From Stiles... I mean who can you trust if you cant' trust Justin Stiles
Attachments
IMG_E322DECF703E-1.jpeg
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: TSL Grasswalker Review

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Got something killer coming... keep tuning in for an announcement soon.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Got something killer coming... keep tuning in for an announcement soon.
TSL now has a wifi mini camera with mini dc drone powered prop. You tie it onto the line and go find the fish yourself.

$100 add-on to equip death laser incase the fish don't bite it.

You heard it here first!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

LOL... for a limited time only ;-)
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

There have been some great reports coming in this summer. Beach front has been doing real well with the TSL
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

After today I am a true believer in your product. Grass was super thick where I was fishing so much so that even top water was getting fauled up. Ended up landing 15 or so rat reds lost a good red from trying to power him into the kayak and got the pb spec just under 28 1/2. And countless other smaller specs. Gonna have to order more because I went through a whole package from all the fish.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

That's awesome Ryan... congrats on the catch bro. They are good baits... of course I'm biased but they do fill a need we all have and seem to catch better than average trout for sure. Reds love the damn thing...
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Hey Tobin.

I went fishing Port O'Connor this Saturday. There was all sorts of suspended grass in the water which I kept having to clean off my jig heads and plastics. Even top water trebles were snagging that floaty grass crap.

So I swapped over the the TSL with a 1/8 oz swimbiat hook. I forget the brand but it's a black colored weight that's smooth like an oval on the base of the hook.

Unfortunately I have a hard time working it properly when I fish it from my kayak. It could be the winds were around 10 mph I'd guess and I was moving too fast, but I could not work it slow enough without it riding high.

Now I eventually got a sore tailbone so hopped out to wade with my yak snapped to me, tried TSL again and it was night and day difference being anchored and working it. It just seemed to work so much better when I had 2 feet planted on the ground, vs trying to work it from my yak. I seemed to be able to get in the water column where I wanted it and work it at the speed I wanted. Still a little slower than I would have preferred because I like to move fast if I can, but - it lived up to it's name and I never had to clear grass off of it. but It really made me scratch my head - why was it working better out of the kayak than in the kayak? I see you have no problem working it in a "motorized 21' kayak."
I'll note something else - when I was wading, I moved my knot on the swim bait hook eyelet to the bottom of the eyelet instead of straight on. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with making the lure sink better, but I thought what could it hurt. I had to pull the knot down every so often but in my mind it was helping.

Now unfortunately I got 0 bites on it, but I'm not blaming the lure for that because I got 0 bites on anything else ;) And I wasn't out long enough before my dad got tired and we called it a day (arg!).

Anyway - long winded post to get to the point - is my experience normal when working from a drifting kayak or am I doing something wrong? How do you suggest to fish it when fishing from a kayak and not wading?
Last edited by Chubs on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SWFinatic

Re: RE: Re: TSL Grasswalker Review

Post by SWFinatic »

Chubs wrote:Hey Tobin.

I went fishing Port O'Connor this Saturday. There was all sorts of suspended grass in the water which I kept having to clean off my jig heads and plastics. Even top water trebles were snagging that floaty grass crap.

So I swapped over the the TSL with a 1/8 oz swimbiat hook. I forget the brand but it's a black colored weight that's smooth like an oval on the base of the hook.

Here is my probably I always have when using TSL. The darn thing floats on the top of the water column all the time when I fish it from my kayak! It could be the winds were around 10 mph I'd guess and I was moving too fast, but I could not work it slow enough without it coming to the top of the water even with the 1/8 oz weight.

I just didn't like how it was working the top of the column all the time.

Now I eventually got a sore tailbone so hopped out to wade with my yak snapped to me, tried TSL again and it was night and day difference being anchored and working it. It just seemed to work so much better when I had 2 feet planted on the ground, vs trying to work it from my yak. I seemed to be able to get in the water column where I wanted it and work it at the speed I wanted. Still a little slower than I would have preferred because I like to move fast if I can, but - it lived up to it's name and I never had to clear grass off of it. but It really made me scratch my head - why was it working better out of the kayak than in the kayak? I see you have no problem working it in a "motorized 21' kayak."
I'll note something else - when I was wading, I moved my knot on the swim bait hook eyelet to the bottom of the eyelet instead of straight on. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with making the lure sink better, but I thought what could it hurt. I had to pull the knot down every so often but in my mind it was helping.

Now unfortunately I got 0 bites on it, but I'm not blaming the lure for that because I got 0 bites on anything else ;) And I wasn't out long enough before my dad got tired and we called it a day (arg!).

Anyway - long winded post to get to the point - is my experience normal when working from a drifting kayak (lure floats to top all the time) or am I doing something wrong? How do you suggest to fish it when fishing from a kayak and not wading?
Chubs you weren't the only one not doing well Saturday in POC. Same here. I talked to 7 or 8 different boats/yaks and there was one keeper red caught between them. At 2p there were 2 trout being cleaned at the fishing center. Plenty of room at the fish cleaning table.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Chubs wrote:Hey Tobin.

Here is my probably I always have when using TSL. The darn thing floats on the top of the water column all the time when I fish it from my kayak! It could be the winds were around 10 mph I'd guess and I was moving too fast, but I could not work it slow enough without it coming to the top of the water even with the 1/8 oz weight.

I just didn't like how it was working the top of the column all the time.

Anyway - long winded post to get to the point - is my experience normal when working from a drifting kayak (lure floats to top all the time) or am I doing something wrong? How do you suggest to fish it when fishing from a kayak and not wading?
Yeah, doing something wrong. Maybe not the cast but how the Kayak is moving and how it's causing a situation where it might be pulling the line / bait. That's why you're seeing the difference when you get out and wade. I think the yak is moving and putting the lure behind you and you end up pulling it which is going to make it ride on top.

Chubs, the lure does NOT float, I think you saw that when you were standing on the bottom and the kayak not moving. I fished weightless Sunday in 20mph winds and in a drifting boat as well.. but I think your yak is drifting more forward or at an angle and not straight down wind. If you're kayak is moving so fast that while you are casting downwind, the lure ends up cross wind and you're pulling baits kinda cross behind you.. adjust your cast a little out in front of you so that you'll continue to have the lure downwind of you. I'm sure that is what is happening if it's not happening while you are wading and the kayak isn't moving that just means it's not the bait and something else.. another solution would be a drift sock while you are drifting and casting, that will slow you down and cause the kayak to move less. Find out if your yak is drifting straight in high winds by drifting towards a stationary object like a crab trap buoy or something.
Last edited by TroutSupport.com on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Chubs wrote:Here is my probably I always have when using TSL. The darn thing floats on the top of the water column all the time when I fish it from my kayak!
Depends on how you put it on it will tend to swim down/up/sideways when you work it. Also (at least in my experience) I have to keep my rod sideways when fishing it from kayak (or with rod tip down when fishing from the boat) -- otherwise most of the time it doesn't feel (and behave) right. I think it depends on hardware you use and how you put it on -- you end up with different behavior depending on where your center of mass will be.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I suspect you guys are both right - the yak is probably moving too fast. I never tried the drift sock but I always think I should have. And - working it with rod tip straight up - it doesn't feel quite right in the kayak as you mention Crusader - I'll try it sideways next time.
I'm not sure I'm drifting diagonally - maybe I don't understand what you are saying - but... I think I get you on the working the lure behind me part. I always find my yak wants to put me perpendicular to the wind if I don't have an anchor out or drift sock trolleyed behind. Which is very hard to work anything that's not fast sinking in the wind. I'm casting cross wind and drifting over my cast in short order and ya, then I'm pulling my lure towards myeslf...
And without that sock out I drift too fast when working it sideways lol.

Alright will see how it goes next time and will use my sock!!!

Tobin I did enjoy using it when I was wading, don't get me wrong. It's probably just user error in the kayak.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

@Chubs, I use my trolley to move the drift sock to the back of the boat. Though if your boat is short enough, you can just have it tied on the stern and throw it over when you're ready for it.
It's easy-chair fishing to sit back with the boat nosed down wind.
Without a drift sock, you're missing out.

Drift sock takes 2 lines - the one forming a parachute is taunt and tied to the back of your boat.
A second, longer slack line is tied to the back of the drift sock, and of course accessible at your hands, so you can easily bring the drift sock back in when you want.
Scotty clips work great for clipping the one line to the lift handle on the back of your boat, and the retrieval line to the side handle.

The Yak Gear vinyl drift sock that ACK sells is pretty tough and works great
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/86 ... 18-in.html
but you have to provide your own paracord. Pick two colors so you can tell the two lines apart.

Folded, they don't take up much space in your milk crate. This red paracord is the retrieval line, and there's a shorter yellow working line folded inside the drift sock.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Crusader wrote:Depends on how you put it on it will tend to swim down/up/sideways when you work it. Also (at least in my experience) I have to keep my rod sideways when fishing it from kayak (or with rod tip down when fishing from the boat) -- otherwise most of the time it doesn't feel (and behave) right. I think it depends on hardware you use and how you put it on -- you end up with different behavior depending on where your center of mass will be.

