((((((((((BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 21, 2018 SATURDAY)))))))))) *****UPDATES at top of thread*****

AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: ((((((((((BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 14, 2018 SATURDAY)))))))))) *****UPDATES at top of thread*****

Post by AyJay »

Weather is looking tolerable right now if the increasing waves hold off until Sunday. 2-3 feet is less than ideal but it is doable. Not sure it is rookie conditions though because even that can make the surf into a washing machine on short interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jnd1959

Re: ((((((((((BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 14, 2018 SATURDAY)))))))))) *****UPDATES at top of thread*****

Post by jnd1959 »

It's been bouncing around from decent to marginal to no go. I'm buoyed by the fact that each day looks good even though it was forcast to be higher a few days earlier. Hope to see the seas quiet down as we get closer.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Creeping towards marginally better at NOAA. Showing 2 feet Friday night which is an improvement, 2-3 feet Saturday, but that may mean Saturday morning is a slow build up from 2. Keeping fingers crossed that that trend continues.

Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

I'm still seeing 2.5 - 3 feet at 54-5sec with a steady 15mph wind and conditions worsening as the day progresses. I'm not too optimistic at this point.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Magic Seaweed has it at 1-2 at 5 with winds 14-16. What I have been watching is the daily prediction compared to what it was two to three days prior. The predictions have tended to improve the closer to the target date. It's now trending downward but I don't know if it will continue. Thursday was 1-2 at 4 with 15-18 winds. it is currently 1.9 to 1.4 with 11-9 winds. The next week is not looking good now but that is a long way off. All the models have an increase in wind and wave energy arriving sometime either Saturday or Sunday. I am inclined to believe it will be Sunday/Monday and Saturday will continue to calm the closer the predictions get to actual...but then again, the models could turn around and spike back up. Just too early to tell. If Saturday is ok to marginal and next week looks like it does now, we will likely go ahead and come down. I would hate to miss the gathering (but it would continue my 5 year no-show streak!) but I only have two weekends and I don't want to drop a marginal one for a possible no go. Marginal for me would be 2 to 2.5 with winds 14. Heck, we can always paddle shark bait out. Fishing for hardheads is a lot better than setting at work. At least we appear to have missed the cold water upwelling based on the recent catch rates.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Slowly getting better. Now 2’ or less. For me that’s very doable.

rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Unless the surf gets crazy, Alexis and I will still be there. 10-15 mph wind = awesome time on a Hobie TI. I'll be hosting Alexis' college soccer team at the house the following weekend, so that's a no go for us.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

reelmn wrote:Sign me up! weather permitting I will be there.
I will be driving in from San Antonio the morning of the gathering!
thanks for all you do Blake.
Wayne Ferguson

I got ya added Wayne. Great to hear from you. )
Wanna_Be_Yaker

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

can you put me (first name Aaron) down as a maybe with a guest?
YoungYakker

Post by YoungYakker »

Count me in! Gonna be cool to meet some fellow tkf’ers. Dylan
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Keep an eye on the 28th, based on the long range forecasts I am looking at for the 21st, which is looking like it may be worse regarding wind leading into next weekend. It’s always a roll of the dice when confined to weekends.

jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

We're going down tonight and fish tomorrow and Saturday. Since we have a window that includes tomorrow I don't want to risk next weekend. Hope yall have a good outing when it happens. Maybe we can make number six.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Check out my most recent update I posted at lunchtime today.
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Count me in as a strong maybe now that it's moved to the 21st. I have some work to do to get ready for it, gear wise, as it will be my first BTB, but super stoked!

RJ
Brucell

Re: ((((((((((BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 14, 2018 SATURDAY))))))))))

Post by Brucell »

X
Last edited by Brucell on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: ((((((((((BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 14, 2018 SATURDAY))))))))))

Post by kickingback »

Brucell wrote:
Bassaxeworks wrote:Gents I will be in town during this and will have my Yak as well as my Jet skis. I may be able to get out that way and run my ski as a safety net for yall in the area that day if it aligns well enough as such. Keep me posted on developments.

Chris Dombkowski
PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOU JET SKI!
I hate to be this way, but if you must have your jet ski out with our Kayaks, I'll stay home or find another place to fish
I use my Kayak just for that reason, no motor sounds in the water.
OK :roll:

Can I ask what do you do when you get on the water and there are 3 or 4 boats around the rigs when you get there? Will you go back in and go home?
Please, stay home. I am sure there is going to be at least one motorized floating vehicle on the water. We don't want you to miss out catching fish.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

I guess I was abrupt, so sorry.
Let me come at it from a different angle. This will be the first time BTB for many. This is a kayaking event, let the new folks enjoy the first time out with kayaks only. It's not all about catching fish, we may not catch anything with or without motor sounds in the water.
It is my belief that kayaking is supposed to be a more serene experience, one with nature. I feel the jet ski will take away from this experience.
TX-Kayaker

Post by TX-Kayaker »

Since the current forecast doesn't look too bad, and I will already be in the area, I will still be going out at Bob Hall. Anyone else still planning to go out tomorrow?
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

We are already here
TX-Kayaker

Post by TX-Kayaker »

jnd1959 wrote:We are already here
Are y'all going from Bob Hall, or Mayan Princess?
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Ok, I've been doing a ton of research, as this will be my first BTB trip. Been fishing mostly for bass and catfish in the hill country. I have a lot to get together, gear wise, however I've been wanting to do this since I couldn't make last year's.

As far as rods and reels, I've watched so many YT videos, I'm a honestly bit overwhelmed, so if y'all could help me narrow it down, I would appreciate it. I got a few things from my research: 1. Fast action. 2. Long enough where the line can pass around the yak. 3. Needs to be able to hold 300-500 yds of line. 4. You can get more line on the same reel by using braid instead of mono.

I have a basic salt water combo I got at Academy a year ago to use for surf fishing. 7.5 ft H2O Express bait rod, with a Zebco Stinger 80 spinning reel that holds max 220 yds of 20 lb test mono. I assume it could hold braided instead and then get more line on it? I'm quite sure this is not going to be a sufficient combo for this trip though. LOL.

What should rod/reel should I get for this outing that's say less than $150 total? Or is that price point even realistic?

Thanks in advance!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

rsdroid...... I’d be happy to discuss with you. Give me a call after 10:30 am and let’s discuss. There is much to talk about but I’ll be driving most of the day so talking over the phone hands free will be easier and safer for me. 832-588-7091
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

220 yards of 20lb mono should be adequate unless you hook a monster of a fish.

I fought a king from a boat once on a trout rod with a citca reel. He had me to the backing on the first run but the good drag did its job and finally turned the fish.

I use shimano Sahara spinning reels with about 200-250 yard mono or braid. Must be careful with the cutting action of braid with big fish however. I also use simple old Penn baitcast reels for baits for sharks or kings. More reliable and cheaper. I can’t afford to lose a $350 rod and reel combo when a well thought out $150 one does just as well, frankly.

Keep in mind you dont need a long length of line because your kayak is mobile.

rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

@Ay-Jay

Interesting, thank you!
rsdroid

Post by rsdroid »

Yakety_Yak wrote:rsdroid...... I’d be happy to discuss with you. Give me a call after 10:30 am and let’s discuss. There is much to talk about but I’ll be driving most of the day so talking over the phone hands free will be easier and safer for me. 832-588-7091
That would be super helpful, thank you! I'll give you a call probably around 11. 830 area code.