What happened to our TKF Fishing Reports? Duh...

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

What happened to our TKF Fishing Reports? Duh...

Post by Dandydon »

Individual Fishing & Game Reports
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... re_type=sf

We could use some nice fishing reports like that, above (if he'd tell us where he caught 'em)! Image. Bring it on. Tell us something. Bing Bong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: What happened to our TKF Fishing Reports? Duh...

Post by kickingback »

Been too windy and wet to fish... :(
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Haven't been fishing in over 2 weeks. To windy and wet now. I did go to Galveston State park and camped out on the 9th but I got skunked. Was more focused on visiting with my friend and his wife and daughter that camped out with me instead of fishing to hard.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Seems like that site has a lot more activity and a lot of good reports. Time to sign up I guess.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Seems like that site has a lot more activity and a lot of good reports. Time to sign up I guess.

Don’t give up!

I wish I could fish more.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Somebody please go LIMIT OUT on speckled trout, plus a few slot reds, then write up a detailed "how to" narrative w/ lures used, depths, currents, winds & GPS coordinates. Thanks, men!
Am I asking too much?

Wag

Post by Wag »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Seems like that site has a lot more activity and a lot of good reports. Time to sign up I guess.

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

Cut on my leg keeping me out of the salt so I'm headed north to the San Antonio area. My little frenzy and a mountain bike. No rods. Took the week off. :mrgreen:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I think a lot of our reports go straight to the Facebook page now of TKF. The Facebook group appears to be a lot more active than the forums unfortunately.

Oh well I'll keep posting up on the forms. I can't find anything on Facebook, any old posts seem to vanish into the ether. Reports are mostly just brag shots on the Facebook group too...
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I haven’t seen a correlation between how enjoyable a report is and the number of fish caught. None at all. I’m off Facebook, so if a report gets put on that I won’t see it. I didn’t enjoy the TKF Facebook page when I was on Facebook.

So if you go out and draw a blank, feel free to write about. Sometimes, that’s the best way to redeem an unproductive day. I always found it was easier to write about the days I struggled finding and catching fish than the days when the catching was easy.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good point, Karstopo, but look at our "current" TKF Fishing Reports. We're lucky to see a new local report each week, & it's the prime-time middle of the Summer! WTF! I remember when new reports appeared every day. This board is descending into pathetic apathy because the reliable posters have gone elsewhere or don't bother posting up their fishing trips anymore.
Our Nighttime Fishing Tourney️ last May was hyped for months. We had fun, but got only 8 competitors! WTF!
It's obvious that TKF needs an infusion of new active members. The old members are "FLED" or DEAD! Bring on the new blood! As our President has repeatedly said (in paraphrase), "It's time to make TKF great again."

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I am happy to post a report for every outing that I take, whether successful or not. Like others have posted, the weather has not been too cooperative lately.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Boo hoo, Watson! Let's get pro-active & go fishing next week. Shoffer caught 3 nice legal specks last week, one a measured 22".., But he didn't post a report, so I'm out-of-order, so to speak.
Thanks for being our hardy third Fishing Fogie (oops, I mean Attorney). See you somewhere soon. Light winds & solid specks.
IMG_6920.GIF

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Gents - I, too, have been remiss, but I did go out on Sunday night, July 1st, with Don. I did not post a report as I impaled my finger on a treble hook and had to cut it out and got a tetnus shot and some antibiotics at 4 am from a local ER near my home, and and then had to hit the courthosue at 9 am that morning, and fly out early the next day. Good news is I have no infection and finger is healing fine. In short, did not have the time to post, but here it is now.

Sunday, July 1st. West bay with DandyDon. Launched at 9 pm, off the water by 1 am. South winds at 12; hit the minor feed from 1130 to 1 am; decent outgoing tide all night. Twenty dinks, a 6 inch redfish, and three legal specs (2 16's and a 22 on a Yozuri crystal minnow with small lip under a surface light). Most specks caught on a 4 inch DSL glo/chartreuse on an 1/8 oz. jighead crawled with steady retreive in the surface lights, and a couple in the underwater lights - same retreive.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the fine detailed fishing report, Shoffer. But don't forget about the 2 solid 16" specks caught by me on my beloved white Norton Sand Eel Jr., tipped w/ a bit of shrimp Fishbite. That was in addition to my 18 throwbacks! Mercy me.
Maybe next year we'll be limiting out on 16"-18" speckled trout? Hello. We need to find some "working seagulls." It's hard to catch legal trout in the peak Summer heat.
Anybody else got some NEWS WE CAN USE? Tight lines & heavy fish.

