Moonlight sleigh ride

poleposition

Moonlight sleigh ride

Post by poleposition »

Blind squirrel and I launched as the wind was dying down Sunday night. Felt great out - 63 degrees and winds 8 or below from the NW. It was slow getting started. Only a speck each and one slot red for me in the first few hours. As time passed, the silhouettes started showing. And not just showing - big reds were popping on top! I shake a 2" paddletail on the bottom and I'm off on a ride with a 30" red. I haul her in after she hauls me around for a while and set her free. Later, we heard them from outside a canal and went in. Blind squirrel caught a beauty - 27" red. I caught a couple rats and we moved on. Approaching 2 underwaters, I throw and net another speck. As I'm stringing it, I see huge reds in the next light. One cast and I'm in. This girl took me further than the 30 incher. With drag locked down, I put one hand in the air and hold on for dear life! LOL. I'm hollering back at my buddy that I'll see him soon. So fun. Put her on the stringer but later got a better measurement and she topped 28". Took a pic at the ramp and watched her swim off. Ended up with 4 slots and 2 bulls with 2 keeper specks. Took home two 21" reds and two specks 16 and 19". Squirrel left with 1 red and 1 speck. We hit the ramp and realize we've been out nearly 8 hours...gotta warm up for the Nighttime tourney marathon! Just about everything was caught on 2-3" paddletails on 1/8 oz jigs. Got home and inspected the bellies. Interestingly enough, the reds had one kind of bait in their bellies and the specks were full of another kind of bait. I think I'll keep those secrets for now...Just for now. I'll fill you all in after I hoist my Nighttime tourney trophy. Good sportsmanship right? LOL. In all seriousness though, I really look forward to meeting you all and having a fun night of friendly competition. I can't wait. See y'all real soon.
Attachments
20180423_041506.jpg
20180423_041959.jpg
YakRunabout

Re: Moonlight sleigh ride

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report, thanks and congrats on the rides - those are a lot of fun!!
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Very nice!
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Love It! Sounds like y'all had a blast!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report! Glad you slayed them good! There are some big reds and trout down on the bottom near the lights and the trick is to get them to bite and not the little ones. I know what they had in their bellies as I saw them eating well the otehr night and up chucking their food on me when I pulled them in! :lol:
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Nice report and even nicer fish! Thanks.

Johnny Utah
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Great report. Caught a couple oversize for the fun of it and brought home perfect eating size Reds and Trout.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Wow & wow! Great nighttime report, Mr. Pole Position! You guys stuck with it & finally found the big ones. It's really cool to catch BIG reds & specks at night.
I'm surprised that your visually-challenged partner Blind Squirrel did so well, too! If he's your partner in the upcoming May 19th NIGHTTIME TOURNEY, Shoffer & I will gladly help him find some solid fish since he's apparently blind.
The same time you & Blind Squirrel were catching your fish, Shoffer & I were having an epic night, fishing the deep & mysterious Offats Bayou. The night lights over there are few & kinda dim, but a certain deep Offats hole was very good to us with specks & redfish. No GPS coordinates because the Nighttime Tourney is only about 3 weeks away, ha ha. Oh my!
Keep your fine reports coming, & watch for the final Tourney Rules by the end of this week! God bless the night warriors. Let the games begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk