Car top Loading

Tbolt0405

Car top Loading

Post by Tbolt0405 »

I just read a post about roof top kayak carriers, and came away with a couple of new ideas. But, what I'm having a little trouble with is actually getting my kayak (Vibe Seaghost 130, 75lbs) onto the car. Its supposed to be 75lbs empty, but either 75lbs is more weight then I thought, I'm not as strong as I thought I was, or its much more than 75lbs. I've heard stories about folks busting out their back windows while trying to push the yak's up over the trunk, so what are ya'lls ideas on doing this easier? I know there's lift assist systems available, but right now I can't afford one.

Thanks!
Tbolt0405

Re: Car top Loading

Post by Tbolt0405 »

Should have mentioned, I have a Toyota Camry sedan.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Proper solution: buy a truck
Workaround: buy 1 (or 2) bathroom mats (those rugs with non-slip underside) and put them on the trunk (and on back window) of your car before sliding kayak on. Eventually you'll find a way to damage the paint, but at least it will be minimized.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Contact a dealer and ask the rating of the car top. They have specs for it.
COtransplant854

Post by COtransplant854 »

If you have $40 to drop, here's what works for me.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/16 ... oller.html
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That will be good if the roof holds but he has to contact the car manufacturer to get the weight correct.

If you have to go with a car topper make sure to get the factory made luggage rack for your car.
It puts the rails on the side of roof where the door panels give more support. This will keep the load from being laid directly on roof and putting stress on the roof and windows. Be safe rather than sorry.