thu or Fri. See you then hopefully. Save some fish for me! :lol:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Fishinganywhere, Nice job man! Congrats to you and your dad on solid fish. I hope you feel better soon.

I went out this morning and had the place just about to myself. Thirteen kings including 53 and 48 inchers, eight solid Spanish, one pompano and lots of other stuff from near the bottom on the chrome jig. Oh, and I lost a good cobia to the first rig ...again. Surf was nice, water in the surf is 84 and offshore it's holding at 82. Vis at the rigs is about 10 feet and kings are tight to the structure, hanging around on the rig corners.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks for the report and update Glenn. Can't wait to get out there and land a few. Not as many as you because you are a "king machine"! Well done on the big catches. That cobia would have tasted good. Did you see that video of the sailfish caught down there last week?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Yep, I saw it. I lost a really big one at the standpipe there two years ago. It's a good spot for them, if you can catch the right conditions. I've also seen them close to the Port A jetties. I hooked one there years ago on my redfish rod that was over 8 ft long. Chris found a nice fish, and was able to release it too. He did good!