First Time Kayaker

Bow-Yak

First Time Kayaker

Post by Bow-Yak »

Well wish me luck, maiden voyage in the morning at Gibbons Creek Lake.
Never tried this before in my 62 years, but I am looking forward to trying the basics out as seen on multiple videos and forum reads.
Trying to practice up for our next RV trip to the Gulf or should I say Bays!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TigerLandSportsman

Re: First Time Kayker

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Good luck
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

62 years young?! I'm only 56 and I need a Hobie or more stable ride to keep my old tired butt in the boat!
Good on you for toughing it!
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Well I had to put off the voyage until after church tomorrow. Not feeling well after cutting mesquite and early wedding to attend today.

bug-e

Post by bug-e »

How did your first trip go?
Bow-Yak

Re: First Time Kayaker

Post by Bow-Yak »

Well, my first trip has still not happened!!! Yeah I know it’s been over a year since I bought this kayak and it hasn’t touched water yet. But, I’m headed to Rollover Pass in August with our RV. Trying to set up some kind of bare roof rack for my truck cab. Not sure if the foam pads will hold it safe enough to the cab. I have built a front grill rack with a boat roller attached that extends up to kayak bow for loading and tie down.
Has anyone used the foam roof racks with good luck?

Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

rfox123 wrote:Has anyone used the foam roof racks with good luck?

I have used them. Hit me up and let's discuss. 832-588-7091 Also, when you get down to Rollover, let's meet up and fish. :)

BTW... here is a pic of when I used to use the foam blocks on top of my car. Now I use a trailer.

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Thanks Yackety _Yak, surf or bay location? I’m a inexperienced Yakker. But I have always just jumped right in on new adventures feet first.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

rfox: I started yakking six years ago at 67! Still using the Pescador 12 I bought then. I used to truck-top my yak on my pickup cap top. Instead of using foam blocks, I got giant pool noodles, put 3/4" PVC pipe thru them. I hauled my yak upside down, so I ran bungees with hooks from one end of the PVC pipe over the bottom, with the pool noodles on the topsides. When I flipped it over, the noodles stayed with the yak. I would hoist the yak onto the truck cap, and adjust the position, and strap it down with straps with cam latches. If you run one of the straps down into a far-side scupper, up out the near scupper and to the other side of the vehicle, the yak will be "cinched" and won't scoot around on your vehicle. Two straps are all you need. Have fun! TexasJim
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

rfox123 wrote:Thanks Yackety _Yak, surf or bay location? I’m a inexperienced Yakker. But I have always just jumped right in on new adventures feet first.

rfox123.... I am in the Houston area. I fish all parts of Texas (fresh, salt inshore, and salt offshore). Give me a call and let's discuss things so that you will have a fun, safe, and productive time on the water.
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Thanks for the ideas Texas Jim. Tomorrow I plan to finish my bumper rack welding and I will post pictures of it.

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

ImageImage
Not real happy with the way it turned out. I’m afraid that there is to much unsupported kayak. Pulling an RV doesn’t leave many choices for hauling a kayak.

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

You could make another support that angles off the main upright toward the middle of yak and attaches with a bracket and hitch pins so you could remove it you needed to open the hood
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

I’m thinking about adding a angle iron rail on each side of the yak from front goal post to rails on cab with rollers. Trying to make it easy on and off.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Looks good, rfox! If you use round pipe for the side braces, you can slide on a giant pool noodle with Sch 20 PC pipe over it and it makes a neat roller, however long you want it. I have that kind of roller on my bed extender. At our age, we need all the help we can get.
I've seen a setup like yours with two Wilderness Tarpon 120's in front of a fifth wheel. Go get it wet!
TexasJim
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Get it wet for sure come August 3rd. I’m still brainstorming on making it easy to load and unload.

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Well, finally I got the yak wet, felt like a fish out of water but slowly gain some confidence. I had my grandson with me in a smaller yak, oh to have that youth again. He did tire out on me though, so our trip was short but we had a good non fish catching time though.
I think I’m hooked for this new adventure at 64.

Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

:clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done! Take it slow, get a partner and learn new areas!!! :clap:
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

It’s ready for in the morning. Hoping for good weather, and good water. High tide around 8:00am and slow fall, I will be on the north side of rollover fishing in the cut.
A big thanks to Yackety Yak for giving me pointers and trying to make it down to show me the ropes on yacking . Having to go back early to work , is never good.

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Oh yeah, even though fishing isn’t good, eating is!!Image
Yummm!!!!

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Day started off good, made it to the fishing spot and didn’t have to swim any. First fish, a sand trout second fish a big red fish that tried to turn me over by swimming under the yak and bending the old berkley rod until it broke the line on the bottom of the yak. After that caught more sandies, ladies and smaller reds. But all in all, what a blessed day on the water!
No fish pictures cause none worthy, Maybe tomorrow . Only had one issue while paddling out due to barges on the ICW pulling and pushing water under two small bridges and almost got sideways while paddling at a high RPM.

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

Even though I am kind of new to TKF I have changed my UN from rfox123 to Bow-Yak.

Land or Sea Blessed by Thee!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

rfox123 wrote:Oh yeah, even though fishing isn’t good, eating is!!Image
Yummm!!!!

a good fishing trip should always include good eating

Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

I agree, I had to do steak and chicken because I had no fish.

Land or Sea Blessed by Thee!