Colorado River - Water Release

pearlbeer

Colorado River - Water Release

Post by pearlbeer »

Anyone know why they are releasing so much water on the LCR? Does not seem like we would need to given the lack of major rain recently. Additionally, I thought the LCRA was no longer providing water to the farmers down river? The water clarity has been stained for some time now, and I find that it really effect the fishing. Hoping we can see it clear if they finish the construction projects and slow the release.
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: Colorado River - Water Release

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

I hadn't heard they weren't sending water downstream to the farmers....I think that is part of their charter and they have to do that. I know there was some controversy during the drought when they didn't. I was talking to one of the guides for all water guides during the trash bash and he said the key is finding out what the release schedule is (if there is one) and trying to plan to dish before it or trying to catch the end of it after the wave goes through to fish. I know that's not much help.....sorry

I did find this on their site. Apparently they don't control releases for longhorn....

https://floodstatus.lcra.org

@cigarsnjeeps
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

I pulled up hydrants for flow data and this reading is from around the 183 area. You can surmise that the release started some time around 1030-1100am. Flow is the right column...if I'm reading it right. Actually looks like it started a little earlier. You can see the flow increasing.

@cigarsnjeeps
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Yep. There has been a pretty consistent release all year so far. Last weekend it was running 2000cfs.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Legally they must release water for those with surface rights "first in time, first in right" and also maintain a minimum amount of flow for the health of the bay systems.

Longhorn dam was never controlled by LCRA, but was initially controlled by Austin Power when they had an operation power plant on the lake. I think recently it transferred ownership to Austin Water.