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Here's a report from me. I got skunked.
I packed up the kayak, fishing and camping gear and took off to Surfside last Saturday. When I got to Buccees I was checking my phone and saw a post from my coworker that he and his family were down enjoying the beach so I thought it would be cool to stop by and say hello before I hit the bay. Well...I was enjoying the visit so much with his family and kids I never left.
7 or 8 beers later they pack up and leave and I set up camp, started a fire and and enjoyed the evening solo. I was a bit to tired and it was windy Sunday morning so I never wet a line. I guess that could explain why I got skunked. lol
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Dandydon wrote:Thanks for the fine detailed fishing report, Shoffer. But don't forget about the 2 solid 16" specks caught by me on my beloved white Norton Sand Eel Jr., tipped w/ a bit of shrimp Fishbite. That was in addition to my 18 throwbacks! Mercy me.
Maybe next year we'll be limiting out on 16"-18" speckled trout? Hello. We need to find some "working seagulls." It's hard to catch legal trout in the peak Summer heat.
Anybody else got some NEWS WE CAN USE? Tight lines & heavy fish.

Wait wait wait a minute here. DD, you are calling us out for not posting reports and you went out with Shoffer and didn't post your report about your two solid 16" specks? Hmmmm...

I will add that my lack of fishing has not stopped my constant need to purchase more lures. I seem to find myself at Academy, Dick's. or FTU at least once a week purchasing at least a bag or two of lures. I purchased a bag of new penny 2" Gulp shrimp today because they look like they would catch fish. I have never had much success fishing with Gulp but I guess I'll keep trying. And yesterday I bought a bag of Tsunami Pro holographic swim baits because, of course, they look like they would catch fish.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I'm just trying to revive this stale website. Congratulations on all those new lures you bought. I posted my fishing report.
Where's YOURS?!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Went to the surf yesterday mid morning, but no kayaks were involved. Took my son and the plan was to soak bait for whatever might want live or cut bait. I enjoy catching my own bait and didn’t bring or buy any, but couldn’t snag a single fish with a cast net. Tried a topwater for a bit in the sandy chop, but that got zero strikes. Next step was the fly rod. The chop and depth of the water we were standing in limited the casting range, but I could get a size 4 pink and white borski slider out far enough to catch some little mystery jack like fish and a bluefish. I cut up the bluefish and put a chunk of it on a baitcasting rig married to a circle hook and egg weight.

My son who had been mostly at my side the whole time and thoroughly enjoying the waves decided he wanted to fish the baited rig from the bar. I had cast the bait into the second gut and then handed the rod to him and went back to the beach for my fly rod. I got that off the tail gate and in the little time it took to get back out he already had a shark on. That went well until my son got a jelly fish sting. That sent the boy to the beach and the shark chewed through the mono at the same time. I put on some thicker mono and another chunk of bluefish, but all the bobbing around in the water made the boy hungry so we came on back to town for food. The sting was bothering him and he just wanted a shower and a full belly.

My kids have always like surf fishing. For us, it really means they swim around some or play on the sand and look at whatever the cast net or minnow seine catches. They reel most of whatever I snag on whatever rig I’m using. I do 95% of the bait catching, casting, rigging, etc. They get the glory of the catch. Works for us.

He and I tried a few pieces of sargassum yesterday after we read it is edible. Watch out for any blue green algae on it, though. Our pieces we picked from the surf looked clean and we ate it al fresco as fresh as fresh gets. It was surprisingly good with a little salty taste, surely from the water, and with a peppery finish. It’s been 24 hours so I guess it isn’t poisonous since we are both a okay.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Another surf excursion today. It was definitely calm enough for kayaking, but we did all our fishing on foot. My son likes soaking bait for sharks and stuff. He also enjoys sleeping in so that means we show up at the beach about 11. Man, I was busting a gut to go fishing as early as possible when I was his age. Kids these days.

No problem, son, if it’s practically lunchtime, dad will catch some bait in the cast net and we’ll be catching fish in no time. That’s kind of how it went. He caught several little sharks and a gafftop and it didn’t matter if the bait was cut or live, menhaden or mullet. I never had more than two rods rigged up and never got both in action at the same time I was so busy baiting, casting and unhooking fish. He missed some fish and one broke off. Image

I finally demanded a break and headed onto the bar for a moment of fly rodding. There’s was just some little water moving over a dip in the bar and something messing with shrimp there. Turns out it was a trout. I guess the pink and white borski slider matched the hatch well enough. Image

Break over, back to unhooking sharks. I was smart enough not to bring any food, just water, so eventually my son cried uncle ( I could fish all day when I was his age with no food or water, kids these days!) and it was off to the Whataburger drive through. Image

All good fun. Rule one with the son is don’t overdo it. We didn’t. It’s all good. My daughter can fish from sun up to sun down, my son has about three hours max in him.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Nice outing with your son karstopo. Wish I lived close enough for those short little trips like that.
I'm gonna try to get down there tomorrow and see if I can get a red to bring home. Been craving some redfish on the half shell. We'll see. I'll post up if I can make it. :)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cityfisher wrote:Nice outing with your son karstopo. Wish I lived close enough for those short little trips like that.
I'm gonna try to get down there tomorrow and see if I can get a red to bring home. Been craving some redfish on the half shell. We'll see. I'll post up if I can make it. :)
My daughter has been bugging me to take her on a kayak trip on Tuesday morning. If the weather works out, I’ll post up on that.