Good kayak launch place at Texas City dike

yaknewby

Good kayak launch place at Texas City dike

Post by yaknewby »

Anyone have a favorite launch site at the TC dike? I'm going fishing at Mosquito Island Thursday for the first time in my yak and don't know where to launch. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Yaknewby
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Good kayak launch place at Texas City dike

Post by MobyYack »

There's a rocky beach halfway down the dike on the south side but beware of large freighters using the deep channel that runs parallel to the dike. Tide and wind is especially touchy there too so know the forecast before u go.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

Launching near Mosquito Island is easy. Transporting your kayak from car to water, across the oyster shells, is the main challenge. If you have light kayak, you just carry it. If you have a kayak trolley, even better.

If you are not aware, the area of TCD near Mosquito Island, is full of razor-sharp oyster shells. Do not wear flops or shoes with unprotected toes or unprotected heels. The shells will cut your feet and summertime is when vibrio is present. Also, the left side of Mosquito Island (side closest to Skyline Dr.) has a very large deep hole that is approximately 14' - 18' deep. Drowning fatalities occur almost every year in that deep hole. The drop off is very steep and abrupt.

Good luck. Have fun and be safe.
yaknewby

Post by yaknewby »

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll drive down there tomorrow and look at the situation. I know after looking at maps, I want to fish closer to the Skyline Drive end because of the ship channel. I've gotten nearly swamped once in my duck boat because of being too close to the ship channel. It wasn't fun for sure. Thank you again for the responses and help. If I do any good I'll post pics.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

I've never yakked on the channel side of the dike, so I can't vouch for that area.

The Skyline Rd shoreline is relatively deep, around 4' - 5'.

IMO, if you're targeting trout, I'd spend time working the water just beyond the end of Mosquito Island and beyond the waders. The depth at the end of MI is also about 4' - 5' and each summer, trout can be found there.

The ship channel wakes should not be a problem for you around Mosquito Island, at least I've never encountered any problems there from the ships.

When I was out earlier this year, they were charging a fee to come on to the dike on weekends, but it was free during the week.
yaknewby

Post by yaknewby »

Thank you. I feel more easy about fishing there now with y'alls responses. My main concerns were being able to launch the yak fairly easy, staying out of trouble with the ships passing, and fishing safety around MI. I'll be with another yaker. Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.
TxGulfCoast

Post by TxGulfCoast »

The city recently built a small slip specifically for kayaks at the base of the dike on the south side. This is really the only place to launch on the channel side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I don't know about anyone else but I have used the small kayak ramp at the base of the dike on the right before going onto the dike. There is a parking area and you can launch easily. There is also a boat ramp halfway down on the right directly across from the islands. I launch there all the time with no issues. Never crowded either. Both are on the channel side.
TxGulfCoast

Post by TxGulfCoast »

kickingback wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I have used the small kayak ramp at the base of the dike on the right before going onto the dike. There is a parking area and you can launch easily. There is also a boat ramp halfway down on the right directly across from the islands. I launch there all the time with no issues. Never crowded either. Both are on the channel side.
I stand corrected... I sho forgot about the small ramp. Tight lines

TxGulfCoast

Post by TxGulfCoast »

Has anyone done any good around here recently?