First time kayaking for reds...

chad73

First time kayaking for reds...

Post by chad73 »

My wife and I are trying to plan a trip to the coast for some red's... we are both experienced kayak anglers but we are not sure of where to go for red's and trout. We live in North Texas and are trying to plan a trip to the Galveston area. I am not looking for your personal spots but I am looking for an area to start.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: First time kayaking for reds...

Post by Yaklash »

There are plenty of places you can catch reds in Galveston Bay system, but the number of launches will tend to limit your access. I suggest you buy a Hook-N-Line map for Galveston. Be sure to get the one that lists Kayak Launches. If they aren't available in your area, on your way down, stop at the FTU store on Fuqua and the Gulf Freeway. They have them and they also have everything else you might want or need for a fishing trip to the coast. It is also a really neat store to just browse.

Then, on the map, find the launches near where you're staying, see which fishing areas (numbered on the map) are paddling distance from that launch. There is a legend/table on each map that gives a monthly rating for which species are good in that numbered area in that month. It is obviously a general guide, but is pretty good source of information. Also, look at Google Earth for any area you're thinking about fishing to have an idea of the structure, presence of grass shorelines, marsh drains etc.

Trout in Galveston Bay are a bit tougher nut to crack. Good luck, be safe and tight lines.
chad73

Post by chad73 »

thank you for the info. I will for sure be stopping at FTU on the way down...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you want to catch bull reds, High Island over by Port Arthur is a great beach location to go 400-600 yards offshore to catch bulls.
chad73

Post by chad73 »

not sure if I can get my wife offshore. She is good with the bays and marshes but she does not like to go offshore.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

If you want to focus on redfish in Galveston area, I would hit the Freeport Marshes right now. The reds in the Galveston system right now are mostly with the trout that Andy spoke about. The freeport system forces the reds to go to the marshes becuase quite frankly, that's all there is in Freeport other than some small back lakes.

pm me if you like.
Darkarcher159

Post by Darkarcher159 »

https://www.austinkayak.com/launchpoint

Here is link to a bunch of kayak launch points all over the state. Several options in the Galveston area. Good Luck!!!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Darkarcher159 wrote:https://www.austinkayak.com/launchpoint

Here is link to a bunch of kayak launch points all over the state. Several options in the Galveston area. Good Luck!!!
FYI, Bay Harbour and Terramar Beach ramps are no longer open to non residents. Not sure about Sea Isle
chad73

Post by chad73 »

well instead of going to Galveston we are now going to Rockport to Fish Copano Bay. Thank you guys for the advice. Just hope that the fish are biting in Rockport.
WestTXFisherman

Post by WestTXFisherman »

My kids and I are headed down to Copano at the end of this month. Any reports on good places to go are appreciated!
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

kickingback wrote:If you want to catch bull reds, High Island over by Port Arthur is a great beach location to go 400-600 yards offshore to catch bulls.
Just a heads up, alot of people have been catching sharks down here close to shore, im no shark expert but they are ranging from about 1.5 feet to about 3.5 feet....

Be safe and fish on!
powerpro69

Post by powerpro69 »

TroutSupport.com wrote:If you want to focus on redfish in Galveston area, I would hit the Freeport Marshes right now. The reds in the Galveston system right now are mostly with the trout that Andy spoke about. The freeport system forces the reds to go to the marshes becuase quite frankly, that's all there is in Freeport other than some small back lakes.

pm me if you like.
Would Swan Lake be included, wondering because I will be down at the beach with The Mrs and some others this weekend and I'm planning on sneaking off, only ever fished fresh water, so I'm kinda going in blind other than the reading I've done here and some Youtube videos.....
WestTXFisherman

I plan on fishing there also. I have fished it once before and not had much luck. This time around I have gotten all the Trout Support videos and actually have a tentative plan of action though. So we will see. The house we are staying in is on Egery Island, so I am hoping to get some tips from people who are familiar with that area as well. Good luck!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

powerpro69 wrote:Would Swan Lake be included, wondering because I will be down at the beach with The Mrs and some others this weekend and I'm planning on sneaking off, only ever fished fresh water, so I'm kinda going in blind other than the reading I've done here and some Youtube videos.....
yes, from Mud lake, Bryan Lake, and Swan. Also that old oxbow off of Oyster Bayou. Any of that has potential. Better potential than some back marsh off the upper bays for right now.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

The area of Port Bay, Swan Lake this time of year, I would not waste time back in the lakes themselves unless there was absolutely no action or bait out on the bay side of those lakes. From Rattlesnake Point out to the chain of islands where Redfish Lodge is, there are usually good schools of keeper trout roaming with bait schools. Being where the tide empties thru the island chain into the bay on the end of an outgoing tide can be quite good. Also, a lot of resident trout and bait hang around Redfish Lodge because they have the only pier lights in the area. Never di very well out in Copano for reds. They tend to be back in the lakes. Ask Tombo about reds in that area.
WestTXFisherman

Thank you Yaklash. That is some good info. We tried the Rattlesnake Point area last time we went down there also. But again, we were basically just floating around and blind casting. This time with the Trout Support Videos hopefully we can do a little better. I would be fine with my son catching fish even if I didn't catch a thing. We are loaded up with TSL lures and all the other lures recommended on the video, so we will see how it goes. We will be down there May 25th-1st. Ive got my tide charts printed out and ready to go. lol.
WestTXFisherman

Also, we are looking at maybe putting in at Goose Island and either going across St Charles Bay or up it. Thoughts?