5/2 bolivar(with gunfire)

Cityfisher

Re: 5/2 bolivar(with gunfire)

Post by Cityfisher »

You being on Bolivar it would not surprise me if someone was being protective of that spot back there and tried to scare you. I've run into several who have pitched a fit and said we couldn't fish where we were, which was a total lie, because we were in public waters. They can get really protective over there.
But with that said, I have been on the other end of that one. My friends and I were on his own property shooting at a target on the property. We had 9 mils and 45's shooting at first with no issues. Then 2 of our friends pull out their AR's and start shooting at a bucket across Bastrop bayou. At the very get go I did not think this was wise as there were a few boats that came cruising by. After a few rounds were fired a gentleman with his son came cruising up in his boat, he got out and walked up to us and flashed his badge. He was an off duty DPS officer and told us we had to stop. Of course we did stop, even with the hand guns. I still wonder if he had the right to stop us firing at a target with our hand guns on this guys own property? We did have a big stump set up with a target on it shooting parallel with the bayou and not towards it.
I don't know?
But shooting across the bayou with Assault rifles, yeah, that was wrong, and dangerous. And whoever was shooting in your direction was absolutely wrong.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Wow, guys, you feel justified in taking someone else's liberties away just because you feel uncomfortable. Without having any ability to confirm whether bullets actually were whizzing around that guys head. Or checking if that was a mistake of some sort or an incident. Without giving "offender" any benefit of a doubt you lined up to condemn the man. And then someone even lectured me about "MEification"! Unbelievable... Your over-exaggerated concerns are that exact same thing.

And funniest thing is: unlike you I actually have been there "under fire" and with my own eyes looked at situation and found nothing dangerous -- those shots were coming from far away, at least half a mile. There was zero chance for me to get hit even if that guy actually aimed at me.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

lol wow i didnt mean for any of this when i made the thread maybe i should delete it... for all we know it could have been my imagination hearing bullets wizz by... im over it... was over it 5 mins after it happend so lets all get over it :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it has to happen, because people believe jingoism always prevails with firearms, and responsibility doesn't matter (this is certainly the case of extreme opinions on both sides).
No one ever has the liberty to be irresponsible with a firearm, and only an idiot believes they do.

Not one is offering to take his liberties, only to check his bad and potentially illegal habits - that's all he stands to lose, and needs to lose.
Cityfisher wrote:...
But shooting across the bayou with Assault rifles, yeah, that was wrong, and dangerous. And whoever was shooting in your direction was absolutely wrong.

As Cityfisher will tell you, when corrected by a DPS officer, his not very bright friends didn't lose any liberties, and learned about their bad habit.
Asking the Sheriff about this situation will not cause democrats or even Rosie to stalk him, throw him in jail and take his firearms, but might get him in a conversation with a deputy about what is allowed and what is not allowed, and where to shoot responsibly. In spite of the movies, the Sheriff's department is neither corrupt nor pedantic - the Sheriff is an elected official.

Some people's only exposure to gun safety is at a (good) firing range. A good firing range will make you pass a safety test at least once before you're allowed to shoot there.
Enough being irresponsible with firearms is how All will lose their liberty.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

also in phase with CityFisher's first tale, a friend and I were confronted in the upper Guadalupe one day, Kerr Co. legal access and wading, by two on the bank playing Deliverance with rifles, and hoping to scare us for fun.
CC weapons remained concealed, but were there if we needed them (though they saw me opening the clog-balls on my Brady bag, and I think my friend may have unzipped his vest pocket at the same time). They moved on.

In much of the world, men with guns = power + graft. Unlike those countries, our law enforcement is here to serve.
In our country, firearms ownership can't be power, and must be responsibility.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/non ... _faq.phtml

Q: Is it lawful to hunt or target shoot in or on a public lake or stream?

