Old Quintana Rd.

dead wait

Old Quintana Rd.

Post by dead wait »

I'm trying to find someone that is real familiar with the Quintana area. To be more specific. If your coming from Bucees on 523, turn left on 1495 and follow it to what's called Levee rd. Turn left on Levee rd. and follow it down to Old Quintana rd. Old Quintana rd. runs right along with the Intercoastal Canal. If you follow that Old Quintana rd. it eventually dead ends. But before you get to the dead end, it looks as though that there might be a pull off to where you can fish.

So, just looking for someone that know's the area. There are alot of refineries down there so, I'm sure that alot of that area is private property. I'm not looking to access any private areas. I'm just looking for something that is open to the public.

If anyone has any good input on this area, I would prefer a private message. We can discuss why i'm interested in this particular area. I do realize that there are plenty of other areas to fish. But i'm only interested in this particular area.

I'm adding a photo with a pin of the area in question. If you know the area, you should recognize this place right away.

Thanks in advance.
Freeport.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Old Quintana Rd.

Post by Neumie »

Not sure that would be an area I'd target.

I would make a right on Levee Rd and fish Bryan Lake and Old Reservoir. Just be careful with tides because it has quite a bit of oyster and it has a very soft bottom, so low tides make it impossible fishing.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Follow the road in GE and see there is a gate to that area. Don't think you can get in there to launch. Sorry. That's how I see it.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

kickingback wrote:Follow the road in GE and see there is a gate to that area. Don't think you can get in there to launch. Sorry. That's how I see it.
X2.
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

I didn't do such a good job with the first picture so, i'm posting another. Maybe this will help.
Freeport.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

GE is Google Earth.

I'm not too familiar with the area, only fished there a half dozen times, but there does appear to be a gate at 28.930614°, -95.335521°.

What appeals you to that launch site? You'll have to deal with the slope of the levee to the water, plus a small vertical drop off at the water's edge judging from Google Earth. I guess nothing about launching my kayak there appeals to me when there are far better options near by; IMO. Just curious about your thought process.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I believe there is a gate at the red circle. I’m not 100% certain, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

Neumie, I’ll gladly explain it to you in a pm. Also, I was Not aware that there was a gate on Levee rd. I never noticed it or completely overlooked it. Thanks for the heads up.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

And before you let your hatred out on me some more, let me help you one LAST time...

You could have said "Thanks KB and Karst for the reply but I don't know what GE is?"

Everyone can see your replies....good day. :dance:
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

I thought you were gone. Back for more. You could have written a PM like I asked to begin with. Maybe your the one with the reading problem. I've got no hatred towards anyone.
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

, I would prefer a private message. We can discuss why i'm interested in this particular area. I do realize that there are plenty of other areas to fish. But i'm only interested in this particular area.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

TKF...not the friendly place it once was.
And the beat goes one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Maybe Cuervo, it' the time and circumstances in which we presently live. The political scene is, to say the least, absurd. It is not setting a very good example of gentleman ship.

It's up to each of us who care, to continue to open the door for women, and to make everyone around us as comfortable with our actions as possible.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

With reckless abandon, I am going to offer my two cents. I know the original poster is focused on that one area, but I do have a suggestion. There is a public boat ramp under the bridge not too far from the site the original poster is looking at. Google Earth shows it to be 1.33 miles to the subject area from the boat ramp.
Capture.JPG
Perhaps that is a workaround?

And a zoomed in image on Google Earth shows a gate of sorts, but not one over the road:
Capture3.JPG
Perhaps the Original Poster may give it a shot and let us know how it looks.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 64368&z=10

better off to head down to matagorda or up towards san luis pass and galveston... just scour google earth satt images and you can find everything you need... use street view where possible..
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I may have to drive out there tomorrow to find out for certainty if there’s a gate there. It’s bugging me that I can’t specifically remember the gate so there is only one sure way to know

I’ve used that ramp under the bridge there. That’s a busy section of the ICW. The locks on the Brazos seem to confound the water traffic moving through. There’s also another ramp over by the Coast Guard Station at Surfside. One might have to dodge a 700’ long ship or two making the paddle over from there. The port of Freeport is humming these days with big freighter traffic. Those big ships cause some crazy surges through that area. The ICW cuts through there too with a barge blowing by every few minutes. Not the most kayak friendly spot. There are red snapper in the harbor in a hole that is 70’ deep, but the Coast guard will shoo away anyone that tries to fish for them. The coast guard very actively patrols the area with boats and helicopters. There’s billions and billions of $$ invested in that little area. The Strategic petroleum reserve, a good chunk of it, is just down the ICW at Bryan Mound. Get too close in a kayak and you will be greeted by some serious folks with some serious firepower. The coast guard helicopter is fitted with a 50 cal. Machine gun and who knows what else. There’s probably even a Reaper drone overhead.

Years ago, lots of folks fished that area, but the security landscape has changed considerably these days.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Cuervo Jones wrote:TKF...not the friendly place it once was.
And the beat goes one.
It depends on your definition of "friendliness"... Unpopular points of view typically get trashed by local "tolerant" neo-liberals. Luckily, this forum's admin seem to stick to old formula of liberalism, otherwise a lot of people (including me) would've had been banned already.

Gotta say that so far I enjoyed gusto OP used to deal with kickingback's insults and innuendo's. I have no ideas what they have between each other, but can't say he hadn't it coming. :mrgreen: In my days these situations were solved by "stepping out"... Great friendships were born sometimes from these incidents. Damn, I am turning into an old grumbling fart... wasting my time talking to ppl I'll likely never meet. I am outta here. So long and thanks for the fish!
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

kickingback wrote:You can't read either? I have no insults or innuendo's....I speak facts and truth. If you don't like it get lost. This forum is great for people to help each other and when an idiot you try to help INSULTS you then it is on in my book. Even those that interject to get on the bad wagon that are not part of the convo.
Learn to read. I posted help and when he ignored me and others I made a factual comment.
Move along or keep this going....I'm easy pointing out the facts and truth about people with attitudes. :horse:

I for one know that many people have thanked me for the help I offer. Only ones that complain about help are idiots that can't read. I just make a note about who respects and appreciates the help and place the idiots on the "ignore idiot" list. Simple and easy to do. Life is too short to worry about idiots. :dance:

And if you don't like my posts, put me on your ignore list...please...I hate putting idiots in their place.

Done with this thread. Point made and posts prove it.
I'm certainly glad we have moved on from this. I do appreciate everyones opinions and help. There was a particular reason I was wanting to launch in this spot but, I think the Coast Gaurd thing is enough for me to change my mind.
I even appreciate your help kickingbird.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I guarantee that if this was a live and personal talk, face to face, none of the hostility would have happened. Too many good points to this post to let it get away.
I am going to edit some of the negative so the thread reads differently.
Tom
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Big no trespassing sign on both sides of the road at the levee/old Quintana road intersection. Image

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

Karstopo, your the man. There's my answer. No can go. Problem solved. I appreciate you taking the time to do a drive by. You saved me a road trip from Sugar Land.