Buyers remorse... kind of. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13?

rattlesnake68

Buyers remorse... kind of. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13?

Post by rattlesnake68 »

So I purchased a Vibe Sea Ghost a couple of months ago. It has all kinds of nice features about it, but I don't plug the banks for bass much and that's where is kayak would be awesome, in my humble opinion. I almost exclusively troll. That's trolling up in creeks, lakes, and the Gulf. It's just what I like. Anyways, I discovered that the Vibe is not great for trolling for miles, say 5 miles and more. I'm looking at adding a Prowler 13 to my fleet to troll with. Those in the know, what is your opinion on the Ocean Kayak Prowler as far as trolling? Does it move reasonably fast?
Noeafpj9

Re: Buyers remorse... kind of. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13?

Post by Noeafpj9 »

I’ve heard great things about the Viking reload pro fish. They say it’s fast and breaks through the surf quite well. I witnessed it at the Rey Del Mar tournament when guys with other kayaks were having issues getting out. The guys with the Viking seemed to be getting out a little easier. I fished the big game 2 for about a year and it was sturdy as could be but super slow. I think the prowler is pretty close in similarity but a little wider. Just keep your options open and look at reviews.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I've also had buyers remorse on a kayak. The one thing I learned is not to EVER buy another one without testing it out first. No offense to any members on here but most of us have our own opinions on the pros and cons of kayaks and those opinions may not be what you are looking for. I would test the Ocean Prowler (even if it meant driving a ways to do so) and test another boat you feel is comparable so you can compare the two.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Does anyone have or had an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and have practical knowledge of how the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 slides through the water? :dance:
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

I took my OK Prowler out last week for the first time through the ICW into some boat cuts. Although this was my second time to use it and my second time to be in a yak I have no complaints . I do not have a rudder on it yet but I think it would help on maneuvering and possibly speed.

Land or Sea Blessed by Thee!
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I of course would recommend a Viking Reload (I own two) next to that would be the Prowler 13. BUT you cant trust me or anyone else on the internet. Try them first. Kayak fit is a personal thing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
hcrawford63

Post by hcrawford63 »

I've had one for the past two years and it's been flawless for me. I anchor, drift fish and troll, and it all works for me. Its definitely way faster than any pelican or pescador kayak just from what I've seen fishing with friends Then again this was my first kayak and my budget was around $800. If I did it all again I'd probably go with a used viking reload like they said above. Other than that I couldn't be happier. But give em a try if you can for yourself
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Thanks guys. that's what I was needing to know, especially about it being faster than a perception, since I have one of those. Living in Oklahoma, my opportunities to try out kayaks are extremely limited. There isn't a Viking dealer in my state and only one Academy in my area sells a Prowler 13, and of course they won't let me take it for a test drive. :lol: My "go to" kayak for the Gulf is my Hobie TI. So my next trolling yak will be mostly for creeks and lakes in Oklahoma. Breaking through the surf won't be a major priority for this next yak. Thanks again.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I have a 2007 Trident 15 and love it for trolling, lakes, streams, and Gulf. You are welcome to come down to Plano and take out for a spin. It is the older model and they have made some changes that I do not care for. Give me a call sometime and I can go into more detail. You can take to Texoma if you like. It is a great open water boat.
Earl
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Well Viking Kayaks will be in OKC Aug 27th for Paddlesports Retailer Demo Day and then at the show the 28- 30. We can definitely see about getting you a test of the Viking.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Funny you should mention that. I called the nearest Viking dealer earlier today that is in Dallas. I was planning on scheduling a demo before committing so I didn't have a repeat of the Vibe. OKC would be much better than me driving to Dallas from Norman, Okla. Besides, I work in OKC. Doesn't get much more convenient than that.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

One of my sons has a Trident 11 with him at OSU in Stillwater. I am sure he would let you take it for a spin.
Earl
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Thanks Earl, I appreciate the offer. I just sold the Vibe 5 minutes ago to a bass fisherman, which is perfect for him. Rockport, I'm sending you a PM. Thanks guys.