A: Hunting or shooting is prohibited on numerous rivers and lakes by local ordinance or by statute.20 Shooting and hunting on lakes and rivers presents practical challenges even where not prohibited by law. For example, it is a crime to discharge a firearm projectile across a property line, such as shooting from a state-owned streambed onto or over the adjacent private property.21 Additionally, if the animal or bird escapes to or falls on private property adjacent to the water, the hunter is faced with a dilemma: Retrieve the animal and risk committing the offense of trespass, or stay within the area open to the public and risk committing the offense of waste of game or failure to retrieve.22 It is not lawful to hunt on or over private land that is flooded by a public stream, if the submerged private land is properly posted.23

In the case of shooting parallel to Bastrop Bayou, the LEO might be citing the law above. In theory and in practice, a bullet could deflect or a shot gone wide from your stump backstop and enter the space over the Bayou. The Bayou is essentially a public road and you can’t fire on or over public roads. Certainly, shooting over the Bayou is a clear cut violation. I think the LEO was making the correct call. If he could motor up and know what was going on then y’all were shooting too close and potentially putting boaters at risk. It would have been better to shoot away from the Bayou towards a firm backstop. Everyone knows or should know how a bullet potentially will deflect off the surface of the water to travel long distances. A stump isn’t an adequate backstop in the situation described, so close as it was to a public space, navigable stream, like Bastrop Bayou.

In my case, people were shooting at dumped trash (another violation) near, on really, the shores of oyster creek. Shooting at Things like dumped televisions, buckets, etc. The projectiles were deflecting and continuing on over the creek. People were shooting from private property or the public easement, it’s hard to say because they move around some. Bullets were traveling beyond the very thin screen of brush and into the space, public navigable water, that I was occupying. I could hear the projectiles as they tumbled overhead. I was anywhere from 200 to 300 yards down range based on Google Earth. I’m going to call law enforcement every time this situation happens. No one has the liberty to shoot over and into public space like public navigable roads especially as the land is within the City of Freeport and is covered by local statute prohibiting such dangerous and reckless behavior.

I’m the biggest supporter of the second amendment there is and would like more people out there who are responsible to have and be familiar with firearms. I’m against irresponsible firearm use.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Cityfisher wrote:...
But with that said, I have been on the other end of that one. My friends and I were on his own property shooting at a target on the property. We had 9 mils and 45's shooting at first with no issues. Then 2 of our friends pull out their AR's and start shooting at a bucket across Bastrop bayou. At the very get go I did not think this was wise as there were a few boats that came cruising by. After a few rounds were fired a gentleman with his son came cruising up in his boat, he got out and walked up to us and flashed his badge. He was an off duty DPS officer and told us we had to stop. Of course we did stop, even with the hand guns. I still wonder if he had the right to stop us firing at a target with our hand guns on this guys own property? We did have a big stump set up with a target on it shooting parallel with the bayou and not towards it.
I don't know?
Also worth noting in Cityfisher's tale, the DPS officer responded with restraint, even though he and his son were on a boat and could have considered themselves downrange of the firing.

If you have Operation Game Theft on your phone, you can report the incident there. A Game Warden can respond with jurisdiction.
You've done the right thing and never have to hear about it again past the end of your phone call.
smtxom

Post by smtxom »

Crusader wrote:Wow, guys, you feel justified in taking someone else's liberties away just because you feel uncomfortable. Without having any ability to confirm whether bullets actually were whizzing around that guys head. Or checking if that was a mistake of some sort or an incident. Without giving "offender" any benefit of a doubt you lined up to condemn the man. And then someone even lectured me about "MEification"! Unbelievable... Your over-exaggerated concerns are that exact same thing.

And funniest thing is: unlike you I actually have been there "under fire" and with my own eyes looked at situation and found nothing dangerous -- those shots were coming from far away, at least half a mile. There was zero chance for me to get hit even if that guy actually aimed at me.
I'm perfectly fine with someone losing their "liberty" to own a firearm if they're not following the rule of law that governs that right. The law states that projectiles cannot cross property lines. It doesn't matter whether the person meant to shoot in the poster's direction or whether the adjacent property is vacant. They were breaking the law. This is the same as someone poaching who doesn't know bag limits (ignorant). It should be addressed immediately by authorities period.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Crusader wrote:I was fishing there about 2 weeks ago, had similar experience -- someone was shooting when I was launching. Did not hear any whizzing close to me, though. Oh, well, occupational hazard... Don't be a pussy. :mrgreen:
Im will to bet if they were shooting at your pussy :mrgreen: ..you would feel the same as he did it's not fun to have bullets fly past your head