Matagorda this weekend!

Killerbee

Matagorda this weekend!

Post by Killerbee »

I will be there at the rig on sat morn. Orange hobie with a junkie red dodge with a sharkrack.
Killerbee

Re: Matagorda this weekend!

Post by Killerbee »

Hopefully there are a bunch of toothy critters around!
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Looking forward to a report. I'll be watching this forum like a hawk until my next trip to the coast. Good luck.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

I will be out there until sun
narmour12b

Post by narmour12b »

Where's the rig in matagorda? How far out is it?
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Good luck guys, the rig I think you guys are headed to is 6.5 miles east of the beach road and ~ 1.9 miles off of the beach. Water depth is about 30'. If you guys get out there and all you catch is jacks and the weather is good and you ate your Wheaties then keep paddling another 5 miles out and you will find 10-12 pipe rigs and small platforms. There are usually plenty of kings around and in between those rigs. Then if you still have some reserve paddle to the SSE another 2 miles to the artificial reef. I have not heard any recent reports on what is being caught on that reef but would expect it to be kept pretty mum.

Also, I would expect the 6.5 mile drive down the beach to have some pretty deep sand this time of year. If you do not have 4x4 then good luck. If you do have 4x4 take a piece of carpet 6' x 3', a shovel, and a 5 gal bucket in case you need to get yourself out. And of course you probably already know this but 1 gal of deet if you are camping on the beach. You might get lucky and get away with 2wd at low tide but it is the exception.

Wish I could get down there but I leave for Montana to paddle the North Fork of the Flathead river for 4 days then head to Yellowstone and paddle/camp remote parts of Yellowstone lake for 4 days. Got to get out of this TX/Dallas heat for a bit. Supposed to be 107 today and 110 tomorrow.

Of course we all expect a report on the BTB forum or via a PM.

SYOTW,
Earl
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Earl wrote:Good luck guys, the rig I think you guys are headed to is 6.5 miles east of the beach road and ~ 1.9 miles off of the beach. Water depth is about 30'. If you guys get out there and all you catch is jacks and the weather is good and you ate your Wheaties then keep paddling another 5 miles out and you will find 10-12 pipe rigs and small platforms. There are usually plenty of kings around and in between those rigs. Then if you still have some reserve paddle to the SSE another 2 miles to the artificial reef. I have not heard any recent reports on what is being caught on that reef but would expect it to be kept pretty mum.

Also, I would expect the 6.5 mile drive down the beach to have some pretty deep sand this time of year. If you do not have 4x4 then good luck. If you do have 4x4 take a piece of carpet 6' x 3', a shovel, and a 5 gal bucket in case you need to get yourself out. And of course you probably already know this but 1 gal of deet if you are camping on the beach. You might get lucky and get away with 2wd at low tide but it is the exception.

Wish I could get down there but I leave for Montana to paddle the North Fork of the Flathead river for 4 days then head to Yellowstone and paddle/camp remote parts of Yellowstone lake for 4 days. Got to get out of this TX/Dallas heat for a bit. Supposed to be 107 today and 110 tomorrow.

Of course we all expect a report on the BTB forum or via a PM.

SYOTW,
Earl
Thanks for the info bud! It is definitely sketchy driving this time of year!
trolling dirty

Post by trolling dirty »

This time of year the 2 mile Matty rig should easily have kings. Especially if the super clear water in the Corpus area has any effect on the water near Matagorda. I suggest wire leadering everything since the smacks will be thick and going after anything shiny. If you have pedal drive bring some heavy jigs for drops near the rig itself as there are always great reds and specks hanging out there too ( I say pedal drive cause this makes it easy to "hover" close to the rig while jigging). I had a subaru outback for the trips and never had a problem although it is real nice to time the drive with low tide and just drive as close to the water line as you can
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Good luck! Let us know how you do.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

trolling dirty wrote:This time of year the 2 mile Matty rig should easily have kings. Especially if the super clear water in the Corpus area has any effect on the water near Matagorda. I suggest wire leadering everything since the smacks will be thick and going after anything shiny. If you have pedal drive bring some heavy jigs for drops near the rig itself as there are always great reds and specks hanging out there too ( I say pedal drive cause this makes it easy to "hover" close to the rig while jigging). I had a subaru outback for the trips and never had a problem although it is real nice to time the drive with low tide and just drive as close to the water line as you can
Yes those smacks can really steal some gear fast! I love this rig, never know what's going to be there.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:Good luck! Let us know how you do.
You should join me for a repeat of last year!?
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Killerbee wrote:
I'd like to since we know that can be a good spot, but my son has been itching to go to Bob Hall, so we are going to paddle out with that group.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Killerbee wrote:
I'd like to since we know that can be a good spot, but my son has been itching to go to Bob Hall, so we are going to

Rain check then....good luck to yall!
Fishinganywhere

Post by Fishinganywhere »

Any report on the rig saturday? Just curious, i made it out to the surf but didnt paddle out past the third bar this time and only landed an absurd number of gafftop and one 27” spanish on 8lb mono
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Ok it was an epic trip! I will post a video S soon as I get it edited. I am new at this so it may take me a couple of days.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

I was all alone both days. Surf was rough but doable. Fishing was off the chain.
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

Killerbee wrote:I was all alone both days. Surf was rough but doable. Fishing was off the chain.
Looking forward to the videos. I just got back from California and would love to join you next time. How was it driving in the beach? Was it as bad as they say?
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Killerbee wrote:I was all alone both days. Surf was rough but doable. Fishing was off the chain.
Way cool, can't wait to see the vid. Or, at least hit us with some details on what you caught! :dance:
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

MontleyYak wrote:
Looking forward to the videos. I just got back from California and would love to join you next time. How was it driving in the beach? Was it as bad as they say?
Driving was not bad at all. I would really like that! It is a really good rig.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Way cool, can't wait to see the vid. Or, at least hit us with some details on what you caught! :dance:

Dont want to spoil it but I landed a bucket list fish! Sharks,spanish,jacks,rays!
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Mystery fish and details will be in the video!