Finally, decent Redfish on the fly

Tombo

Finally, decent Redfish on the fly

Post by Tombo »

Made up my mind that the heat is not going to let up so I ventured out of the air conditioned cocoon. Launched around 0615 and the fish were cruising around looking for nothing in particular. Turns out Redfish don't like the heat either. When the sun got up and turned things hot, the Redfish just hunkered down and stopped moving. There was an occasional blow up but not like before.
First fish landed was by mistake as I was casting to one red and spooked it. As I watched the Red cruise away my fly was laying on the bottom. Next thing I know Bam!. Landed about an 18" Redfish. Took a pic and thanked the fellow for my first fly rod Redfish this year.
The pattern was to be cast to a Red and spook it.
I always check out a small flat bordered by oyster shells on one side and a shallow drain cut on the other. Turns out there were Redfish in there from several mud boils.
I was basically doing a roll cast, a method where I have a bout 15' of line out and a short cast in various places ahead of my kayak.
Picked up a good fish and it took me around in circles. Took a pic on the truth board and let it go.
Off the water by 9AM.
Attachments
Big boy
Big boy
P8020027.JPG (31.48 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
First Redfish
First Redfish
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Finally, decent Redfish on the fly

Post by karstopo »

Nice. Glad you found some. Sounds like you’ve got that roll casting method down. Good way to cover water since there’s no reeling or much stripping going on. I’m dying to get out and get tugged around like you did.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I need to get out too. Work has kept me too busy lately. Friday I’m leaving town for another week. Eventually I’ll have some time to get back to the marsh...maybe. I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flykool25

Post by flykool25 »

I fly fished a couple of times in the salt with nothing to show. I am new at this and hope to catch something someday. I can feel your excitement of your first red on the fly. If you fish Galveston /Christmas bay area let me know . Hard to find guys who like to fly fish.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Thanks flycool. I only sight cast to Redfish when using the fly rod.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Hey Tombo,

You know why most fishermen don't catch any fish mid day? Because they have all gone home to the A/C. :)

Missed bumping into you on this trip. I was at Orvis one Friday. I had lots of out of town company so I didn't venture out from them much.

There is a lot of work to still be done down there but the fishery is in great condition.

See you next time,

John