To add to what crusader said i've also seen some guys take them out of the package that has that clear package tray and just store in tackle box.. it will help the lure stay the right shape if everyone leaves them in the package... right now in this heat it won't matter much but during the colder months will definitely make a difference as the plastics get stiffer in the cold and if they are bent or out of shape. In the current temperature that's not a big deal as they will be soft enough to stay straight.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ron Mc wrote:@Chubs, I use my trolley to move the drift sock to the back of the boat. Though if your boat is short enough, you can just have it tied on the stern and throw it over when you're ready for it.
It's easy-chair fishing to sit back with the boat nosed down wind.
Without a drift sock, you're missing out.

Drift sock takes 2 lines - the one forming a parachute is taunt and tied to the back of your boat.
A second, longer slack line is tied to the back of the drift sock, and of course accessible at your hands, so you can easily bring the drift sock back in when you want.
Scotty clips work great for clipping the one line to the lift handle on the back of your boat, and the retrieval line to the side handle.

The Yak Gear vinyl drift sock that ACK sells is pretty tough and works great
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/86 ... 18-in.html
but you have to provide your own paracord. Pick two colors so you can tell the two lines apart.

Folded, they don't take up much space in your milk crate. This red paracord is the retrieval line, and there's a shorter yellow working line folded inside the drift sock.
Man this is why I love this site! I never thought to rig my drift sock like you mention but it makes complete sense and I'd probably use it a lot more!

My problem has been it gets stuck in my rudder a lot when I attach it to the anchor trolley without paracord (too short and ends right on the rudder - tangle city). And I never thought to tie it back further because I didn't see how it would work. Now I think I have an idea on what to do :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

cool !!
glad to help - I love lazy drift sock fishing, especially at the end of a tiring day

My dad in his bay boat doesn't do anything but drift fish - he won't get out of the boat, and I've been guiding him all my life.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

drift socks are great!
osorojotx

Post by osorojotx »

I fished POC this weekend and threw the TSL almost the entire time to focus on learning how to fish it. I switched back and forth between weighted and unweighted hooks (I believe both were 4/0 sized) depending on the situation but the lure performed well. For the most part, I was fishing flats between knee and waist deep water and had a considerable advantage over the guys working paddletails on jigheads and the guys fishing topwaters due to floating and submerged grass. The TSL allowed me to spend considerably more time in the zone with a clean lure. I caught about 15 trout and 3 reds with the chicken and bone over the course of two days.

My one issue was missing hook sets, but I got that sorted out as the day went on. It took some time for me to get the hang of reeling down and thumbing prior to a big hook set. I should also mention that I did not bend the hooks at all as is recommended. When I did get a quality hookset, the fish was on for the duration. The hook placement was generally in the corner of the mouth and took pliers to remove.

I had the best results with the unweighted configuration working it pretty slowly. I'd let it sink a little and dart it back and forth. One of my favorite things about this lure is it's ability to work shorelines. I could cast back into the grass and pop it out right along the shoreline. All in all, I love the lure and feel much more comfortable with it. It really has the ability to produce in almost any situation.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great review - I passed it along to my friends who are going out in 2 weeks
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Couple of Big Trout were caught this week. I'll see if I can put them in the fishing report.
Corky Chunker

Post by Corky Chunker »

I like them a lot, especially down in Mansfield when the grass gets bad.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
Endo

Post by Endo »

I've used these twice now. Once on the bay flats and another in my local bass lake.

1) I didn't catch diddly squat on them on flats for Redfish, but to be fair, I didn't catch anything on my normal baits either. Conditions sucked due to all the high water. I'll of course go for round two on my next trip down.

2) I used these for bass recently on my local lake. I tore the bass up. Worked really well pulling them through the submerged milfoil. Actually worked better than my normal rotational lures I use on the lake. It was the only bait I got hits on that day. :D I'll definitely be using them again.

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

They do catch bass too, that's for sure.. It's just a matter of time until you get it in front of the fish in the salt.. they hit it. Don't worry. There's a lot of guys really liking them and even some guys using them solely in tournaments. If you're on fish, and cant catch them due to shallow grass or shallow oyster.. put one on and you'll get the hits you're looking for. Then next thing you're leaving it on and won't take it off.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Rick Commander is one of my customers and he fishes Rockport and Matty a good bit. He had a couple really great trips back to back with the TSL.
Attachments
IMG_3855.PNG
IMG_3854.PNG
IMG_3853.PNG
IMG_3852.PNG
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

A couple of new reviews came through the site. one from your very on Ron Mc. Thanks Ron.

Another from a totally new kayaker..his first kayak trip ever.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 9.19.54 AM.png