The NIGHTTIME TOURNEY©️™️

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: The NIGHTTIME TOURNEY©️™️

Post by shoffer »

MWatson - just come fish as a solo team and have some fun. Who gives a shi*? Not me - just get out there and do it, man.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

With all this talk of game warden this and game warden that - they are now wise to the fish haul about to happen overnight! I would not be surprised to have a squad of game wardens converge on Waterman's about 7AM!!

I will just refer them to one of my two lawyers that will happen to be present!!

Have fun guys!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I can hear it now –
Officer 1 – Hear that men – they are all coming in with double limits – we are gonna get em now – those redfish rustlers!

Officer 2 – Well, if they caught some before midnight, then some after midnight, then is that not just 2 daily limits?

Officer 1 – Naw – it’s a double limit if it in their possession – one would need to be at home. We got those rustlers now.

Officer 2 – Andy – should I put in my bullet?

Officer 1 – Yeah, Barn – Load em up!!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Man, wish I was coming :\

Good luck all of yall, and most important have fun and stay safe! Don't forget those life jackets!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Should be interesting...only two teams showed up at 7 pm. Don and Shoff and one other team. Yakity-Yaks team was coming late. Not sure if any others will fish and show at 7 am in the morning.
There were so many prizes but I think not enough people to win them. They will save many prizes for the NEXT night tourney!
I will not be able to make the weigh-in so good luck to all!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

On my way down. I will be at morning measure-in.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

We had a fun & safe NIGHTTIME TOURNEY last night, with 4 formidable teams competing. A few nice specks & redfish were caught. The three fishing trophies & entry money were all awarded.
I'm too tired to write up a Tourney summary now, but will do so tonight after a long Man-Nap...
Thanks to all who joined and helped. Kudos to Charlie KickingBack for showing up & contributing some fishing gear that will be awarded at a future fishing competition.
We all agreed the nighttime fishing was terrific & vowed to team up for more adventures soon. Fish on!
IMG_6719.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Our NIGHTTIME TOURNEYImageImage️ was a roaring success because all 4 kayak-fishing teams caught fish & nobody got hurt (except me)!
Immediately before our launch at Sea Isle I got careless & impaled a sharp Rapala treble hook into my right-hand palm area. Shoffer worked on the bloody mess for about 15 long minutes, finally poking the hook-barb thru the skin & snipping it off w/ wire-cutters. I bit my lip, took a swig of Makers Mark & went night-fishing. After 2 hours of irritating missed hook-ups, Shoffer & I finally scored 7 decent specks to 19". Hardly enough to win a trophy in this tournament!
The crafty team of Pole Position (Michael) & Farside (Brandon) came in from fishing Tiki Island w/ about 12 specks to 22" & a barely legal redfish. They won the Speckled Trout trophy & $45 in prize money. Kudos to them, "The Trout Masters."
MWatson71 arrived late, but had some fun fishing Tiki, too (I think...) and caught some decent redfish. But no trophies for our courageous "solo" (no team) entrant Michael who confessed to being a lawyer, as well. Our sympathies to him...
The other late-arriving team of YaketyYak & YakRunabout fished THREE areas, including Tiki & two others. They showed up w/ about 9 speckled trout & 2 redfish. Once measured, their 2 redfish won the Tourney Redfish Trophy, AND they won the Total Fish Trophy with 115"+ of total entered fish. Their total prize money was $90. The Pole Position/Farside team got second-place in the Total Fish category, w/ about 110" total.
Shoffer & I won nothing (!) except a night of enjoyable fishing & some new terrific kayak friends. We all agreed that the fish last night were ultra finicky as they rushed our lures, bumped them, then usually
IMG_6719.JPG
fled without getting hooked. Kinda frustrating....
The best lures were small white plastic minnows & grubs such as Berkeley swimming minnows & small glow Suicide Shad. Didn't get much action on the Rapala & Yozuri hard lures, except for hooking my right hand! Where's my damn medicine?!
Let's hope some other Tourney contestants chime in with their "corrections" (ha ha; my memory ain't perfect) and briny tales of the canals last night. Thanks to all who competed & we may have another Tourney next year (or who-knows-when?). Tight lines & safe fishing trips to all.
IMG_6720.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG
IMG_6718.JPG

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Man it sounds like you guys had fun, well, excluding the catch of the night....DD's hand!!! DD, did you measure your hand and add the inches to your catch totals? I sure wish I lived a few hours closer so I could join you guys sometime. A 2 or 3 hr drive would be doable but not 6. Well done guys and congrats to all the trophy winners!!!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ha ha on me! No sir, did not measure my huge hand (I can palm 2 regulation basketballs!) & add it to our total inches because it wouldn't have done any good. We got beaten fairly & completely by some competent fishermen.
That's OK and the way the world works. There's always "next year!" Come join us next time.

Farside

Post by Farside »

Thank you DD and Shoffer for putting this together, we are ready for the next one!!

Correction: Specks to 23.5", because in life an additional 1.5" can make all the difference. :lol:

All specks were full of shrimp.
Attachments
20180520_070037.jpg
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Great job guys. Glad it sounds like y'all all had a good time minus DD's hand.

Impressive fish too, and catching any fish is better than my last trip of 0 keepers :)

I kept wishing I was out there all last night, but definitely glad I got the sleep since I've been out and about since 7:30 this morning and just got back home. Anyway,I hope to make the next one.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Thanks to Double D, Shoffer and Kickingback for organizing this event. I had a great time.
DD – if you are soliciting corrections – Thanks for the generous trout count for us, but it was closer to 6 than to 9.

Congrats to Pole Position and Farside for that nice trout stringer from Tiki – that was a productive night for you guys!

We had a late start due to a youth baseball playoff game, got underway and found I-10 shut down, went down I-45 and it was shut down at 610! We ended up heading to the coast on Highway 35 through Pearland then through Friendswood! We did not get a line wet until after 11PM! This did not matter, as it turned out, since we found the same finicky fish as DD noted. The bite finally turned on and we each contributed 3 specs and Blake added the two slot reds! I had several reds but they topped out at 19”.

It was a fun night and great to meet everyone this morning.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, men, for your kind words & good vibes from the Nighttime Tourney. Yes, my bloodied hand probably hurt my fishing & caused the Shoffer/Dandydon team a few fish. That is our official excuse for not winning a damn trophy!

But what REALLY HURT was the unfortunate accident I suffered later involving a renegade pencil...
Please don't worry. I'll be fine & fully recovered in a month or two...Time to go get some more of that Kentucky Bourbon!
IMG_6724.JPG

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol:
Thanks Don and Shoff for putting this together!
Congrats to all for the wins and competing! Wish I could have been on the water with you but it was nice to meet you all!

I want to suggest we do another SOON in the summer on a cool night out of the sun! Let's not wait until "next year"!
Anyone want to second this? :clap:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

:clap: :clap:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

kickingback wrote::lol:
Thanks Don and Shoff for putting this together!
Congrats to all for the wins and competing! Wish I could have been on the water with you but it was nice to meet you all!

I want to suggest we do another SOON in the summer on a cool night out of the sun! Let's not wait until "next year"!
Anyone want to second this? :clap:
I'd like to get a group going some time soon for sure. I have yet to start planning my June trip. maybe even if I do an all nighter I can convince my wife I still need a day trip and get a twofer :)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Despite the fact that we got out on the water late, we had fun! The wind kept the mosquitoes at bay and the water was calm for us where we fished. I had a great time and I know my team mate did as well. I enjoyed meeting everyone at the measure-in. It was a pleasure and if anyone wants to fish sometimes, hit me up. 832-588-7091.

PS: If anyone is interested in doing my offshore kayak fishing outing, check this link out: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=246712

This event is free and as of now, we have around 80 kayakers participating. Post, PM, call, text me if you have any questions.
If you are new to BTB kayak fishing, this outing is for you. I have put this on for five years now. I wanted to do something to help new people out for going beyond the breakers. Come on out and let's catch some fish. Tight lines!!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats gents on a successful tourney! Only wish I could have been there with Ken and Blake to share in the bounty! Way to go guys!! :clap: :clap:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks again DD and Shoffer for pulling it all together. It was great meeting you guys at the morning measure. I ended up going straight to the Astros game after my son’s little league game and reaaaaalllllly started to feel the sleep deprivation around the sixth inning of the pitchers’ duel. Luckily the Astro bats came alive and gave me a second (or third) wind.

I actually fished a bunch of canals closer to San Luis Pass. I launched a little after midnight and only managed a couple of undersized specks and then the one decent red that, blackened with a side of alfredo and some broccoli, fed six very happy people for lunch.

I saw some decent specks in the lights but like you guys couldn’t coax them into a bite. I might try another night time outing this week to test some of the things I learned from this trip.

Looking forward to the next one and agree that we shouldn’t wait a whole year for it.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

mwatson71 wrote:Thanks again DD and Shoffer for pulling it all together. It was great meeting you guys at the morning measure. I ended up going straight to the Astros game after my son’s little league game and reaaaaalllllly started to feel the sleep deprivation around the sixth inning of the pitchers’ duel. Luckily the Astro bats came alive and gave me a second (or third) wind.

I actually fished a bunch of canals closer to San Luis Pass. I launched a little after midnight and only managed a couple of undersized specks and then the one decent red that, blackened with a side of alfredo and some broccoli, fed six very happy people for lunch.

I saw some decent specks in the lights but like you guys couldn’t coax them into a bite. I might try another night time outing this week to test some of the things I learned from this trip.

Looking forward to the next one and agree that we shouldn’t wait a whole year for it.
Was a pleasure to meet such a smart, thoughtful yak-fisherman & Astros fan! We have plenty in common, Mike (except I'm 66 & half-crAZy!). As I mentioned, Shoffer & I welcome fellow souls like you. Let's go fishing!

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I would have been there but you guys disallowed my 4000 lb petro fueled 'kayak' ... I'm just sayin ;-)
Hope you guys had a good time. Keep it up and maybe do it in June or July when it's warmer and more still ( oh and lift the size limit on kayak ;-)
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

Thanks to all who participated and to all who are a part of the TKF community. Kayak fishing AND new friends...who could ask for a better night? It was a pleasure to meet everyone and I look forward to fishing with y'all again soon. Like we said Don, it doesn't have to be a tournament. Let's just get together and tighten those lines!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Tobin, you were invited, but only if you joined our plastic Navy for the night. Ha ha. I told Shoffer you probably already knew the best night-lights & canals to target...Nevertheless, you're still invited to compete & sponsor us in the future (wink, wink$)...
Pole Position Mike: what a pleasure meeting a yak fisherman crazier than me! You are so intense that your eyes glow like a bear's in the dark. Hearing you talk about fishing makes me want to take notes. Congrats on your impressive stringer of 10 solid trout, plus the ones you let loose via CPR. Come fish w/ us anytime, but preferably on a relaxed weeknight!
I'm hoping my Co-Director Shoffer chimes in to tie up this Tourney thread w/ a big salty bow. He shared all these 2 months of Tourney duties w/ me right down the middle. He's good at fishing & organizing, & is the best fish companion I've ever found.
Thanks, Stewart, & thanks TKF for making this all possible.
--Dandydon
"The only one"

Check out my new bargain tandem yak, on sale @ Academy. Shoffer has the front seat!
IMG_6701.JPG

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: I don't think it will work with your luck with HOOKS!
You and hooks don't mix well, I can only guess the condition of the blow up raft after a night out!
We would have to launch the "kayak navy" to come rescue you two! :lol: