Post by TannerJames »

what do you guys throw when yaking the lights? threw this sunday night Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lure of choice when fishing lights?

Post by kickingback »

Looks like it worked for something big! :lol: Did it get away? Make sure to change the hooks on those because there are some big reds in the lights! The trout are no problem with the standard hooks that came with them but reds are bigger and harder heads for the hook to bury in.
I throw 2"-3" paddle tails, 3" curl tail grubs, 3"-4" small profile wake baits and small top waters. You can pretty much throw at them anything but matching the hatch and letting the lure get hit by the bigger girls on the bottom coming up to feed on the bait fish in the light is best.
I like firetiger, glow/char, and morning glory (dark) for colors. I have to change up the colors or size or weight of jig head sometime to get them to bite what they are looking for.
Yo-Zuri and hunchback lures work well for me but I mostly throw 3" paddle tails in firetiger color with a 1/8 oz jig head in tandem on 30 lb mono attached to my 30 lb braid main line by swivel clasp.
Don't forget there are usually flounder around the outside edges of lights as well and a bottom dragging bait is usually best.

HAve you tried tying that lure with a Rapala knot? It makes it a small loop for the eye so the lure moves easily when not pressed by pulling on line. The loop lets the bait behave better I found.
Last edited by kickingback on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I am not sure if I’m disqualified for this, but I don’t fish lights from a kayak. I generally fish lights from the pier to which they are mounted. In that case, and assuming you’re not asking about live/natural baits, I have been known to throw anything from a tandem speck rig (one white, one chartreuse preferred) to a soft plastic (small natural colors with paddle tails), to an imitation shrimp under a popping cork.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I throw a lot of tandem speck rigs, usually in glo or a combination of glow/chartreuse. I also like the 3” grub/mullet with a curl tail.

I fished a friend’s pier lights last night frim his pier. Caught three trout, all came on the glo white shad of a tandem speck rig. I also tried a 3” paddle tail in fire tiger but no takers. It was a little windy when I started and then once the wind starting calming down the dang mosquitoes came out and I couldn’t find my repellant so I only fished for a short period.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Usually need to match the hatch, but my favorite is the 2.75" Yo-Zuri 3DS Minnow in Ghost Shad. The new smaller DOA shrimp and spec rig kind of round this out. I mainly throw glow/white in the clearer waters where I fish.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Anything that moves will get a bite in most lights... but some lures are better than others at catching better size fish. 3D minnow jerked very erraticly works.. but I've caught better more finicky fish with the TSL slow reeled through the lights.. looks like a lone finger mullet trying to escape the melee and usually brings the bigger 17 to 18" fish out of each light.
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

My go-to is also the Yo-zuri 3DS minnow (2.75"). I've had REALLY good luck with the silver w/ black back. Not sure on the official color name but it's part number F1135-HBS. The one I'm using is chewed up to hell. I cast and retrieve it back at varying speed.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I like using a glow bone diamond Trout Support - great results last fall at Arroyo.
Next best is a tiny blue shad - sight fished several big specs over the canal green lights at Palm Harbor. You could just about walk on the bait in the canal, and the size of the bait perfectly matched the smallest Storm wild eyed shad
TannerJames

Post by TannerJames »

got one last night! he was 22 inches. caught him on that mini mirrolure i posted a picture of last post. replaced the hook and used a rapala knot and boy he took it. thanks for the advice guys i’ll be sure to try those other lures as well!

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

TannerJames wrote:
got one last night! he was 22 inches. caught him on that mini mirrolure i posted a picture of last post. replaced the hook and used a rapala knot and boy he took it. thanks for the advice guys i’ll be sure to try those other lures as well!

Well done! :clap:
I love the Rapala knot to let the lure "do it's thing"!
Glad it worked for you! Now there are at least 1000 other lures to try!!! :lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

also hard to beat a spec rig - at Arroyo last fall, got me a trout/snook double.
krfish

Post by krfish »

As most have said it's tough to beat a speck rig, but I've also had good luck chunking dark colored mirrodines in the lights as well.

preacherman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by preacherman »

Not any particular brand, but my best luck has always been a white curly tail plastic.