Rod and reel opinions

Camtheguitarman

Rod and reel opinions

Post by Camtheguitarman »

Recently purchase a abu Garcia black max combo and have yet to get to use it. Anyone have any info/opinions on this particular combo? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirk B.

Re: Rod and reel opinions

Post by Kirk B. »

I have the reel, paired with a med hvy ugly stick, and really like it for tossing Flukes and other soft baits. It works well for other stuff, too, but I usually swap rods to cast different types of lures. To much of a pain to re-rig every time.
Getting your adjustments right is key with these reels. You also don't want to buggy whip the rod. It'll birdnest on you in a heartbeat. Smooth is the word. (Ask me how I know, I'll tell you a guy told me....)
Start with the tension knob set so the reel stops when the lure does, if you just let it fall under it's own weight. Loosen or tighten from there to your preference.
I know you didn't ask all of this, but I figure maybe someone out there can use it.
Enjoy your new combo. Good luck!

Kirk B.
Camtheguitarman

Post by Camtheguitarman »

‘Preciate the insight, Kirk. Advice like that is always welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

I've used the black max reels for 5 years now. Only had one out of four completely fail on me, probably due to not cleaning it and using it every time I fished. Was my 2nd baitcaster and I really wish Cabelas would put them on sale again for 25 like they did 3 years ago...should have bought more. I have one of the Silver Max reels and use it alot too...more than my two Ardent reels.