Fishing rod size

tito82x

Fishing rod size

Post by tito82x »

Looking to get a new spinning rod and looking at 7'6". Longest I have is 7' and wondering if anyone has had any issues with a 7'6"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Re: Fishing rod size

Post by TexasJim »

For kayak fishing, I like for the rod to be long enough to let me pass the line in front of the bow. For me and my kayak, that's 7 feet, minimum. Which is also the longest rod I can fit diagonally into the back of my pickup, so I can lock my rods in the cap. Serendipity. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I have light-med salt spinning and baitcast rods 7' to 9'. The longer rods are designed for steelhead, but they're excellent for sitting in a kayak and fishing the flats. Aside from the fact that for the exact same cast effort, they literally increase your cast distance by 50% (it's in the math), the higher rod tip off the water makes it easier to control your bait depth over skinny grass and long distances.

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Just depends on what you want and how you want to use it. Like Jim said, make sure you can lock it in your truck somehow if you ever need to stop at a convenience store home depot or what ever, outside of that.. what do you want to use lure wise with it? If you go too long with a med light, you'll have a tougher time throwing med to large tops like skitter walks and super spooks.. Spook jr.s will still be fine with a 7'6 med light. live shrimp free lined cast well on 7'6" med light but it's hard to toss cut mullet on casting bubbles. 8' rods cast freelined croaker well, 7'0 and up cast lighter soft plastics well (1/16th heads and up). But 7'6" and 8' med lights don't make good rods for throwing skitter walks and Paul Brown Fat Boys. I personally like something in the 6'9 to 7'0 range med light and maybe even med (both with a fast tip). Look for lure ratings in the 1/16th to 1/2 oz range if you want to throw the lighter baits, or 1/4 to 5/8oz to throw skitter walks and fat boys. 1/8th to 5/8th oz med light fast tip is my favorite in a 6'9" but I"m sure there is something close in a 7'0 .. that would make a good all-around rod.

I'm really liking my Lews Custom lite sticks.. they're a stock rod built on a high modulus 85 million modulus graphite blank.. ~$140.. if this was spec'd against private custom builders it would be about a $400 rod except for the guides. It's a huge value.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I tend to use shorter ones -- 6'. I have long reach and smaller kayak -- no problems "switching side" if fish runs under kayak. What is more important is for rod to have a short butt, long ones get in a way in kayak.

Smth like DAIWA Laguna 601MFS works fine for everything up to (and including) bull reds and is cheap enough to not worry about breaking your rod by accident.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Crusader wrote:What is more important is for rod to have a short butt, long ones get in a way in kayak.

For sure!!! My long handle rods are just a pain to use when you want to work on a presentation. I have a much harder time reaching my arms out while sitting down, you really need a short butt.

Thanks for that DAIWA suggestion.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Chubs wrote:Thanks for that DAIWA suggestion.
No probs. Another one I like a lot is Berkeley Lightning medium light 6' (don't remember exact model number). Extremely light (and yet I caught two bull reds on it). Dirt cheap (like $30), only problem is after about a year in saltwater guides start rusting.

Also, with cheaper rods you need to pay attention to presentation -- they typically are a bit stiffer than $300 trout rod. :) But with some effort you'll be catching the same fish.

More benefits of shorter rod:
- crappie fishing during the spawn -- long rod is PITA to fish in these overhanging bushes and trees, I even switch sometimes to 5' rod with pistol grip ($8 :)) for trips like that
- easier to untangle braid from the tip -- I can reach it with other hand

Naturally, fishing from the boat 7'+ is better as you want increased reach and space is not an issue.
Last edited by Crusader on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tito82x

Post by tito82x »

Thanks guys for the good info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

6'6" is a good length for me. I have a couple 7' rods but they are not taken along much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I agree with ReelFisherman on the shorter rods for yak-fishing.
Why? Because the shorter rod-length allows for tight maneuvers without extra rod hanging out over your kayak bow.
In addition, when your extra rods are erect in rod-holders, there's less likelihood of snagging one on a backcast. I also like slightly shorter rods for working top-water lures like Skitterwalks & Spook Jr's.
Now you can cue up any "SHORTER ROD" jokes that come to mind! Ha ha.
My only long rod stays mostly well-covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

Dandydon wrote:I agree with ReelFisherman on the shorter rods for yak-fishing.
Why? Because the shorter rod-length allows for tight maneuvers without extra rod hanging out over your kayak bow.
In addition, when your extra rods are erect in rod-holders, there's less likelihood of snagging one on a backcast. I also like slightly shorter rods for working top-water lures like Skitterwalks & Spook Jr's.
Now you can cue up any "SHORTER ROD" jokes that come to mind! Ha ha.
My only long rod stays mostly well-covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, depends on how one is fishing. If you are covering lots of water with long casts, open water, then go long.

But, my favorite rod for fishing out of a kayak in fresh water is a Medium Power, 5'6" length St. Croix. For sneaking up on fish, getting close as we can in kayaks, for making very accurate casts, these short rods are just great.

One other thing: the short length of the rod means it has a short lifting lever so the power you have over a fish is actually much better. Rods actually give the preferred leverage to the fish, else rods would be proportioned like shovels. A short rod gets you a lot of power.

Brad
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have fishing rods for specific use such as 6'9" for throwing a topwater. My favorite rig is a light action 7'6" loomis throwing light weedless plastics for sight casting. The extra length helps to throw light stuff.