Broke in the Marshfly Nano

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Broke in the Marshfly Nano

Post by Piscator »

I was fishing the Sabine Wildlife Refuge. Found some clear water and finally caught a red on my 7'6" Marshfly Nano. It was moving away from the front of the skiff but not spooked enough to ignore the fly. It ran 40 feet in two seconds and I was glad the line was not wrapped around the rod butt like it usually does. The rod handled that red with no problem. Not the greatest picture. The sun was so bright I could barely see the screen. I was throwing a clouser-like shrimp-like pattern tied with craft fur.

Did see a couple of dozen small rays in the grassy areas. I have never seen rays back in the brackish marsh. Anyone know of flies or lures to catch them? I could just gig or bow shoot some for shark bait, but catching them may be more fun.
Attachments
IMG_20180522_095835860.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Broke in the Marshfly Nano

Post by karstopo »

Nice red! I like short fly rods and usually have a couple of 7’6” rods aboard. I can’t remember what the nano is. Is it an 8/9 weight?

My one and only stingray on the fly came on my Shrimp pattern I do. I never actually brought it to hand, I was fishing out of a boat in the calm surf and caught a couple of gafftop then the stingray. It was big and I could barely budge it with my 8/9 Short Stix.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

My Nano is 8/9 wt. I caught a red about the same size on my 7-6 spinning rod. Then picked up the Nano and in a couple of minutes caught that one. The Nano seemed to have more horsepower.

All my fly rods from 70's and 80's were 7-6 to 8-0. My Max was 7wt.

The shorter rods fit in the yak and skiff better. So far I can cast far enough with the short ones.

I like and dislike the one piece option. No fear of it coming apart and good strength, but not good for traveling.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

ImageImage

This is the shrimp pattern I got the stingray to take, except with a light pink back. The stingray was up near the shore and was just an accidental catch as I was mostly searching for redfish. It probably didn’t hurt that the fly still had a little gafftop slime on it from a couple of those. The ray must of been a big one because I could hardly budge it with my 8/9 weight Short Stix and eventually just decided to break it off after a few minutes of not gaining any ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk