July 14, 15 BHP & PINS

rattlesnake68

July 14, 15 BHP & PINS

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Well Alexis and I made it down to Bob Hall Pier Friday evening, but a little too late to put the Hobie TI together and launch so we camped for the night next to James and his son Daniel. Seas were choppy and the wind was a blowing. I'll post up a video after I get it put together. Anyways, we headed straight for the pipe and then on to the rigs further out. Alexis got sea sick right out of the gate, but insisted she didn't want to go back despite chumming the water with the fine breakfast I cooked for her, so we pressed on. Not a bite until we reach the first rig. My drag was set too tight and we lost a ribbon fish on one big Penn and a large diver (from China) on another big Penn. I had tested the line and the drag before we left for the trip and I did have it tight, but not to the point that it broke. So apparently I'm missing some variable, because once in the water with a big fish they did break, and I backed off of the drag a little. Shortly after that while cruising to another rig, we brought in a bonita (false Albacore). At this point Alexis gave in and said she was ready when I was, so I pointed the bow toward the shore five miles away. We had a tail wind and were cruising at half sail when a king fish slammed my bucktail tipped with a fillet of ribbon fish. In the fish bag he went right beside the Bonita. Back on the beach Princess Alexis informed me she didn't care for beach camping and with a call to the wife, reservations were made at La Quinta Inn and Suites. Not surprisingly we got a late start the following morning. We drove to the PINS for the first time and looked out across some rough conditions. Alexis said "nope" and with that, I set up an umbrella and chair for her along with a fishing pole if she got bored. Opening my sails and using a paddle for rudder, I plowed through the surf and out to sea. I had to work hard to get where I wanted. Hobie TIs are awesome machines, but although they have a sail they are not sailboats. The harder the wind blows, the less the Hobie TI performs. With a token of a dagger board compared to my other sailboats, there was a lot of sideways slipping. After hours of being tossed around I only had a Spanish mackerel show for my efforts. Coming back was a little nerve wracking. The Hobie would rise up on a large swells and then surf sideways down into the valley of the swell. Then the swell often crashed over the yak as it met with the side of the outriggers. I was please the breakers in the surf were more forgiving because I expected them to be the big problem. I pulled the fins in, dagger board and rudder up, kept the sail open half way and I sailed right up on the beach pretty as you please. Although we didn't slay the fish, we still came back with 4 or 5 quart bags of fillets and some good memories. I'll be going back down again with my dad, but I'm going to wait for some of those ice cream conditions.
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: July 14, 15 BHP & PINS

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Nice report and good job catching some dinner in what sounds like less than favorable fishing condition. Oh, btw, sunscreen is your friend! Looks like the legs got a little toasty?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Glad you liked the report. We used sunblock, but it was that worthless aerosol kind. trying to apply it in high winds caused the both of us suffered for it. I won't make that mistake twice, it's back to the chalk white stuff that is rubbed on. At least it says on for a while.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Been there, done that too! I only use the Bullfrog gel now.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks for the report! Sorry for the bad waves.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I hope one of those quart bags is not full of Bonito! Real trooper to press on after getting sea sick.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks for the report! I've also got a TI and a daughter who really loves PINS. I tried to talk her into going out there in the gulf with me this past weekend but she wasn't interested in anything offshore. Two weeks ago we launched out of Cove Harbor near Rockport and sailed around to the lighthouse and back. It was a really great time, but not quite enough wind at the end of the day to get us home on time so we put in the miles on the mirage drive.

I have been there with the seasickness (on my last gulf trip I forgot to take my bonine) and the sunburn. I usually cover up with pants, long sleeves, and the facemask, but on one occasion I didn't realize my ankles were uncovered. They turned purple with an all-day sunburn.

Hope to see you out there sometime. I'm hoping the conditions are favorable this weekend for the Bob Hall Kayak extravaganza, but if they're not I'm probably going to hit PINS and fish the surf.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Hi Chris. Glad to here you have a TI also and take the time to spend with your kid. I'll be back out there again before the end of August. I'll be taking my dad out on the next trip. He loves fishing the marsh, but is a little skittish when it comes to BTB fishing. I got him comfortable with some BTB off the coast of Mississippi on the Hobie TI and that's really the only kayak he will consider going BTB fishing in. He is used to catching trout ,flounder and bull reds, but I'm wanting to get him onto a King, Ling, or good sized Bonita. Something that will really make the drag scream. With him being skittish, I'm going to have to time the sea condition just right and I'll probably be down there during the week. I'll post up before I go in case there is anyone else able to break free during the week. Dads not real fond of crowds so weekends are out. lol
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Oldman, I'll take a look at the bullfrog gel. I've never heard of it before. Thanks
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: July 14, 15 BHP & PINS

rattlesnake68 wrote:Oldman, I'll take a look at the bullfrog gel. I've never heard of it before. Thanks
They make gel and a lotion. I like the gel because it goes on clear and seems like it spreads easier and more even. Both last really well. I get it at Academy. About 8 or 9 bucks I think.ImageImage

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: July 14, 15 BHP & PINS

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:
rattlesnake68 wrote:Oldman, I'll take a look at the bullfrog gel. I've never heard of it before. Thanks
They make gel and a lotion. I like the gel because it goes on clear and seems like it spreads easier and more even. Both last really well. I get it at Academy. About 8 or 9 bucks I think.ImageImage

Oh the gel is a bit greasy tho whereas the lotion not so much

jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

It was good to meet the both of you. I enjoyed watching you sail the TI in on Saturday. Daniel and I moved to the bay Sunday and Monday. We fought the wind and without our bay anchors it was tough to stay on the fish managed a few specs. Good luck on your trip with your dad.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: July 14, 15 BHP & PINS

Oh the gel is a bit greasy tho whereas the lotion not so much

I hope this doesn't qualify as copyright infringement (lol) but here's a snapshot from prof salt's latest video and looks like he uses the bullfrog too! Now that's some endorsement!!Image

rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Yesterday I went to our Academy Sports and Walmart, but they didn't have it in stock up here in Norman, Oklahoma. So as soon as I got home, I ordered some. Lol, later that night I watched Glenn's video of his offshore rig and my eyes locked onto the bullfrog bottle and soon has it came out of the hull. I'll be prepared for the Texas Gulf sun next trip.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Hey Tombo. Look what's for dinner. Lol. Yes, one of those quart bags was full of Bonito. Tasted mighty good.
Attachments
Add description
Add description