Fly fishing maiden voyage

salt_fly

Re: Fly fishing maiden voyage

Post by salt_fly »

By the way...You're supposed to take that clear plastic off of the cork :D
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Fly fishing maiden voyage

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

salt_fly wrote:By the way...You're supposed to take that clear plastic off of the cork :D
Yeah it really started bothering me yesterday too. The plastic wasn't bad but the stickers on it started getting a little gummy...lolImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Bayoutalker

Re: RE: Re: Fly fishing maiden voyage

Post by Bayoutalker »

I think I'm gonna like this!
Welcome to the Dark Side! Enjoy the addiction.

Cliff
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Glad to see you are sticking with it.
All good advice above.
Don't worry about your bargain outfit, some of my favorite rods are el cheapos.
The biggest problem I had starting out was transitioning from conventional tackle, I wanted to really muscle the line out.
Remember, what you are really doing is playing with line on a stick, like some kids do with yarn. Actually, they make practice outfits with yarn.
Keep sticking with it, it will all become second nature and you will love it.
But hey, you're already catching fish!
The next step ( another hobby addiction...) is tying your own flies.
Probably the biggest kick I get from fly fishing is catching fish on something I've thought up and put together.
BTW, Texas Flyfishers is a great club, lots of support there. If you live near Houston, the meetings are great, and they are having their April meeting tomorrow night.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Something else too, is wind.
I would not discourage you from avoiding it, because around here it is a fact of life.
But, starting out, probably a lot easier learning casting on calmer days.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

NativeSon wrote:Glad to see you are sticking with it.
All good advice above.
Don't worry about your bargain outfit, some of my favorite rods are el cheapos.
The biggest problem I had starting out was transitioning from conventional tackle, I wanted to really muscle the line out.
Remember, what you are really doing is playing with line on a stick, like some kids do with yarn. Actually, they make practice outfits with yarn.
Keep sticking with it, it will all become second nature and you will love it.
But hey, you're already catching fish!
The next step ( another hobby addiction...) is tying your own flies.
Probably the biggest kick I get from fly fishing is catching fish on something I've thought up and put together.
BTW, Texas Flyfishers is a great club, lots of support there. If you live near Houston, the meetings are great, and they are having their April meeting tomorrow night.
As much as I would like to, I can't see me tying flies. My fingers just aren't nimble enuf anymore and tedious things just get too aggravating for me. I've tried tying crappie jigs and that didn't go too well. Heck, I have a hard enuf time just tying knots in my line anymore. I hadn't thought about a fly fishing club so I appreciate the invite to the meeting but I live north of Fort Worth so will have to find a club a little closer to home. I think there is one around here tho. I know the lake I fished the other day is on the LBJ grasslands and is a fly fishing only lake (or at least its supposed to be but I see people fishing conventional gear there all the time) and I remember years ago seeing an article about a local fly fishing club that did some work setting up the structure and habitat for it so I will have to look into that. Thanks for mentioning it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I have a good friend who ties flies for relaxation, some who made money at it, others who are noted and talk at FFF meetings.
I'm a hand-to-mouth fly tier. Don't really enjoy it, but fill a hole in the box when it's needed.
The advantage is will let you learn what works better in your water than what's offered elsewhere.
Over time, once you learn the fishing part, you cull your fly patterns, anyway, to a handful of the most effective.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:I made it out to the small lake by my house today between rainstorms for a little practice and I think I'm getting the hang of it. My timings getting better as well as my technique I think. I even managed a few small bass. No 8lbers but its a start. I was even making some pretty good casts directly into the wind. I think I'm gonna like this!
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
and great news here - thanks for catching us up
imaoldmanyoungsalt

NativeSon wrote:Something else too, is wind.
I would not discourage you from avoiding it, because around here it is a fact of life.
But, starting out, probably a lot easier learning casting on calmer days.

Yeah I actually hate fishing calm days but the 25-30 mph winds with 35-40 mph gust we were having I can do without. Personally, I prefer the 15-20 mph wind that stack the baitfish up on the windward shores and points. Pretty easy to pattern fish on those days. However, me fly fishing in the wind right now is like a teenager learning to drive. You don't want them trying to learn the mechanics of driving while navigating rush hour traffic and me learning the mechanics of a good cast in the wind is, like you said, easier to do on a calm day. :D
imaoldmanyoungsalt

[quote="NativeSon"]Glad to see you are sticking with it.

This was the hardest thing for me to overcome. I really realized I was muscling it too much when the rod kept coming apart at the 1st ferrul. At first I thought the ferrul fit was just too loose but once I started slowing down and "letting" the rod do the work instead of trying to "make it" do the work, I haven't had anymore issues with it. Good advice for sure, Thanks NativeSon
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Ron Mc wrote:I have a good friend who ties flies for relaxation, some who made money at it, others who are noted and talk at FFF meetings.
I'm a hand-to-mouth fly tier. Don't really enjoy it, but fill a hole in the box when it's needed.
The advantage is will let you learn what works better in your water than what's offered elsewhere.
Over time, once you learn the fishing part, you cull your fly patterns, anyway, to a handful of the most effective.

Relaxation, ha, sicko's... :lol: :lol: :lol: