Do I need an inline fuse from a Lithium battery to a Garmin Striker 4?

SaltySam

Do I need an inline fuse from a Lithium battery to a Garmin Striker 4?

Post by SaltySam »

Hey gang. I've been lurking on this website for years, and finally got around to creating a profile and making a post. Before I do, though, I'd like to say thanks for posting such great pics, instructions and information. This place made me a better fisherman without a doubt.

I'm in Nebraska, and I've mainly stayed in shallower water, small lakes and private ponds. I'd like to venture out a little farther, and picked up a Garmin Striker 4 fish finder to help me out. I've decided on using a NOCQUA pro power pack as a battery source, since it's light and waterproof. Setting it up, and mounting it should be fairly straightforward, but I can't seem to find a solid answer on whether or not I need an inline fuse.

If I do need one, where would I find one?

Electronics aren't my forte, so don't feel like you'll be talking beneath me. Pretend I'm 5 years old, and that should be about right. Thanks!
Kirk B.

Re: Do I need an inline fuse from a Lithium battery to a Garmin Striker 4?

Post by Kirk B. »

The answer to the fuse question is always, "Yes!"
Since lithium batteries go boom on occasion, a fuse would protect your electronics, should the worst happen. Better to be out a battery, than to be out a battery and a fish finder.
Put the fuse in the positive leg, next to the battery. On a closed system like this (not using the chassis and bodywork for grounding) it doesn't really matter which leg has the fuse, but putting it on the positive leg is a good habit to get into.

Kirk B.
SaltySam

Post by SaltySam »

Great! Thanks so much for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K5RCD

Post by K5RCD »

Yes, an in line fuse is needed. Put it in line on the positive wire as close to the battery as possible, using a waterproof fuse holder available at most auto supply stores and marine dealers. Look at the Garmin manual to see what size fuse is recommended, usually a 2 or 3 amp fuse. It can be a spade type, or cylinder type as long as it is in a water tight fuse holder.

The sole purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring from overheating and catching fire in case of a dead short in the wiring or the unit. It has NOTHING to do with protecting the Garmin unit from battery failure or any other issue, it simply opens the circuit if amperage draw exceeds the level of the fuse.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

K5RCD wrote:The sole purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring from overheating and catching fire in case of a dead short in the wiring or the unit. It has NOTHING to do with protecting the Garmin unit from battery failure or any other issue, it simply opens the circuit if amperage draw exceeds the level of the fuse.
Good input here.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

ive had the striker 4 for almost a year now and you cant find a better fish finder for that kind of money... autozone oreillys and advance auto all have the fuse holder, even walmart... i just remembered my scottty transducer arm broke out of no where yesterday... gonna order new one now lol