Headed to South Padre

ben_beyer

Headed to South Padre

Post by ben_beyer »

I now have a meeting in South Padre later this month. We basically have a morning free to do whatever we want so I'm thinking of taking my kayak.

What's a good place to launch and area to fish down there?
TexasJim

Re: Headed to South Padre

Post by TexasJim »

"North" South Padre or "South" South Padre? South Padre Island, the world's longest barrier island(until cut in two by the Port Mansfield Channel), is 113 miles long, with East Corpus Christi at the North end, and South Padre Island(city), at the South end, across from Port Isabel. Many tourists have travelled to the wrong end. People used to get off the airplane in Corpus, looking for Schlitterbahn, which was in South Padre Island. Then, to confuse matters more, they built a Schlitterbahn in Corpus! Don't worry, both ends have great kayak fishing.
I have friend from Corpus and one of her friends long ago tried to copyright the name "Upper South Padre", which would have been a helpful name and description for Corpus Christi's end, but he was refused the copyright. He probably didn't grease the right palms. Have fun! IslandJim
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

If ur fishin south padre u bringing yak? Or bank fishin?
Jetties has been producing some nice reds , mangrove, sandies

Gaytan bridge on hey 48 has been producing snook

Let's go,fishin...Coco!
Z-man
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

We will be in the city of South Padre and I am planning on taking my kayak.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Definitely try to hook up with Z~man! At least use his recommendations where to fish. TexasJim
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

jetties or Mexiquita flats. They are close and its not a far paddle. Launch on the port Isabel side.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

fish 3-5 fow along major channels, especially around structure (patches of weed, etc). In the early morning you can try hitting flats with top water or TSL (flats over there have thick weed cover -- jig typically is not an option).
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Crusader wrote:fish 3-5 fow along major channels, especially around structure (patches of weed, etc). In the early morning you can try hitting flats with top water or TSL (flats over there have thick weed cover -- jig typically is not an option).
TSL?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

You see that guy above my first post in this thread? His lure... :)

Also check this thread.
Mrcarcrazy

Headed to South Padre

Post by Mrcarcrazy »

I recently moved to Port Isabel. There are two main launches that I’ve encountered. One is on the island, southern end - drive through the KOA campground and you literally cannot miss it. (If you get hungry, Pier 19 is a pretty good eating spot as well...its right next to the kayak/ boat launch.

The other is within rock throwing distance of my house, so scream and I’ll throw a rock at you! It’s a place called Arturo Galvan Coastal park. To get there you drive down the street next to Sutherland’s (with the largest ever speed bumps)...you’ll hit a stop sign @ north shore, drive straight and you’re in the park. A bunch of people launch Kayaks from the western side of that park.

If you’re launching a hobie please hit me up...I really would like to lay eyes on one before going to corpus to buy one. I’ve only seen a couple down here.

I’ve only asked a couple of the fishermen by the house what they’re catching and with what. All were Specs and all were with shrimp as bait. (Quick stop on hwy 100 in Port Isabel is a great little bait shop with very friendly people). Beware of Oyster by the park. There are “trails” out which are clear. Also tide will have an impact on your launch at this site.

Oh I’ve also seen people launch from next to the Causeway. So that’s another good option I suspect.

Hwy 48 on the way to Brownsville has two spots where I see fishermen daily. I suspect one of those is the one mentioned above by Z~man. Sounds like a local, so that’s exciting for a newbie to the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Mrcarcrazy wrote:I recently moved to Port Isabel. There are two main launches that I’ve encountered. One is on the island, southern end - drive through the KOA campground and you literally cannot miss it. (If you get hungry, Pier 19 is a pretty good eating spot as well...its right next to the kayak/ boat launch.

The other is within rock throwing distance of my house, so scream and I’ll throw a rock at you! It’s a place called Arturo Galvan Coastal park. To get there you drive down the street next to Sutherland’s (with the largest ever speed bumps)...you’ll hit a stop sign @ north shore, drive straight and you’re in the park. A bunch of people launch Kayaks from the western side of that park.

If you’re launching a hobie please hit me up...I really would like to lay eyes on one before going to corpus to buy one. I’ve only seen a couple down here.

I’ve only asked a couple of the fishermen by the house what they’re catching and with what. All were Specs and all were with shrimp as bait. (Quick stop on hwy 100 in Port Isabel is a great little bait shop with very friendly people). Beware of Oyster by the park. There are “trails” out which are clear. Also tide will have an impact on your launch at this site.

Oh I’ve also seen people launch from next to the Causeway. So that’s another good option I suspect.

Hwy 48 on the way to Brownsville has two spots where I see fishermen daily. I suspect one of those is the one mentioned above by Z~man. Sounds like a local, so that’s exciting for a newbie to the area.

I have a Jackson Coosa HD. I need to figure out if I'm going to take it or not I guess. I'll have to see if the hotel has a place I can lock it up in.
Mrcarcrazy

Post by Mrcarcrazy »

ben_beyer wrote:
Mrcarcrazy wrote:I recently moved to Port Isabel. There are two main launches that I’ve encountered. One is on the island, southern end - drive through the KOA campground and you literally cannot miss it. (If you get hungry, Pier 19 is a pretty good eating spot as well...its right next to the kayak/ boat launch.

I have a Jackson Coosa HD. I need to figure out if I'm going to take it or not I guess. I'll have to see if the hotel has a place I can lock it up in.
Oh nice! I Don’t see many of those either. (I always try to ID the kayaks, my wife says I have a problem.)

Anywho, even without a kayak there are some great fishing opportunities between the jetties, wading in waist deep water, or off the piers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk