Inflatable fishing kayak?

Chubs

Inflatable fishing kayak?

Post by Chubs »

Does such a thing exist?
I think I've seen a few listed on Google searches before at some point.

Anyone know anything or have any experience with an inflatable fishing kayak?

I'm thinking it could be nice to have a kayak I could travel to work with on site, all stowed in my ford F150 truck bed under cover. Then after work on site I could head out and inflate my kayak to get a little fishing time in.

Just a thought though. Anyone do something similar?
DanSerr

Re: Inflatable fishing kayak?

Post by DanSerr »

Chubs wrote:Does such a thing exist?

I'm thinking it could be nice to have a kayak I could travel to work with on site, all stowed in my ford F150 truck bed under cover. Then after work on site I could head out and inflate my kayak to get a little fishing time in.

Anything is poss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DanSerr

Post by DanSerr »

Anything is possible, although you will definitely need an anchor. And air pump.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sea Eagle has been making these for a while now...
https://www.seaeagle.com/?keycode=GA&ad ... jAQAvD_BwE

There are Youtube videos of people making their own foam/styrofoam kayaks. Lots of videos of people making new kayaks out of wood and other materials as well as adding motors and other gadgets. i think I've seen about everything you could do to build your own and rig it to the max.

Everyone should find an hour to watch some YouTube videos on lots of subjects.
Before you sit down, write down what you are looking for and stick to those searches. it is easy to drift to other videos in YouTube but if you watch only the ones you search for the better you find what you are looking for. Every so often a video pops up on the left and you may be interested in watching but I found it makes me click and watch things I didn't want to but looked cool at the time. Just don't drift off topic what you are looking for and you will find videos about ANYTHING!
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Hobie sells one called a Mirage i11s, with the Mirage pedal system. I used to see a guy in the Guadalupe on an inflatable catamaran kayak. They're out there. Google them up. TexasJim
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

A guy I work with has a couple of inflatables he and his wife use but they don't fish, just paddle. I would worry about hooks/fins taking one out. I'll see if I can find out which ones they have and if he thinks they would hold up to fishing use. I'll post later if I can find out.
kjack87

Post by kjack87 »

Two words : Advanced elements , highly recommend their kayaks.

Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Don't have an inflatable kayak, but recently sold my Amigo and bought a watermaster inflatable raft. Hoping I can get it out tomorrow for a maiden voyage to figure it all out.

Another thing to consider would be an inflatable fishing SUP... Example
https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingSUPs/FS ... voQAvD_BwE

@cigarsnjeeps
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I'm not sold on the SUP idea. In theory it would be cool to strap a small yeti on as a seat and then head out, but I just envision them not doing well in the swift flowing bayous I've been targeting lately.
But the Advanced elements, hobbie, and sea eagle kayaks look very nice actually.

They claim multi chambers so I'd assume a foul hook wouldn't end your day, and I'm sure there are patch kits.

I'm probably most worried about oyster rash and what it would do to the base hull. Unless it can shrug it off, a big long gouge on the base seems like it would be bad. However I think a lot of these have something the call drop stitched flooring, which I'm not sure what that means but the example shows it's almost like a hard plastic base that slides into the floor, and your actual inflation is in the kayak walls. So a gouge on the bottom in theory won't deflate anything, might just need to stitch it up later.

Cool ideas!
El Guapo77

Post by El Guapo77 »

My friend has an inflatable two person canoe. It works great for slow moving rivers and ponds. He uses it in the saltwater. It does not track very well and gets blown around in high winds. I would be concerned about oysters. I have been night fishing before on an inflatable kayak and had to rush l back to the launch because I could hear air escaping . I would go with a traditional kayak.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

oyster shell
crusher

Post by crusher »

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Man those uncharted water ones are really interesting.

I bet they have great maneuverability but poor stability and speed.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I watched their promo video -- pathetic, lol
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Hahaha ya I saw it and was like "ok what the heck are you guys advertising."

10 seconds of product demo in a 3 min video.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have been around inflatables for years and they work ok. The better ones handle oysters etc well. However none of them I have been around can handle hot tobacco ashes from a cigarette. They patch easily when you swim it back to shore. The wipe down required after use and before folding and storing takes too long in my opinion. The folding yaks have the same trouble.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

There are some new, interesting kayaks just hitting the market for those that might have storage/travel limitations. They're "nesting" kayaks. The Switchblade is a 17 ft. sea kayak in five sections, and the Pak-a-Yak is a 14 ft. yak in six sections. Both nest into small, duffel-size bundles for storage and travel. Neither looks like a fishing machine, but both are very innovative designs. Google "nesting kayak", and you'll see both, plus some others. Good videos. A little pricey, but what new innovation isn't? TexasJim
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Wow, that is pretty cool. Though at those prices i could buy an inflatable yak and a few replacements :)

Been thinking about this more. The inflatable route seems nice because it would more be like my long distance travel yak/ or extended stay during work yak. Id still primarily use my hard one, but when taking the hard one is either impossible or inconvenient then I'd have a good option. Probably wouldn't use it often enough to damage it too badly from oyster encounters. Just have to be a little more careful when i paddle the shallow areas.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Forget the inflatable kayak, how about a folding kayak!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/390-60- ... 45015.html

I'm sold, take my money!!!

The gig is up fellas, we need to return the river's lake now :(

Oh good, and it has "some buoyancy" too; that's good to know!

Shipping:
Can not deliver to United States
Drat!!!!